iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bone Chillin'/Tooth Chatterin'....

Started by Magicman, February 01, 2021, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

....cold here.  It was 41° this morning and has finally crept up to 48° now with a stiff North wind blowing.  Thankfully I have a good fire going in the fireplace insert.  It's forecast to drop down to 34° tonight and 31° tomorrow night.  Folks, that is below freezing!!!  Yikes!!!! :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

uplander

Omgosh! Make sure to go to the store for milk, bread and eggs.
These are dire circumstances you are about to get!
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

tamarackman

T'was -22° this morning or -30 for the metric people (we Canadians being one of them). Stay warm and keep the fire going. 

SwampDonkey

Cleaned the furnace and flu this morning at 4:30 am, built up a morning fire and let it burn out. Was 35F with lots of sun, so no fire needed here during daylight unless you want 90+ degrees. :D Just built up a fire for the night. 12-18" of snow with a topping of rain over the next 2 days. Wanna share? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2021, 03:49:06 PM
....cold here.  It was 41° this morning and has finally crept up to 48° now with a stiff North wind blowing.  Thankfully I have a good fire going in the fireplace insert.  It's forecast to drop down to 34° tonight and 31° tomorrow night.  Folks, that is below freezing!!!  Yikes!!!! :o
hahahahahahaha! That's a good one MM! :D :D :D :D Oh how I long for a 40° day, but it is going to be a while, I'm sure. It was a pleasant 12° this morning but then the temp just took a run and it got all the way up to 27, but with a 30MPH wind and heavy blowing snow. Kind of like a lightweight blizzard.  I am getting little concerned that my 10 cord of wood seems to be going down faster than I would like. When it gets to zero or below I use a bit more wood.
 I hope you survive your hardship OK. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dave Shepard

OG, how much are snow you forecasted to get over there? We're supposed to get 6-10, which is just a dusting in the Catskills. Got up to the low 20s, so I ran the mill until the wind turned the snow into little projectiles.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Wind gusting at 30 MPH.  Temp in the 30's.  Wind chill -50000 degrees.  Thought about running the sawmill today, but could not work up the frozen nerve.  Stayed in the warm house all afternoon with a good fire in the wood stove.  You Northern types are gonna get hammered. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 01, 2021, 07:28:39 PM
OG, how much are snow you forecasted to get over there? We're supposed to get 6-10, which is just a dusting in the Catskills. Got up to the low 20s, so I ran the mill until the wind turned the snow into little projectiles.
Forecasts are all over the map. Hudson Valley weather pegs it at about 12-18" with heavier in some spot locations. The NWS is guessing 18-24 with 30" in some spots and it is looking like my holler might be in one of those sweet spots. As I tell my wife when she asks I say "I dunno, I'll tell you when I plow it." ;D I did a quick sweep a couple of hours ago to knock it down and now we have gained back another 5 inches or so over that. We are just about at a foot so far. I do see some heavy bands coming up on the radar but I don't know if this has the staying power they predicted. I will say when I was plowing it was still daylight and I was having a lot of trouble seeing with all the wind and heavy snow. My wiper doesn't clear the bottom edge of the windshield and I couldn't see the plow. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Dave Shepard

I was marking trees for a project in Tannersville a few years ago and there was only about 18" on the ground. The GC said there was something like five and a half on the ground at the same time the year before.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, T'ville is only about 25 miles NNW of me BUT they have about 1,200' in elevation over me and that makes a big difference in these little hills. Barge is an hours drive from me (around the mountain) or 35-40 miles line of sight, but he gets hammered while we only have 6-12 inches here. Elevation is everything. Many is the time I come home from work out of Kingston where it is a sloppy drizzle and about 100' before my road turns off there is a white line across the road where it turns from rain to snow and everything from there on is white. It is weird. 

Gearbox

The weather man said Sunday morning we are looking at a 57 below F wind chill . -24 F without wind chill .I might have to double stack the OWB .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Gearbox on February 01, 2021, 08:28:06 PM
The weather man said Sunday morning we are looking at a 57 below F wind chill . -24 F without wind chill .I might have to double stack the OWB .
I don't double  stack, I just cut  everything 42" from the beginning, but I'm burning pine. A day's wood, if I'm lucky at these temps:

ButchC

I burned a lot of pine slab in my OWB back in the fall, I'd sure not want to be feeding that stuff now with these temps and wind! I have to stay out at the stove all night!
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Dave Shepard

mudfarmer

That sucks Magicman, we're in a heatwave here!

20 degrees this morning when I got up! That's 30 degrees warmer this morning than the past 4 in a row but we are getting a little snow as a result :snowball:

petefrom bearswamp

Dave you must keep warm just going back and forth to the woodpile.
I did use Hemlock slabs in the summer for domestic hot water needs.
Mr Greenhorn, is that 10 face cords or 10 standard.
Im finally into my good firewood and using quite a bit less now.
The earlier wood was a lot of soft maple and cherry, n ow hard maple and beech.
im worried about next yr tho as most will b cherry.
Feel your pain Danny and Lynn
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

I burn softwood and aspen all winter, that there tractor load would last me about 2 weeks. 3 floors to heat including walk out basement. Don't forget, water freezes below 32, so ya gotta heat the basement. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

@Magicman that is what we have too except we are cheering, we think spring has arrived. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodroe

There is a joker in every crowd, no disrespect to MM.
I did get a chuckle out of it having just been through a couple 8 below nights.
I see some others got it a lot worse.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Hilltop366

Our forecast is about the same as MM's.

Its 45 now,  39 tonight and for the next few days.

Nathan4104

I'm looking forward to the weekend here, -35 lows (not much difference between c and f at that!) 
Be a good time to putter in the shop and wait for the desperate to call for wood. 

SwampDonkey

It's going to be mild for us, in the 30's the rest of the week. March weather. :)

thecfarm

Kinda like here. Gets down in the 30's late summer and we are all running around saying how cold it is. Than in January we are all running around saying how warm it is when it gets in the 30's.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!