iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My crane setup

Started by Edvantage, December 20, 2019, 02:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edvantage

I can rotate a crane but not a picture!

Thought y'all might be interested in my crane setup. It drives on the i beams thru my front door opening to the center of the house. The concrete piers out front will be for porch columns later. I can reach 27 feet vertical and lift 3500#s at 20' horizontal. I will not run a full header log on front wall so I can drive thru door and lift timber trusses. The door header and sides will be framed and covered in fieldstone. Logs are red pine 20-24" butts and 16" plus tips. Nice part is I can do all of my work on deck without having to move snow around house perimeter. I also do not have access around house due to terrain. 

btulloh

That's an interesting piece of equipment. 

What is all that white debris that's covering everything up?  It looks like work would go smoother without that stuff.  :D

Thanks for posting. I'd like to know more about the crane. 
HM126

Ljohnsaw

Nice!
Quote from: btulloh on December 20, 2019, 03:29:54 PMI'd like to know more about the crane.

+1
There must be some cam rollers under the I beam top flange?  What is the lift capacity at full extension?  You just use the I beams as counter balance?  Did you buy it or are you renting/leasing?  If I did the math right, it is about 7'-8' tall when in lowest configuration?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Edvantage

I bought this for 2k. Had to make 9" bronze bushings for swivel. factory bushings cost 3600.00. Bought bronze flat bar for 100.00 rolled it into ring welded the joint and machinined too size. House is on basement I poured thick pad in basement floor and have steel columns up to crane. In front of house two concrete piers 16" dia and 4 feet deep anchor I beam. Hydraulic motor drives crane on beams with large rollers under beam flange. House is 32 x40 so from center I can just reach all of house. The crane is powered by 23 hp kohler engine and also has remote cable . Was truck mounted crane from local block plant.  With the size logs I have, snow terrain, and limited cash this crane is an absolute miracle for me and my family as it has made this project possible. Saturday we where able to notch and scibe fit first two logs over base logs. My help is three boys ages 9, 14, 15. Will post some more pics

Edvantage

gump

Real nice logs you have there! Looking forward to more pictures. I built a full scribed log cabin but was limited to the size of logs because I had no way of lifting them. 

JJ

Edvantage

lots of progress today 3 1/2 logs= 61" tall. 

thecfarm

Keep those updates coming!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Edvantage

Edvantage

bodagocreek2

samandothers

Love the crane idea.  Seems to be working well.  Good progress given the weather.

Edvantage

Actually weather has been decent. Working in snow is better than rain. Everything stays clean no dirt/mud. Logs can dry. The crane is a major time saver. Really got started on logs Dec 13. This is part time (day job is metal Fab/machining)so I get evenings and Saturdays. Daylight is coming back. Midwinter we where in the dark at 5:30.  Made this scriber based off one I had seen for  Did my own anodized was supposed to be red but came out kind of light.  

Edvantage

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Edvantage

One year update. End of March most logs where up. April - June hauled and  milled 2x6 pine for ceiling, 6 x12 hemlock rafters and 2x12 hemlock rafters. August and September milled fluted center post, timber framed truss, and set ridgebeam. I was injured in Sept and have not been able too work. My teenage boys set 6x12s , installed t&g ceiling , 2x10 rafters with 9" styrofoam, and finished roof. I sat in chair and coached them. They also built dormer on porch. Crane was used to set all rafters gable ends and than removed out front door. Hoping to get docs O.K. to go back to work in January.

AK Newbie

Thanks for sharing the information on your crane.  Your cabin is coming along wonderfully, it looks beautiful.  I love the large scribed logs with cedar shingles in the gables look.  In fact we are just finishing up a remodel/addition to a 30 year old mushers cabin.  We put the faux cedar smart siding shingles in all the gable ends vs real cedar. (save $$ and maintenance as I age :))  Sure wish we had access to those large logs up here in Alaska! I hope your health improves and your able to get back too work real soon!  Pictures 
aren't super good but you can see what I'm talking about.

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Edvantage

I was able to buy the shingles from a local small scale mill. Lucky to be able to make the balance of lumber myself with current prices what they are. The pine I milled to make 2x6 t&g (500 pcs) was free. I paid 500 for planing. We grooved both edge and used 3/8 plywood for spines. Easier than making tongues. The logs are amazing not sure I could find more like them easily. My center column is 17" dia. Which I milled 16 flats. 27' long from basement to ridge. It has one dime size knot. I will attach spiral stair treads at the flats. Very enjoyable project. 

Thank You Sponsors!