iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer  4 deg  blades  ?

Started by Ohio_Bill, January 10, 2003, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

Has  anyone  tried the new 4 deg   wood mizer blades ?
I have about 2000 bf. of hickory to saw and it will dull the regular  double hard  blades in about 400 bf .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Minnesota_boy

Gosh, I thought you had to wait until it was that temperature to use them.  I usually don't get that much bd-ft sawing red oak.  Maybe I just change blades too often?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SawBilly

Ohio_Bill, I just posted some questions about Hickories in Sawmills and milling. keep me posted on the blades I have several bd ft of good Hickory to cut.

Bro. Noble

When WM came out with the 45  blades it sure made cutting hickory easier for me.  I've never tried the 55's but if I cut a lot of hickory I would sure try them.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Ohio_Bill,
    At most I would go down to the 8 degree blades but I have very good luck with 10 degree 0.055's in hickory and turn often with lots of water.  I get about 600 to 700 bdft. You might call WM and ask for a free 9 degree 0.055 blade to try.
ARKANSAWYER  
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Noble,  how much power do you have on your mill? The .055 blades cut like a house'a'fire but takes a lot of power to pull them.

First one we tried cut over 2,000 bf of red oak and was still cutting good when it broke.  I talked to WM and they said I had ran it too long.  Should stop and have it sharpened so to remove any stress cracks starting in the bottom of the tooth.  Said not to expect as many sharpenings.

Can't complain, even though it broke, it still only cost me .01/bf.

I changed sooner on the other .055 blades and got a couple of re-sharps out of them and still using them.  But mostly, we run the .045s.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Bibb,

We have a 24hp gas engine.  I proablywon't buy any .055 blades.  Don't saw a lot of difficult stuff at one time.  Also do our own sharpening and I don't think they reccomend sharpening your own .055's.  To get your money's worth you would need to saw fast with those blades seems to me which would push our engine.  We get along really well with the .045's.  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!