iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone purposely blue stain pine logs?

Started by oakiemac, January 07, 2020, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I have a fairly large white pine log about 10'x30" that I've left out in a field for about 2 years. I put in on the slabber yesterday and sawed a few slabs but it all looked like clear pine with no blue stain. Just wondering how long it usually takes or if white pine doesn't stain very well?

Don't do a lot with pine so I have little experience doing this. I do spalt sycamore and maple which usually take a few years.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I have not had any luck with getting blue stain into white pine, does not seem to matter how long I let them sit.  Yellow pine on the other hand, especially this past year - not a problem to get stain.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Only the sapwood will blue stain, and on a big log most of it is usually heartwood.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I have a lot of dead standing white pine on my land. Well did have a lot, been using it for wood in my OWB. I have cut many, with no bark on them,small limbs have broken off, standing for I have no idea how many years, some only a foot across some more than 2 feet across. I have never seen any blue stain in them. There has been some on the ground for years, and still no blue stain. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

I've been hit and miss, mostly miss, on blue stain, but from what I've learned, it's best you have a younger log with lots of wet sapwood, dripping sap, a hot and humid climate, and lay it in the hot and humid shade, not the sun because that starts to dry it out, and go buy a few chickens and have them poop on it.  That seems to be critical.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

"Natural" blue comes from beetles introducing bacteria which travels horizontally through the tree which effectively shuts off the nutrient flow and kills the tree.  The beetles then feed off of whatever is produced during this bacteria activity.  It should be visible on the bucked end of the logs.

"Unnatural" blue is mildew and is completely different.  I have effectively produced it by dead stacking sawn lumber. 

I know nothing about White Pine nor now to introduce blue into an unsawn log.  I would think that dead stacking would work, but that is a guess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

It is a struggle every year to have pine without blue stain. By late April any pine that is cut must be sprayed to prevent it. It is the sap wood that turns gray/blue and that is where the high grade is. Nobody really wants blue stain pine . Any clear is the first to be spoiled so any real profit is gone. There some years is a brown stain that doesn't look so bad although that is considered a defect also.

Stephen1

Blue stain in EWP comes in hot humid weather, 80+F and the log needs to be fresh sawn. It will go through the sap wood overnight. Fresh sawn Dead stacked lumber in the same heat will get the same results. Letting a log sit for months or years, as you do for maple will not get blue pine.
Since the pine bore attacks a fallen pine within hours, I wonder if they bring the bacteria or fungi for the blue stain?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 08, 2020, 08:37:37 AMSince the pine bore attacks a fallen pine within hours, I wonder if they bring the bacteria or fungi for the blue stain?
I see no way for beetles to introduce bacteria into a downed tree/log.  Yes they quickly go to work, but sap/moisture movement ceases when the tree is felled.

"Sawyers" are interested in laying eggs to produce young.  They munch, crunch, and bore pencil sized holes but do not produce blue.

After the tree is dead, it takes mildew to make blue. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Blue stain starts after the 'wood' reaches a certain temperature while at a certain moisture content. If the moisture content can be lowered before the 'wood' reaches, say, 50 degrees the stain will not happen. This is one of many reasons why the small time mill needs to saw as many logs in the fall and stick the lumber so that it will be too dry to stain when the temperature rises. Keeping logs cool gives more time to get them sawed but clean sawed boards can stain anyhow as they warm up if they are too wet inside. This one of the reasons to leave cut logs on the ground in the woods. The whole thing amounts to heat damage.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

oakiemac

Thanks for the replies. Someone said that no one wants blue stain pine but I beg to differ. Lots of people want blue stained pine slabs, not sure about dimensional lumber.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

tule peak timber

For wall paneling it is terrific...One of my kids in the pic. It is also number one for box beams and cabinet work.

I use a LOT of blued pine.We laugh at how much blued pine we blow through each year...... :D :D :D :D

Southside

I have an order in the kiln of it right now. It's like any other product, some love it, some hate it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Quote from: oakiemac on January 08, 2020, 06:43:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. Someone said that no one wants blue stain pine but I beg to differ. Lots of people want blue stained pine slabs, not sure about dimensional lumber.
In a pine mill it will go for pallet. Blue stained logs sell for 1/3 the price of fresh logs if they sell at all. If you saw much pine you will have blue stain weather you want it or not. I have never had anyone ask for it but they sure do refuse it.  Take a fresh log that has a white sap band and leave it in the sun and the ends will turn black. You can peel it and watch the stain grow. It may spiral crack with the bark off. After it all turns dark saw it.

WV Sawmiller

I don't saw an awful lot of pine and it has nearly all been white pine. Around here I can't imagine getting blue stained pine without a 3/8" diameter hole every few inches due to the borers.

Does WP even blue stain or is that unique to yellow pine?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

I make a lot of BS from Ponderosa and Doug-Fir and it stains well as long as moisture stays present in the log--- our White Fir (pine) up here will rot before it stains.

donbj

Another marketing name to steer away from the word stain, is denim pine. Seen it used up here.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

Our commercial sawmills will not accept blue nor dead/bark slipped logs which is why I saw so much beetle killed SYP.  Landowners are trying so salvage some value from their dead/dying trees/logs.  The great majority is sawn into framing lumber.

jeepcj779

The fungus that causes blue stain feeds on the sap in the sap wood as far as I know. Would it be possible to mix up some kind of sugar water or other concoction similar to the sap that the blue stain fungus prefers, then spray it on the wood to increase/encourage the growth of the desired fungus? I assume someone with a scientific background in forestry/wood chemistry might be able to come up with a mix that would advantage the blue stain fungus over less desirable fungi and pests. Maybe advantaged enough to get the blue stain set in before the larger insects get to it. 
  It might also be possible to get some "active" fungus from sawdust of infected logs and "seed" it on to uninfected logs by mixing it with water and wiping it on. Could be worth a shot.

Poquo

Table I built from blue stained pine I got from  @southside 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

moodnacreek

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 08, 2020, 07:38:00 PM
  I don't saw an awful lot of pine and it has nearly all been white pine. Around here I can't imagine getting blue stained pine without a 3/8" diameter hole every few inches due to the borers.

Does WP even blue stain or is that unique to yellow pine?
If it is in the true pine family it will stain unless it can be dried cool. The hard pines are worse and may mildew, turn black and grow white fuzz. They say it is the sugars that pine has.

YellowHammer

I've actually had more luck blue staining white pine that SYP.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

Quote from: Poquo on January 09, 2020, 07:17:43 AM

Table I built from blue stained pine I got from  @southside
That is a stunning table !!!!

Thank You Sponsors!