iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm 14 and just BUILT my own mill.

Started by Virginia Lumberjack, March 24, 2024, 08:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Lumberjack

I'm 14 and made a Virginian mill. I made this in 3 hours. Here is a video of it:

https://youtu.be/Oq9GfJEbnAo?si=C2FtSPLvwZPSxnyR

How did I do y'all?
I'm a ( young ) man of Stihl.

SawyerTed

I like it!  Stay motivated, there's no limit for a young person with this kind of drive and creativity!

I'm impressed.  I'd love to see you build a bench to get up off the ground for sawing those shorts and smalls.  

Keep up the good work!  I for one want to see more!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rusticretreater

Cool beans!

Here's something to take a look at.  This guy builds woodworking machines out of wood!  I built my own jointer from examples on his website.

Here is his hand built bandsaw mill.

https://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Virginia Lumberjack

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 24, 2024, 08:37:09 PMCool beans!

Here's something to take a look at.  This guy builds woodworking machines out of wood!  I built my own jointer from examples on his website.

Here is his hand built bandsaw mill.

https://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html

I'm headed to Expo Richmond soon! What about you?

rusticretreater

Hadn't really thought about it.  Thanks for reminding me.  I am interested in seeing the wood kilns close up.  If I go it will be April 12th I think.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Magicman

I welcome you to the Forestry Forum and admire your innovation.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

Great job on the mill!   :thumbsup:   What ya been building with yer woodworking skills?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

cutterboy

Good job VL, that's thinking outside the box. I like your energy level and your sense of humor. Keep it up and show us more.

I'm an (old) man of Stihl.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

maineshops

Pod job and a great start on a rewarding real life experience. Dan
Phil:4, 13

oldgraysawyer

Awesome, keep it up and it will become a rewarding life. 
DB in WV

SwampDonkey

Way to go on your mill. Be safe out there. A lot of us were young and experimenting back then to. Most of us came through the other side in tact. Keep a first aid kit around. :thumbsup: 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Adding to the "good on ya". My last milling mission involved sawing up some Japanese Cedar (Sugi) logs and delivering it to my daughters school for their "tech week". The whole idea that you could find logs locally and mill them was foreign concept, until I donated about $600 of wood. A chainsaw mill might not pass the school's Health and Safety, but my daughter could put on some earmuffs and help me at the mill site after school, and got a shout out at school for it. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Percy

Very cool!! And you got some serious energy and problem solving skils. Good to see.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Virginia Lumberjack

Quote from: Ianab on March 26, 2024, 05:19:54 AMAdding to the "good on ya". My last milling mission involved sawing up some Japanese Cedar (Sugi) logs and delivering it to my daughters school for their "tech week". The whole idea that you could find logs locally and mill them was foreign concept, until I donated about $600 of wood. A chainsaw mill might not pass the school's Health and Safety, but my daughter could put on some earmuffs and help me at the mill site after school, and got a shout out at school for it.

New Zealand is different though. Here in this part of the US, all of the kids around here are couped up indoors even though most everybody around here is within a half-mile walk of something. I only know of a couple kids that do this stuff, and they are all out of state.

Thank You Sponsors!