iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon

Started by neslrite, February 19, 2005, 08:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neslrite

Yes, the rumors are true I am heading off to Oregon next week for the Oregon Logging Conference and I have a couple of questions???

1. Are there any strange local customs that I should be aware?  ;D
2. We tried grits and biscuits and gravy in VA, Pasties in MI and Paul Bunyan burgers in OH. What can I bring back for Tammy to try from Oregon?

Looking forward to meeting some more FF folks in Oregon.
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

WV_hillbilly

Bring back some  Myrtlewood from out there it is  neat looking wood .  Other than that I have no idea .
Hillbilly

SwampDonkey

Bring back some Alaska Cedar or Yellow Cypress , it has a lasting aroma kinda like peeled carrots. The heartwood is indestructable, if only by fire. In BC, I think it mostly is exported to Asia.

Prolly they are a bunch or perogy-phobics out there. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tillaway

Yep, you ask for a Coke, you get a Coke.  Its pop out here.  And things can be a "a bit spendy" as in most of the equipment at the show.

Oregons idea of the first amendment protects exoctic dancing as freedom of speach.  There are lots of bars were this sort of entertainment flourishes.

Eugene is a "bit" on the hippy, crunchy, tree hugger side.  Its ironic the logging conference is held there. 

Its Steelhead and the beginning of spring chinook season.  You might want to go fishing while you are here. Also bring your golf clubs.

Bring back local fish, Oysters, Tillamook cheese, local wine, microbrew (lots of small breweries around).
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Tillaway, you just about cover the whole log.   Some nice piece Oregon Oak would be a nice gift.   Another item would be a nice piece of Western Big Leaf Maple burl for turning purposes.   ;D
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

Yep...Willamet Valley wine ;) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frank_Pender

Yep, I have access to that, as well.  In fact I have a fella just down the road that has a vinyard that produces only about 500 gallons a year.  I will check with him for you Kevin and see what we can come up with.
Frank Pender

sawguy21

There is a great Scotch bar in Eugene, wish I could remember the name. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen_Wiley

Normally I would suggest you bring an Umbrelella and Raingear.  ::)

This year you better have shades and maybe even suntan lotion. 8)

To bad it isn't later in the year.................Oregon has the best grown fruit ; Blueberries, Strawberries, Marionberries, Katataberries, Loganberries, Apples, Peaches, Pears, etc.

Actually, there is much more............so wait till ya get here and see what suits your fancy.

Oh the Hilton sometimes serves:  Elk steaks , they often add blueberries with brown gravy.  First time I got a plate, I told the waitress that I was happy the meat was fresh........but they didn't  have to add them berry droppings for effect.  She had not previously realized that the brown gravy made them blueberries look like the real thing.  :D
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

neslrite

Was just looking at the map of Oregon and noticed that you guys out there have the other end of my Highway :o. I live about 3 miles from Interstate  84 and who would have thought that Frank Pender lives just down the road :D.

Kevin

Stephen_Wiley

1-84 to Portland south on I-5 to Eugene

Is that the way your planning on reaching Eugene?  Ifn you have the time might want to take off from Ontario - head pertty much west through the prarie to Sisters (don't bring the wife or she will want to move there) continue over the McKenzie Pass and enjoy the scenery and the ride.

Ooopss......there is still a little snow up in them thar hills.  But I think you could make it.

neslrite

It would be a nice drive, but I am flying into Portland. Come to think of it we got a Portland Connecticut too.

Kevin

Wife

Kevin, say hi to Rex on the peterson stand and lok after the guy please. Its his first trip to the USA. I think he is enjoying it so far. Have fun guys, wish I was their.
Chris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Gilman

neslrite,
I'm only about 15 - 20 minutes from PDX. If you'd like I could pick you up and take you for a quick tour of my area and then drop you off at your car rental.  Wouldn't mind a bit.

Also, you might want to try some smoked salmon. If I picked you up I could bring you a quick nourishing snack.

ELSEIF See you in Eugene
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Stephen_Wiley

Went down to the OLC yesterday,

Did not get a chance to meet any of the 'new Oregon FF members'.  But still met another FF member: Kevin  neslrite .   Seems the Oregon weather changed the color of his face a little.
However,  :D  :D  :D  Friday, it clouded up and presented the appearance of possible rain.  Thus giving Kevin a reprieve from more sunburn.

Was able to of course to say a 'howdy' to  'Frank Pender' and  'Lindsay' of DL mills.  Saw 'Sawmill John' but never got the opportunity to say 'hi'.

Frank_Pender

Gilman, You never offered me Salmon, if I come down the Willamette River and cross the Columbia river. :D  Kevin decided to take a different route back to Portland.  He headed West from Eugene and was going to take a tour North along the Oregon Coast and head East from Cannon Beach, back to Portland and his flight out at 10:00 tonight.
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

I really want to thank everyone who had a chance to come the the Logging Conference and stop by the Mobile Dimesion Mill site for a visit sure enjoyed seeing everyone.  It seems to be a tradition for some of us to gather, for a few minutes anyway,  at the Conference.  I know Sawmill John and Don took a few pictures.  I am sure some of them will appear on the Forum as the days pass.  Thank you all for your visit.   Frank Pender
Frank Pender

neslrite

Gilman,
Sorry I did read your post in time or I would have taken you up on the offer.

I was WOFFA!  (with out forestry forum access)
Kevin

Stephen_Wiley

Kevin,

The sun came back out today in full force.............would have been a great day down in Florence or anywhere on the coast or mountain lakes.

Thank You Sponsors!