iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

298 , 2100 and others.

Started by mcourtney, April 13, 2021, 05:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcourtney

Still waiting on answers between the 298 , 2100 and 2101 . Whats the differences ?

ehp

298 was a lighter built saw compared to the 2100 , was not built for many years thou , well not in my area , 2100 was built then it became the 2101 , pistons were different as thick or thin ring 

DHansen

When I was looking at a 298 I learned of the weak starter cover system on the 298 and the recommended conversion to the 2100 starter cover system.

fossil

The 298 didn't have a manual oiler either.
Tim

Real1shepherd

The 298 was a failed marketing effort by Husky to make a 'lighter' 2100 by leaving off the manual oiler and putting on a plastic pull starter. The folks who bough them new soon had the starter fail and the fix was to put on a starter assembly from a 2100/2101.

The differences between the 2100 and the 2101 were minimal. They used a spring AV at the bottom of the 2101. Thin ring pistons were not a mark of 2101 saws. They were in limited production of both the 2100 and the 2101 runs. In the woods back in the day, the thin rings had a bad reputation for reliability. A lot of the collectors now are trying to rewrite history and say that was an owner issue and no fault of the production saw.

Although I'm a diehard for production work and the 2100, I'd take a 2101 in a heartbeat.....they're mostly the same saw. It allowed Husky to have an extended run on the same saw design. That saw design was used in production for almost 20yrs. It was replaced by the 3120 and the 394.

Even the 1100CD is an interesting saw to own....it's actually the father saw to the 2100.

Kevin

mcourtney

Thank you guys for the information . I just gave my son my barely used 394 that I bought new in 1997. I just run my 2171 and 2172 anymore . Always wanted the Jonsered version of the 357 .

Al_Smith

At the risk of once again  I'm not a professional and often remined of that fact I'll chime in .I own just one 2100 Husky CD which probably sat on a barn floor on some island off Washington state  for 20 plus years .Got it cheap and stuck a used coil on it and rebuilt the carb and just some cosmetic work .From the perspective of a part time novice it's a very powerful saw and is well made .They are still sought after even as old as they are ,that I do know .

I recently used it on some 24" hickory logs and even for sitting 4 or 5 years it fired right up and ran  like a scalded ape .That old gal has still got it . :)

Thank You Sponsors!