iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for mid-summer forest cruise..

Started by chain, August 16, 2011, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

..always like to coincide with squirrel season as in mid-August the bushey-tails begin their cuttings. Also, the forest begins to show the first signs of fall, diseased trees begin to stand out, and a general forest health check-up is noted.

But this year I've added a couple of personal items to wear or tote for safety, a pair of snake-proof boots and a small side-arm to backup the little marlin .22 squirrel rifle. Bears and hogs are two recent additions to our forests, even mountain lions are reported to be increasing in central Missouri.

The idea of walking around looking up at crowns of trees lends its own danger to the wild and unexpected...not to mention stepping in stump holes! :o

chain

Assessing this summer's forest health I gave a B+; however, mother nature gave another un-needed whack to some good timber. I can tell you, the damage overall in the vicinity of the eastern Missouri Ozarks forests is startling.

White oak really looks good and recovered nicely from an outbreak of last year's leaf-gall. I don't know if there's anything more attractive than pole-sized whiteoaks, straight and solid, standing their place in the forest.

Some areas of TSI from three years ago are really taking off, need to chain-saw some escapes of cull hickory and sweet-gum.

Short-leafed pine doing well upon the ridges...but the downer is pole pine mortality on a lower slope that was previously an old pasture. A few Black cherry of small saw-timber class is doing well in the diseased pine stand.

Snake boots performed very well insofar as  comfort, support, and leg protection from briars, etc. Gives more confidence as when I barge into a thick grassy patch of weeds...and too, as the boots are lace-ups I adjusted the laces to where I could slip them off and on without doing all the lacing. No snakes seen! :)

Texas Ranger

Pictures, we need pictures, got my schooling in the Ozarks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chain

Yes. I know we need photos. BUT there is something about this dial-up that's caused me to lose confidence and patience and trust...don't know if this 'puter hates me more than I hate it!

I put together a slide show of our Tree Farm, also a few slides of Mark Twain National Forest, and gave a program at one of conferences a few years back. In fact, I had a series of shots of a walk-through our tree farm just for the forum here, don't have the slightest where they went! :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chain on August 21, 2011, 10:46:17 AM

I don't know if there's anything more attractive than pole-sized whiteoaks, straight and solid, standing their place in the forest.

I could make some suggestions. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

"Beauty is bought..

..by judgement of the eye"

Shakespeare

:)

Thank You Sponsors!