iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

West Nile Virus

Started by CHARLIE, August 25, 2002, 05:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

The West Nile Virus has hit Minnesota with a vengence. No people have been infected yet but as of August 25th, 152 horses have died and that's been in just the past couple of weeks. From what I understand, it is an angonizing death too.  This I don't understand. The Veternarians were telling people in advance to get their horses vaccinated against the West Nile virus.  It takes a couple or three shots and about 2 weeks for the vaccination to give the horse full protection and it costs about $25 per shot. Now you would think that a person's investment in a horse would be more than the $75 to protect it from dieing.  I just don't get why 152 horses have died when there is a vaccination available.

I reckon one advantage Minnesota has is that our winters will kill the mosquitoes, but we have awhile before that will happen. I hope anyone on the forum that owns horses are keeping their eye out for for this and protect your horses. When it starts happening, it may be too late to vaccinate.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

Those mosquitos will die off, but the birds will migrate and return next year.  Crows and blue jays are being hard hit.  I've also heard of grackles and starlings.  We even had a flock of chickens get it.

There have been horses that have gotten it, but I haven't heard of too many lately.  Most owners have gotten the vacine, since we have had the virus for a couple of years.

They expect that people will become immune to the disease.  Only a small percentage of people come down with a full blown case.

Its been so dry in our area, I haven't seen a mosquito for quite some time.  When they start breeding in dust, then we'll have problems.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I was told that just about any bird can get it.  We've had cases of house finches getting it in this state.  A crow just tested positive for it last week in my home county which is Cheboygan Co.  From what I hear that people pay for a hay burner I would think that a $75.00 is pretty cheap insurance.  I haven't heard of any horses dying here in Mi from the virus but that doesn't mean they haven't.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don P

Many of the mosquito traps around Rockford IL have tested positive for infected mosquitos. They've cautioned that most human cases occur in late August/ early September...keep the DEET handy.

Gordon

Thank You Sponsors!