iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for some sawdust

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 18, 2018, 12:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

>:(Winter is over for at least the foreseeable future here.
temp supposed to get to upper 60s this week.
I going to put the battery back in the mill and prepare to saw the last few Hemlock logs I have and start on the White pine if the weather holds.
Big mistake, this winter i bought a snowmobile, should have upgraded mt ATV

this
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

They look like some nice ones, Pete!

We don't have much snow here either, most of the Lake-Affect gets diverted South of Watertown and heads towards Albany!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

Nice picture Pete.I'm hustling to get the last of my firewood skidded out tomorrow as skid roads will quickly fall apart this week.

I too am planning to fire up my mill this week,it is in a covered shed with a covered log deck as well.Hemlock and pine to saw here.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

The snow will be back. Looks like about the same,snow coming,here too. I have only been out in the woods a little,but there was at least a foot of snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Those appear to be some good logs to start the year with.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

actually they were last years logs
Here are the few 8' Hemlock I have left and my White pine
Hemlock

White pine 21'

[
8s and 10s

16s

12s

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

firefighter ontheside

What do you use the hemlock for?  Around here we certainly have none.  Recently Lowe's started selling hemlock boards, but I haven't used any.  The only hemlock I've used is stair parts like newels and others.  I like the color of the wood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Pete, did you know that if you leave your logs out in the weather like that you will very possibly get snow on them??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

Pete its ok I fixed my sled just in time for this weather. There will be more.

Are you thinking those logs will be thawed? with how cold it was I have some doubts they will be thawed all the way through.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Hemlock makes good framing material!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Both replies by kbeitz and chuck white are correct.
There are both Eastern and Western Hemlock, dont get the western stuff here so dont know anything about it other than what I have read in my textbooks.
It is a good strong lumber that weathers well as barn siding giving that grey color to unstained/painted barns and sheds.
It is prone to splitting while nailing when it is dry if you get too close to the ends.
Holds nails well and takes stain/paint well also.
Overall a good utilitarian lumber.
I'm sure that Lowes charges a lot more than I do, my price is .70 per bd ft for 10" and wider, .65 for side lumber.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Southside

We don't have any hemlock down this way but I grew up with it, always remember it would flake, almost peel sometimes at the grain in some cases.  The grain reminds me of SYP, only more pronounced when it does that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

I have a pile of Pondarosa pine logs ranging from 10" - 30" diameter waiting for me under the snow. I'm sure they are frozen with the highs in the 20's and lows in the single digits here the last few days. Winter has returned to the high desert. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

firefighter ontheside

Around here things like Hemlock are here and there as ornamental trees.  When they get too big for the location tree services bring them down.  I'm hoping to score things like that from the tree service.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

petefrom bearswamp

70 degrees here this AM
Sawed the 5 Hemlock this morning, if they were frozen it didn't affect the sawing.
A little snow left at the mill, and mud where the snow is gone.
I have my sawdust fix for the time being.
Crusarius, my sled sits in the corner of my shop scowling at me.
Hope we get at least one more chance to ride.
Going to my Adirondack camp Friday morning, going to take the ATVs instead of the sleds.
6-1/2 miles in on unplowed rd.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

road probably be clear anyhow.

I am eying my sled and contemplating turning it into a side by side. 600 SDI for a power plant would make a very fun SxS

Andries

In between sawdust making sessions . . . 

The boys meet up at the local doughnut and coffee shop on our "Snow Harleys".

We've got at minimum another month for sledding up here.  8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

You lucky devil Andries!
I talked to a friend in Tupper Lake and the snow is gone in his yard, another friend came out of the road monday and it was OK, probably ice now
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Southside

Ohhh - Tim Hortons donuts.... I miss those. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

LThe only Horton I know anything about heard a Who.   :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!