iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grading on T.V.

Started by Jeff, September 13, 2002, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Diane Leibler (sp), you may remember her from the show Home Time the one with the guy and the gal building stuff, has a show of her own now on the learning channel. dont know the name of it, but guess it dont matter.

I just watched her doing a segment on built in furniture. She said you should always use FAS lumber. She says FAS stands for the first and second boards that are taken from the tree. ??? Pretty good discription of hardwood grading on a national T.V. show eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Was in "home remodeling" for 20 years. Never could get the hang of doing things as easy as the TV handy people. I guess that's why they make the BIG money,eh???  ::) Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

That's a good way to sucker buyers.  Tell them they need a cadillac when a chevy fits the bill.

I've gone to Lowe's and Home Depot to look at hardwood boards.  What I often see is some pretty good looking boards, but I couldn't sell them to my buyers as upper grades.  Often there is some form of defect that will knock it down as FAS lumber.  Mineral streaks is usually the culprit, as well as small pin knots.

One of the local mill owners has tried to impress people by having his office paneled in FAS red oak.  Most people just say it is a boring look.  Well placed knots quite often give a piece character, especially in cabinets and panels.  

The guy who really made a bundle was the man that sold knotty pine as cabinet lumber.  Until then, Americans would never use anything that wasn't clear.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

I doubt he made a dime out of it, Ron, but a buncha other folks sure did. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ARKANSAWYER

FAS is offten the first and second boards off the face of a log.  Also sometimes the 3rd, 4th and 5th.  To be FAS the board just has to be almost perfect and could have a small stain or pin knot at one end.  I like 1C better as it has more character.  As things are going soonn FAS will mean a board that does not break in half when you pick it up. :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!