iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I want one that size, how about a vertical shaft 4 stroke?

Started by mmartone, November 27, 2013, 11:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I already ordered my mill from panthermills in brooksville fl... Now I need to buy a big saw, still looking, watching.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

SawTroll

Information collector.

motard

166 would be more like it.

Of course you can't get parts for them.

Many old giants will pull a mill set-up, always make sure you have a back-up eh?

mmartone

I'm thinking 3120, for parts if needed.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

motard

You could do a lot worse fo' sure!

I started with a 153 Sachs Dolmar, I now have 6 152/153s.

They are all runners with 4 2100s for back-up?

Bet if I did not have all these spares I wouldn't use 'em fer milling.

Milling has got to be the most torture a man can put a saw through!

motard

Quote from: mmartone on November 27, 2013, 11:57:10 PM
I already ordered my mill from panthermills in brooksville fl... Now I need to buy a big saw, still looking, watching.

That is one impressive log!

But that is NOT true milling, more giant cookie cutting.

Cutting against the grain takes far less power, ripping with the grain is a bunch tougher.

Ripping a hardwood log 1/3 that size would take ANY of the best 7 cube saws everto their knees.

Good Luck with your quest!

mo

JohnG28

Quote from: SawTroll on November 28, 2013, 01:12:50 AM
3120 or 880....?

Looks like an 880 or 660. Sticker on top looks like a Stihl, and the decomp on top.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Quote from: motard on November 28, 2013, 09:20:37 AM

Milling has got to be the most torture a man can put a saw through!
Or vica versa .I've tried it with both a 125 Mac plus that old rascal Homelite  in my avatar which has plenty of guts .They all suck .It's one way to make lumber just not an easy way .

Al_Smith

Oops I don't have an avatar on this site :-[ .I forget where I'm at at times .Homie is a 2100S in reference .

motard

Yes Sir,

I gotta agree.

But making something you can NOT buy is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PRICELESS!

shootingarts

I found a raker about six or eight inches long and weighing a few pounds. I'm still looking for the chain and saw it came off of. If I find them I'll let you know!  ;)

Hu

motard

Bet no one has another workbench like this!

motard

Al_Smith

Don't bet on it .I have a nice bench with a bunch of junk on it and a 2100 Huskie with a K and N filter with a v stack induction . ;D

Yeah sure I've got a bunch of old yeller saws and a few big red ones but they aren't the only horses in the stable .

motard

Ahh Yes,

but a milled log is like a snowflake.

Never two exactly alike.

I spend time over at AS, it amazes me some of them fellas with big collections of saws don't mill.

I'm just tryin' to get the O.P. psyched!

mmartone

That a 2100?
This oak workbench top is drying, then well will put it together and finish it.. yours looks nice!

Al_Smith

Get ya a big ole saw sometime and mill some 18-25" oak a little bit .You'll earn every bit of that lumber .

I suppose some like it but I prefer a bandsaw myself .For now I'll drop and slice and pay somebody else to mill them .

My bud Swampish up in the frozen north tundra of the maritime provinces of Canada buys firewood .I'll just pay a sawyer until I come up with my own .

mmartone

I have a few logs well over what my woodmizer can slab... The chainsaw mill wont be used alot, I dont think.

Al_Smith

I've got a red oak 4 footer 16 feet long I'll have to rip myself .I'd much rather quarter it than rip the whole mess though .Lawdy that would take me a month of Sundays ,big McCulloch ,Homelite or the 084 abiding in my shed with the rest of them .

motard

Ever seen that video of the skinny African dude making boards with an old 070 or 090?

He is freehanding it and it is a method more like noodling than ripping.

The ole boy was good and his boards were uniform as you could get.

Bet the saw and 50 inch bar weighed near as much as he did!

turnkey

Quote from: motard on November 28, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
Ever seen that video of the skinny African dude making boards with an old 070 or 090?

He is freehanding it and it is a method more like noodling than ripping.

The ole boy was good and his boards were uniform as you could get.

Bet the saw and 50 inch bar weighed near as much as he did!

I had forgotten that one!  It was pure amazing.

Harry K

mmartone

Anybody build one with a vertical shaft four stroke? I'm wondering if theres more power to be had and how about a clutch?

mad murdock

Hilltop366 built one using a 10 or 12 hp vertical shaft engine from a lawn tractor. He may have some pics of it in his gallery. I think there is a thread about it on here. Check the forum search tool.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

motard

motard

My memory stinks,

Philippines, not Africa, and dat's not a 50" bar either.

But the old boy does have a steady hand eh?

Thank You Sponsors!