iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I remove sawdust from flowers

Started by esarratt, July 03, 2020, 06:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

I was doing some woodwork on the front porch today and I got sawdust on my fiance's flowers.  She noticed it immediately when she pulled up.

The flowers are really dark purple, almost black.

I have tried blowing air gently on them with my shop vac and spraying water mist on them.  When the water dries there is still sawdust.

I am afraid to spray water on them any harder because I don't want to really be in the dog house.

Any ideas?

btulloh

Sounds like a tough one and you've tried most of the things already. Not sure what to recommend beyond what you've tried. Too late now, but you could have walked on them and blamed it on the dog. When WAS the wedding supposed to take place. ;)  That may be an open day on your calendar now.  ;D
HM126

doc henderson

take her out to dinner.  smiley_love   food3   smiley_gorgeous smiley_smug01  This all part of the early stages of her training.  lets see how she does!  good luck to you!  flowers really do not last forever anyway.  can keep stepping up the air velocity until either the sawdust or the petals are gone.  we have all been there.  hope the project on the porch was for her.  If not and she forgives you, she is a keeper!   :) :) :)
p.s. this may not be the best forum for relationship advice, as you are finding out at this time! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I do hope you was making something for her.   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

esarratt

Quote from: thecfarm on July 03, 2020, 06:47:14 PM
I do hope you was making something for her.   :)
I am.  Our house.  Thanks for the replies.

jeepcj779

If you have a selectable sprayer, try the "shower" setting, but direct the spray up in the air so that is falls on the flowers like rain would. Maybe you will get lucky and get some rain tonight.

Southside

Break out the cash stash you had for man toys and buy new flowers. It's going to happen in the end anyway so no sense in delaying the inevitable.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Unclefish

Jeff

This is a time for advice from our own @Raider Bill .

It would be better coming from him.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

The new TV Show, Ask Raider Bill, is a bit hit, but only with the men :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprucebunny

I'd go with more air flow. Water tends to make stuff stick. Plants can put up with more wind than you imagine.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

doc henderson

the flower is designed to capture and retain things like pollen, so the saw dust is prob. close enough.  maybe the F1 hybrid will be an oak tree with beautiful dark blue flowers.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

Do you own a Harley? If not get one.
If so back it up to the flowers and give them some VTwin love that should either blow the dust off of them or fry em.
Either way afterwards take the little lady for a nice long ride.

Don't forget I'm always available to give relationship advice to my FF brothers and sisters.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Kinda like my SIL. They, well my Brother and me helping, was redoing an old house while they was living in it. Sheetrock and all. She expected us to not make a mess.  ::) Sanding hardwood floors too.
Did I mention horse hair plaster that we had to remove.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Dark blue/black spray paint, first try it in a small area that won't be noticed.

Dont admit to anything from here on out.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Corley5

Rain will fix the issue.  Artificial rain just isn't the same.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

gspren

The big pieces should blow off and the fine dust remaining is obviously from that sand cloud from the Sahara! You can't be blamed for sand/dust that traveled all the way from Africa.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SawyerTed

Tell her that the flowers look so good you want her to make another bed somewhere else.  Keep her attention on some other project but while she's on it run the sprinkler on the sawdust flowers. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

mike_belben

Say "im sorry" and move on.  Any further fits from her about it, just ignore.  No sense training her to think youre gonna be shamed forever over a small and honest mistake. 

Wait until you have kids and theyre wrecking drywall and spraypainting the dog. 
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

Go buy a few rabbits for her a pets, and let them loose in the flowers.  Then cut the flowers off at the ground as if the rabbits did it, and blame it all on the cute rabbits.  Let them take the fall for it.  She will be so mad at the rabbits, she may forget about the sawdust.  Then get some new flowers, eat the rabbits for dinner (unless she wants to keep them as pets), and clean up the flower beds.  She'll thank you for it.  Maybe.....

Either that or just vaporize them all with a weed eater and say "What flowers?  I thought they were weeds."  That will definately make her forget about the sawdust.

Or since it's 4rth of July "accidentally" toss a few mortar rounds in the flower beds and watch them sparkle as they explode.  "Oops, sorry honey, it won't happen again...."

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.  What could possibly go wrong?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

I have come to the conclusion that the last line of reply #2 by @doc henderson is probably the wisest advice in this whole thread.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

@Jeff I see your pavilion in the background, but i did not know you played "goff".   :D :D :D ;)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

farmfromkansas

Bet a leaf blower would be the answer for the original problem.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!