iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for Ash Common Lumber around the farm....

Started by Warren, February 11, 2007, 05:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

LT40HDD51

Yeah, interesting stuff. I liked the comparisons on that first one between wood, coal, oil and electricity.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Robert Long

I finally have a chance to post more pics of the ash logs we milled due to the infestation of the emerald ash borer :( :-\

Robert

junkyard

Lots of Ash used  go to Union Fork Hoe for handles. If they could get the lengh of a hammer handle between knots they would buy it.Been years since I could do the work in the woods.
Localy hand made snowshoe frames are all White Ash.
As was said before a lot of wagon parts were Ash back in the days of horses.
                          Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Robert Long

Here are some pictures of a horse barn with it's interior and horse stalls built with ash boards.

The owners have a large bush on the property and the ash trees are infested with emerald ash borer, they called and asked if I could mill the trees and use the boards to finish the interior and stalls with the milled ash.

The metal around the stalls was prefabed by a mennonite company who custom makes stalls, so I dressed the boards to their specs.Then finished with linseed oil.

This was all done with the help of the owner's son Paul, he's 20 years old and eager to work.

Included is a picture of the other side of the barn yet to be finished in ash boardsimg]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14606/IMG_0014.jpg [/img]
img]http:/img]http:/
Robert 8)

Robert Long

Robert Long

Robert Long

This picture shows the view looking out from the barn, you can see where I milled the ash logs

Robert

P>S>  how do I post multipul pics on this forum???????

Furby

Just keep adding them to the same post, before you hit the post button.
The preview button will allow you to see what the post will look like when you hit post.

Robert Long

Thanks Furby

I will try again perhaps when I am not so tired

Robert

ziggy

Bumping a very old thread here, but relevant...

I've been approached about building a pergola with ash trees that need to be felled on someone's property. The ash would be left in the round and be totally exposed (no roofing). I'm a bit dubious about the longevity of such a structure. (The bark would of course be peeled, but still... sheesh...)

Thoughts on longevity? Bad idea all around or what? (Location: central-eastern KY, tons of rain annually.) 

Don P

I don't think it would be a great idea. We had dinner the other night under a black locust pergola that is, oh must be around 15 years old, still holding up well.

Chuck White

Black Locust will outlast anything else, that I know of!

I've heard that the Amish consider Black Locust as the permanent fence post!

I think Ash will last a few years, but will not last forever!

Best use for ash is inside, like building calf pens or stantions, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

That is my concern Danny.  I have lots of milled ash, but haven't seen signs of PPB.  I have seen it around the oak.  I want to build a couple of mini barns - 4 and 5 stall respectively, One side is open and I'm afraid if I timberframe with Ash, that PPB will go after the frame.  I know some coatings can stop them, but it can't be anything harmful to horses.  You can't coat the timbers in something that will not allow them to dry/breathe.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!