iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where Do You Get Your Wood From? [Alabama]

Started by dsimms, November 23, 2014, 11:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsimms

I am semi retired, and somewhat disabled, and I have lots of time on my hands....

so my question is not for the million dollar business that operates a tree service and
has the ability to pull unlimited wood onto their property. This question is for the one man
show looking to make some extra change; Where do you get your wood from?

Every now and then I may get a call that goes something like this:
"my tree fell, can you come clean it up, take all you want, bla, bla"
I only have a 4x4 and 5x8 dump trailer so my hauling capacity is
already limited. I have 5 acres, storage not a problem. :) but by
the time you have to make 5 trips, coming and going, gas, labor,
and so on; I am sure you guys know how this drill works....

In Alabama, firewood is normally sold by the truck load
ie: 4x4, maybe because it is not nearly as cold here then
it is in the northern states, that is my guess.

Any log/wood suppliers in Alabama?

Thanks

bandmiller2

Simms, get in touch with some local tree service guys. Are you southern AL. or northern. If theirs little demand for firewood they probably have a yard full and will deal. Mayby you could exchange light work for wood depending what your skills are. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nate379

We buy timber from state or borough sales.  They put tracts up for bid, usually anywhere from 100-200 acres a tract, 10-30k price range.

Then there are land clearing jobs as well.  Making fields for farms, clearing house lots, etc.

Hard to say for your area, but here you pretty much need to be setup with a log truck, excavator, dozer, feller buncher, skidder, etc to be competitive.

Once pretty well setup your name travels and people call/come by often "hey I've got xyz land I'm looking to put xyz on, what would it cost to make it treeless and usable"
Most folks when at that point don't want to wait long for it to happen.  One guy felling by hand and loading by hand wouldn't usually work.  They usually expect 50 acres to be cleared by noon tomorrow type thing  :D

Get calls sometimes from homeowners with a massive tree about to fall on their house and they expect we can drop it for free since they would give us the wood.... yeah... not happening.

Thank You Sponsors!