iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Patrick makes a good point along the lines I was thinking by using a strap. I guess you could place a long bar along the cant and make a couple turns around it and the cant with a wide strap then turn it with the bar but all this involves a lot of time and you have to lift the log/cant for clearance to wrap the strap (like Patrick describes). There is a big safety issue too. When a cant hook slips bad things happen. That is why I describe my LogRite as a piece of safety equipment rather than as a sawmill tool because it does such a good job biting into the wood and holding rather than slipping like a dull pointed hook.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

after the log is a cant, it is easier to grab the edge of the cant,  can you slip a bit of hose on the tip so it does not dig in.  just leave the sharp points for the rounded sides that will be cut off.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Roundhouse

Quote from: SpaceBus on September 12, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations for a non-marring cant hook? I have a Woodchuck Dual which is great for bucking firewood, but I don't like that sometimes It laves indentations on the cant face.
As others have mentioned, a strap and a winch will do the trick. Much easier to build this in if you are not mobile. This is how mine is set up. I will still turn with the hook often (it's slightly faster than getting out the strap) but I strap and winch if the cant is too big. The old ATV winch I had laying around and installed it over the mill, it works OK but an upgrade is coming soon as this has proven to be an essential part of my milling.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

doc henderson

there was a thread on making large wooden open end wrenches, but you either need a whole set, or a close to standard size cant.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DWyatt

Seems like something like a chain wrench (not sure if that's the right name) would work. Basically a 60" handle with a length of strap attached to the end and a strap buckle like you see on refrigerator carts. Put the handle on top of the cant, quick hook of the strap through the buckle and turn.

doc henderson

I think they make a strap wrench to remove oil filters and such,  If it had a cam that would tension the band pulling in one direction, and slack in the other like a ratchet, might be handy.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2020, 05:18:16 PMWeather permitting my next sawing job is scheduled for Tuesday sawing SYP, Oak, & Poplar.
Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sally has postponed my sawing until the end of the week.  The rainfall prediction for here is ~10" but our biggest threat is/should be tornadoes that might be spun off.  Tuesday will be our "big day" so we will just hunker down.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I've just been piddling sawing a small 6-7 ft long spruce log every day or two to work on my deer blind project and yesterday I resawed a 6' basswood 2X12 into 2- 3/4" boards and a trim cut and took them to the flea market to a customer today. This afternoon I had a guy bring me 4-8' and 2-10' treated 4X4's. He had removed them from a deck or something and washed them good and cut off one end with a nail in it. He wanted them each re-sawed into 3-1X4 boards. I offered to swap him other wood I had in stock for them but he was determined that was what he needed. I put them down 2 at a time as I was scared the clamp might buckle and slip with a 3rd one, set the scale at 3.5", Simpleset to 1-1/8", 2 drops and 2 passes per pair and after a whopping 6 cuts we were done and he was very well pleased. I had warned him the treating might not reach the center and a couple looked a little paler inside but he said he was going to stain them anyway. I felt guilty charging him $10 but I know I had more time in it that that setting up and he was happy. He came with 52' of 4X4 he could not use and left with 156' of 1X4's he could. You never know what people will come up with.

I packed up the mill and took it to the front lot and gave it a bath in preparation for a 1 mile trek and 3-4 small white oak logs for a neighbor tomorrow. When I put my water hose up I saw the R tire on the mill was flat. My little 12V  compressor would not pump it up so I put the spare on and will take this one to the shop tomorrow to see what the problem was.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KenMac

Quote from: doc henderson on September 13, 2020, 10:19:50 AM
I think they make a strap wrench to remove oil filters and such,  If it had a cam that would tension the band pulling in one direction, and slack in the other like a ratchet, might be handy.
I think that a shorter strap choked on the cant, you could turnit with a pry bar or 4' 2x2 even. Something I may try to rig up.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

doc henderson

I should clarify, my thought was to make a large version of the strap wrenches that are made for oil filters, like the big wooden open end wrenches seen in some other thread.  

WDH

You could also buy a mill with hydraulics and a two plane clamp :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2020, 07:45:48 PM
You could also buy a mill with hydraulics and a two plane clamp :).
Danny:
That would be too easy.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

quadracutter222

A few of the last jobs:

Small package for a hot tub privacy fence and change room
1x4, 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, 6x6

2pc 10x10's for a custom driveway gate.  Now I know why it is called a dead deck, cuz when you load big logs you are dead ;)

If you off load with a forked piece of equipment and ever struggle to load, you need a beam bar in your life.  Tap a wedge into the curf at the end of the log, insert beam bar, and lever up.  Place a chuck of 2x4 in, repeat on the other side.  Lots of room for forks to slide right in, or straps to get around.

