Stihl 041AV

Started by sst04, June 24, 2011, 08:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sst04

Ya or Na,

Cranks and runs good, good chain.

How is the power of this saw?

Is 100$ good price?

I have a Husquvarna 350 18"bar now and wanted something a little bigger, will this do it?

sawguy21

What do you plan to do with it? That was a good saw in it's day but heavy and slow by today's standards. Parts are drying up so it is not very practical for daily use. If you need it for occasional duty that would be a good deal.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

shinnlinger

I have one I found in a junk heap and got running with little work, Sure beats an axe, but it is heavy and slow as sawguy said.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sst04

Thanks for the info guys,  I think I will pass on this one.  I held it and it is pretty heavy.  I really do not need another saw, I just want one with a 20in bar.

shelbycharger400

id pick it up for that if it only needed a few things.   step dad had a  o39  with a 20 in bar.    those saws arnt high rev, but they do have the right power curve for full burried bar cutting. 

Al_Smith

Well yeah they are "slower " but not like a snail or and old Sears gear drive .If it's an Av it's 72 cc's and should at least have some grunt to it .

So what to do it ? Race no, cut firewood yes .Geeze these guys mumble about heavy saws ,evidently born 40 years too late . :D

shelbycharger400

im 30 yrs old... and i use the heavy saws...cause they were free...and didnt run when i got them.

craftsman 917,,  with a 20 in bar now...  65 cc saw .. its beat, compression like a new saw, and cuts like mad!
deere 50v.   16 in bar  more i use it... more tired it gets.. but fires up 3rd pull.

i havent aquired the 5 to 7 + other saws..  craftsman/ poland/ husky/stihl . ect yet...at parents house

Al_Smith

From a design standpoint the 041 is kind of an oddball .The intake and exhaust are on the same side of the cylinder which doesn't lend well to a fast running engine .

I've seen a few of them that in fact cut pretty good all things considered . Like any old saw though they aren't for everyone . I suppose about a hundred bucks would seem to be about the average price if you snoop flea bay .On that though you kinda have to take the sellers word which is not always quite truthfull . Best to be able to test it out first else you could get a pig in a poke and then be on the forums trying to figure out how to fix the thing .

sst04

Quote from: Al_. Best to be able to test it out first else you could get a pig in a poke and then be on the forums trying to figure out how to fix the thing .
/quote]

Thats what I am skeptical about, being an old saw.  I have enough junk to work on already. :D

Al_Smith

Sometimes you get lucky and have a saw you don't have to work on before you use it .Other times not so lucky . It just comes with the territory .

TblRxDave

I was cutting down a dead oak for firewood this morning and the log rolled over on to my trusty old 041 and it broke the orange case were the handle bar mounts. I bought the saw new way back in the 80's and it's been the mainstay workhorse for all these years. I'd like to repair it. So I'm wondering where would be some good sources for new or used parts?

I just happend to see this post so I figured I'd just ask while ya'll were on the subject of 041's

Dave

shelbycharger400

i do know their is a Big warehouse dealer in south dakota for stihl saws, but to the life of me , cant remember the compays name,   

Ianab

QuoteSo I'm wondering where would be some good sources for new or used parts?

You can try "Chainsawr", on the sponsors list over there <===

Even if he doesn't have a part listed, drop him an email as he has new (old) saws waiting to strip for parts, so has a lot more stuff laying about that's not listed yet.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

shinnlinger

2nd that..  call Chainsawr...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

3 rd . I've had very good luck dealing with Scott .

ladylake

Slow revving or slow cutting, I have 3 different 80 cc saws, one is slow revving , one is high revving and one in the middle.  In a 20 second cut there isn't 1 second difference between them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

On that subject I'm right in the middle of falling and either salvaging the lumber logs or the firewood from about 20 ash trees stickened from EAB .I have a lot of saws ,all models ,shapes sizes . It's hard to keep them all exercised .

So while normally using either a Stihl 038 AV or 038 Mag ,both souped up ,I decided to limber up an old 700 McCulloch . Now that saw won't pull the RPM's the Stihls do but let me tell that with 20" of bar buried in a 30" log it will pull like a Georgia mule .So all in all it will do just about as well in the end of the day .So I imagine will this older Stihl do,the subject of this thread .

TblRxDave

Thanks for the info, didn't mean to steal the thread. I'll check out our sponser.

On the subject of the 041, I prefer the heavier 041 over my Husky 51 even though they are almost the same size displacement.
the 041 seems to have more torque when crosscutting logs or stumping. The 51 is lighter and revs higher, I usually use it for limbing.l

Dave

preventec47

Quote from: sst04 on June 24, 2011, 08:46:12 AM
Ya or Na,
Cranks and runs good, good chain.
How is the power of this saw?
Is 100$ good price?

Well SST, Did you buy it ?   I think the biggest headache for these is
the ignition because it is hard to know if it is electronic or points and condenser
and no easy way to tell the age or what kind of ignition.  From what I have
seen, whenever the ignition of either type croaks, the saw is put out to
pasture as I do not think there are any available replacement parts.
If you bought it already, tell us how you like it ?
Where in Georgia are you located ?   Me Too.

Ax- man

I never cared for the plain Jane 041. On the other hand a 041 Super is a much better saw and now were talking my language 8)

Thank You Sponsors!