iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

102 in the shade here. The view out of my front yard this afternoon.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

Last couple of days have been like August weather, dry and cool and in the high 70's F. Northerly breeze, fall's a coming. ;D Only 80F on the porch when the sun hits there in late afternoon.  No rain, just the water wagon. Need some hurricane rains up here, not getting any of them. Only mow lawn here once a month so it don't turn to straw. Brother bush hogged the rough areas and there is nothing green there now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Speaking of rain, we might get some Tuesday from that hurricane. We could use it. Not many showers here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I have been trying to plan my days the night before by looking at the forecast info from a few sources. The heat has been so high that I am looking for ways to get more done around the weather. 
 Todays weather seems to be opposite the forecast. The forecast was for chance of rain in the AM then likely light rain in the afternoon. I was awakened to rain early this morning and we have been getting light bands of rain working through for the last 6 hours, but now the radar indicates it is passing and will clear for the afternoon. I had hoped to get a log milled this morning before the rain came, now it looks like I might do it this afternoon. It's cool enough to wear pants again after several weeks straight in shorts.
 Temp is in the low 70's, light breeze and .10" of rain so far. I love the sound and taste of a cool summer rain, so I have been sort of dealing with it like a snowstorm, just sitting her and enjoying it with another cup of coffee waiting to get to work when it is done. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Overcast and some mist this morning then the sun burned through and jumped into the 80's.

Saw 6 moose this morning, 3 different pairs.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 03, 2020, 02:37:25 PM
Saw 6 moose this morning, 3 different pairs.
Well you couldn't have been visitying Bargemonkey, he only has Elk. :D :D
I have been watching the trop storm and keeping an eye on it while seeing small mentions here and there on the forum. Kind of ignored it, but watchful. Last night I took it all in and decided I needed to get ready. No panic thing, just doing what needs to be done. Putting stuff away that doesn't need to be out and pulling the canopy down that I had over the mill head (probably did that a few hours before I needed to, I should have waited until after I finished the last log. ;D :D
 Anyway, we are looking at up to 4" of rain tomorrow, but mostly I am keeping an eye on the wind. Might hit some 40 or more MPH winds and that is always a concern because I don't think these will com from the prevailing direction which means new stuff will come down, it always does during these things. 
 Last few days have been very nice here I actually started wearing pants Sunday. I like working in pants, it keeps the sawdust out of my shoes. :D Yeah, I still sweat and soaked through 2 hats and 2 bandannas and 2 hats and worked without a shirt all afternoon. Hit the mid 80's but the humidity wasn't as bad as it has been.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SwampDonkey

Got gas on standby and generator. Hope we get some water off it, don't need no wind. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Well the storm track has narrowed and been moved slightly west which puts the center of the track coming right through the Hudson Valley and passing within 10 miles or so east of us. That puts us on the heavy rain side with some high winds (30-50mph) but the other side (east) will get the worst of the wind. I guess we will just take what we get and I hope I didn't forget to prep something I should have. Judging from what I see on the tube, this will create a lot of work for the tree guys.
 As storms go, it could be worse, but this is doing a lot of damage. Swamp, it appears you dodged a bullet on this one as the track is going  straight north from here. Worst of it should hit here around 4-5pm.
 70 now and I was awakened by a heck of a downpour at 4:30 wherein we got 1/4" in about 15 minutes. Just a teaser. :D

Tom King

We took an almost direct hit, but absolutely no damage.  The power never even blinked.

Our place is the highest hill around, on a big peninsula with long fetches across water in three directions.  Wind from these storms gets accelerated up the hill, and can be bad if coming across that water.

The one direction that is best for us is from the North.  The center passed just East of us, so the wind was out of the North.  We don't even have limbs down in the yard.

We lost a few trees in the timber stand to the North of the house, but none to amount to anything, or so it looks so far.

btulloh

Well it's pretty much over here except for and hour or so of backside showers as it heads north towards OGH.  The main track was maybe 50 miles east of me, so that put us in a potential windy nor' easter position.  Never really developed that way.  30-50 mph predicted with higher gusts.  Not really.  I'd call this event "rain and bit breezy".  2-6" predicted rainfall.  We got about 2".  Ground here was so dry, it soaked it all up even though the rainfall rate would normally produce a fair amount of runoff.  