Bucking and sorting 8's, 12's and 16's for the next few cut list.  A garden fence for my folks and a woodshed for me.  Full length logs in behind the 8's

Ed_K

I use a rope winch hanging from the rafters works great.
Ed K

boonesyard

Sure is nice when the customer shows up with with mostly cants. 3 of us got through this in 3 hrs, 3 blades, no metal. Started raining about 1/2 way through the job but we motored through it. WOW, WRC dust sure sticks to everything when it's raining.

1850 BF of fencing and 1x10's. 

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WV Sawmiller

A real long day for the small amount accomplished. 379 bf of mostly WO with one RO log. Biggest was 12' and 100 bf of 4/4 boards. 2 logs became 8' 2X4's and the rest were "Board Feet" as my 86 y/o customer called them. He was walking with a cane, half blind, terrible tractor driver and I ended up doing the stacking too. More of a social visit than a work day but I enjoyed most of it. I did have intermittent problems with the engine bogging down on the mill. I could never pin it down but seemed like it was worse after it had run a while rather than fresh started after setting a few minutes. The cuts all looked good even though the logs seem to have been down a while and there were some big knots in a couple. i will call WM in the morning. I'm hoping it is something simple like an air filter or fuel filter or such and may go ahead and swap them. This job was a mile away but I have one big job in a couple weeks and a 2 day job about 45 miles away and need to be sure it is working right before then. 
Howard Green

Magicman

Oh My!!  Just when I think that I can finally dig out, a repeat customer calls with over 200 16' SYP and Oak logs to saw.  The SYP will be framing lumber and the Oak will be 1" "boards".  Just a rough estimate puts this at over 30Mbf.  The good thing is that I can probably saw for a week and then skip a week or so.  Hopefully I can work Marty into this job to do a good portion of the sawing.  Hopefully.

I just put another customer off until after the first of the year that has even more and larger logs.  I estimated ~40Mbf for him and he wanted to know "when"?  Thankfully his "logs" are still standing.

This lumber/timber business is crazy.  Lumber prices are through the roof and yet the landowner is being offered virtually nothing for his timber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on September 13, 2020, 10:19:50 AM
I think they make a strap wrench to remove oil filters and such,  If it had a cam that would tension the band pulling in one direction, and slack in the other like a ratchet, might be handy.
A Ford Wrench comes to mind.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-11-in-Automotive-Sliding-Wrench-C711H/204062926?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA-71700000014585962-58700001236285396-92700010802552391&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8WBosrq6wIVlIrICh09cAHUEAQYBCABEgJUBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Just make a huge one and put wood inserts in the flat "jaws".  I am thinking like  a bigger version of the sliding wood clamps, on a grand scale.  Even a pry bar with an overcenter latch that opens and closes parallel jaws.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

cutterboy

I've been sawing red oak. There were four logs and I sawed up the last one this morning.

These logs were flat sawed but there was some nice flecking near the pith.

I ended up with a nice little wack of lumber and a lot of the boards are clear.

I love the look of red oak but I do not like the smell. Now, pine smells good and pine will be my next sawing project.

All the best.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jim_Rogers

Don't like to see this:

Hopefully I won't hit it but most likely I will.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I got another call today and drove out and looked at his logs.  :o

This SYP will be 2X6 and larger framing lumber for the customer's new home.  There is an identical whack of Red Oak behind this that will be 8X8 post as well as inside trim lumber, etc.

It just keeps on piling in.  ::)

donbj

You're a force to be reckoned with MM.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

gump

A friend just brought over a Yellow birch log that was submerged in an adjacent lake for at least 130 years! This was cut for Veneer with axe and crosscut saw and hauled out on the ice by horse. Obviously this log never made the brook and sunk. It is around 11 feet long and 32" at the butt ( 31" top). What treasure will this hold!?

Jim_Rogers

Solved that problem:

I didn't need any lumber from that top end of the log.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

Hemlock bridge planking job 4x8x14 then
Red oak 5/4×5×8 Fence board job.
The orders keep coming in.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!