iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter Lube

Started by learydeere, January 04, 2012, 09:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learydeere

I was just wondering what everyone was using for lube on their blade now that the temps have dropped.  I run water with pine sol during the summer and use windshield washer fluid when its below freezing but thats pretty expensive if you do any amount of sawing.  I tried spraying some diesel on the blade yesterday and it took the pitch off and worked good for a couple of cuts but then needed more.  Seemed like it would be too time consuming.  Any advice would be appreciated   thanks

jueston

the search bar at the top is your friend, it will yeild several threads on this topic....

thecfarm

It's a great debate here. First thing you have to get rid of the thought you need a steady stream as big as your finger. :D I use half diesel and half bar and chain BUT only a drip every few seconds. AND I am not using my wood to put a finish on it like furniture,just out buildings. Play around and see what works for you and have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave VH

I'm new to milling, and just learned 2 things,
- diesel fuel can take off pitch, AWESOME
- you can use diesel, and bar lube slowly to lube.

you guys are  a great resource, thanks
I cut it twice and it's still too short

cypresskayaksllc

I purged my lubmizer with windshield washer fluid a couple days ago. Unfortunately I didnt read the label and it wasnt rated for 23 deg. My lines froze. Furtunately I live in FLA and by 9am they had thawed.  ;D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

rogdan

It seems like the heat from the motor or exhaust could be used to keep the water flowing on a bandmill. On my TK 1220 I wondered about reversing the lube jug in it's bracket so the line routed more toward the motor and then plumb in a piece of copper line into the middle of the lube line and run it close to the muffler. the con's would be the line in the way likely especially with the added slack needed and this would be no help in keeping the jug itself thawed.
Now I say this not having tried winter time milling and not planning to unless the mud freezes up ::)

Chuck White

Here's a suggestion for you guys that saw in freezing weather!

Find something you can use for a 1-gallon tank and make a bracket to hold it and install it right up next to the engine where it would stay warm! 
Run plumbing down to the blade, near where the main lube line hooks up. 
Leave all of the plumbing for the main lube tank in place, because you'll be using it when the weather warms up.

If you only run a drip every few seconds, 1-gallon would last quite a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customdave

I use windshield wash year around, I don't have to worry when cold weather comes! I buy this in 2 1/2 gal jugs a 100 gals @ a time & I get a good discount, but it does take up space in the shed, but I've yet to run out in the vehicles since having the mill! ;)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!