iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie Monster

Started by chainspinrunner, October 14, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainspinrunner

I have been saving some cookies here and there from firewood cutting. I have some really nice Sugar maple that are 24in.diameter and have about 35 tap marks all around(real puurdy when finished).  I cut them off of the log about 2 and 1/2 years ago and they just checked on me last summer. I thought they were good after 2 years, but i guess not... I did not use and special drying techniques, just let them sit in the barn. I have many others and was wondering if anyone has any good techniques for drying cookies without checking, other than a kiln.
Grose

Fla._Deadheader

Do a Google search of the forum. There are several threads about drying "Cookies".  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

James P.

Never dried a cookie or a bowl but have read in the past about using a plastic bag and just turning the bag inside out and back again . Not sure about frequency but it may be a safe guard. you would think after a couple years it would have been good. Did you move them inside or somewhere that humidity level was much lower. I think its a good heads up you posted your experience.

solidwoods

Almost all Cookies check just like limbs used for fire wood (non split limbs/pieces).
Puting Cookies in a kiln won't help either.  The geometry in a round is such that the stress from its shrinkage must be relieved somehow, hence a crack.
Things you can do are:
End seal it with Anchor seal.
Dry it as slow as it will allow.
If/when the area where the stress crack begins shows you can cut the Cookie in half continue to dry it, then straighten and glue it back together.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

jim king

Many times I will bury cookies under sawdust to slow thw drying but if they do crack I fill the cracks with resin and sawdust and insert butterflies.  Most of the time the cracked peices turn out looking nicer than the uncracked.

Thank You Sponsors!