iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how aggressive can you get with air dried lumber in a kiln?

Started by hackberry jake, August 30, 2015, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I had a bunch of flooring at about 19% mc. I put it in the kiln two days ago and checked it today and it's around 13%. That seems too fast, so I turned off everything in the kiln and got on the Forestry Forum.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Den Socling

If it's truly in the teens, you're not going to hurt it.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You cannot do much damage at this low MC, except if you over dry.  Over drying means more cup, more brittle wood when machining, poorer gluing, darker colors, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

hackberry jake

Driftless

I have a similar question that kind of goes with this thread.  I usually air dry all of my lumber (down to about 13%) and then bring in my shop to equalize.  I have had mixed results especially in the summer time. 

I have access to a hot air chamber (over a weekend) that is heated with electric heaters to 140 F.  I measured the humidity in the chamber and it is right around 6-10%.  This seems too dry to use as a kiln to finish off the air dried wood. 

Thoughts?  Seems like I could do more damage than good trying to use this chamber.  Would it be too much of shock putting room temperature wood right into a 140 degree chamber?  Maybe I should stick with my shop build DH kiln idea.  I only need a few hundred board feet at a time anyways.

Thanks! 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Dry wood can change temperature without any risk.  However, it cannot change humidity.  The relative humidity in a house is between 30% average in the winter heating season and 50% in the summertime.  This means the wood will be 6% to 9% moisture.  If you have 10% RH in your oven, that is about 2% moisture content in wood and is way too dry and will damage the wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!