iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with figuring a beam

Started by LarryG, December 23, 2020, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryG

I'm in the planning stage of my sawmill shed this coming year. It will be
post and beam. I have been looking in the tool box on the beam calculations but I have to admit it is over my head lol. I have big white pines here in northern WI. I was thinking I want 16'6" clear span minimum would like to have 17' Not sure if I am figuring correct for this but I came up with 7"x10" beam. We have a 45 pound snow load. Shed size will be 16'x28'with the same size beam down the middle to have a large open area. My other question is how to tie it into the posts on each end or should it sit on the post. 
Woodland Mills 126
Yanmar 424 Tractor

everythingwood

Hi Larry,

No engineer here but 16 feet is not an excessive span for a tie beam in a timber frame.  Hope some of the regulars will chime in on sizing the beam but you are probably in the ballpark.  In my workshop I have 8x10 red pine tie beams that span 16 feet.  The attic space is decked and holds at least a few thousand pounds of lumber (spread out and stickered) for additional air drying.  

Since you are asking on a timber faming forum I would say no, you cannot just put the tie beams on top of the posts.  I think most of the design is in the joinery.  Personally, I used wedged through tenons that are housed in the posts for extra strength.  Search for "anchor beam" and you should find it.  In my current design I can't have the tenons protruding so I'm planning on a wedged dovetailed tenon.  Of course you need to consider post size, spacing, and bracing.  I have lurked and read enough already to know the guys with the knowledge are probably waiting on more details... and drawings.  

mike_belben

I suggest double posts sistered side by side on each end of the clearspan beam, the inner two shorter that the outer two by 10".  So that the beam is both in series with some form of joinery to the rest of the top plate and still resting fully ontop of the shorter posts to the inside.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!