Nice rain, and really needed.

Forecast was a little overstated.  Seems to be a trend.
HM126

gspren

We are at the beach house in Fenwick, DE and the wind is howling now, the power flickered enough to trip a few clocks.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

We aren't going to get much at all here, some breeze and light drizzle (2-5 mm) and be over by daylight. Nothing happening yet except overcast.

Old Greenhorn

Well we had at least 2" of rain before we lost power. Now everything is down so I can't tell what the final results are. 6 hours without power and not hopeful to get it back any time soon. There's over 50,000 dark  in the service area right now. I did manage to fill up 17 jugs with rainwater for blade lube. Ran out of jugs. Should last me a while. Looking forward to the calm after the storm.

thecfarm

It's a raining here now, hard too. Power had flicked twice. I am opening tomorrow will set the phone alarm too.

thecfarm

Storm all over. The hurricane is done here. Never lost power. Still dark out, so can't see if the corn is standing. I did put some stakes up and tied the corn up. I hope it worked.

Old Greenhorn

Still no power here going on 17 hours now. Neighbors generator screamed all night. Not much sleep. Phone down to 10%. Brought in the campstove at 5am and made coffee, so I am good. Worried about food getting spoiled now and I things defrosting  100,000 her without power now. Not looking great. See ya on the other side of this.

Walnut Beast

Hopefully they will get things going today. Hang in there 👍

Jim_Rogers

Not much rain at the mill in Northern MA or at my house in Southern NH. But we lost power at 6pm and it didn't come back on until 10pm
Ran my phone down so I had to sit in my truck and charge up via my truck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Old Greenhorn

Well now they tell us that we may not have power until sometime this weekend. ;D
So I went and dug out the 4K generator and put that new carb on it that I have been holding until the last minute. Had to finagle because it's a tad different. Threw the genderator in the mule with it's battery and parked it between the house and garage. Plugged in the. Freezer (garage) and the fridge (house) and both cell phones. Don't wAnt to loose any food. Now my neighbor across the road is whining at the 'inconvienience' to him. He has a full house standby generator and has to call me to find out if the power went out because he can't tell  except that lost internet. I really feel bad for him.  :D

SwampDonkey

We never had much of anything here, ground is about as dry as day before. Maybe 1/4", but no more. Only had a light breeze in the storm. Wouldn't even know there was ever any hurricane up here.

thecfarm

Corn is laid over some, in places. I need to plant rows instead of one row. Even if each row is 3 feet long. There is always next year.  ;D    
The driveway has a bunch of red oaks limbs on it. Normal for wind like that. Have to watch the news for the rain fall amount. I doubt it was much, does not even look like water ran down on the edge of the driveway. Or even the road even. If we get a hard shower I can tell, because the run off goes into the field. The run off is full of gravel and rocks. 
That storm came in quick and got over quick.

gspren

OGH, tell the neighbor to go out and listen to the generator, if it's running the power is out :o shouldn't need to tell someone that. Our power at the DE house was off about 1 1/2 hours so no big deal, neighbors 8 doors down went all day without, different transformer. Came back to the farm in PA today and have a few limbs to clean up but nothing over 5". On the drive home we saw the results of a tornado that hit north of Dover, DE lots of trees twisted off.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 05, 2020, 06:34:04 AM
Still no power here going on 17 hours now. Neighbors generator screamed all night. Not much sleep. Phone down to 10%. Brought in the campstove at 5am and made coffee, so I am good. Worried about food getting spoiled now and I things defrosting  100,000 her without power now. Not looking great. See ya on the other side of this.
Sounds like they called it a State Emergency out your way. Glad you got your generator going. Is that the same neighbor that's whining about you running yours

Walnut Beast

Greenhorn after you get squared away at home. You better get your wheels turning how to get some of them monster trees that went down back home for your stock pile

Thank You Sponsors!