iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat for handling logs

Started by davemartin88, January 19, 2006, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemartin88

Took delivery on a used Bobcat 763H skid steer yesterday, didn't get much of a chance to use it as the ground here is soaked but we did try it out a bit this afternoon. Lifted some 16' red oak (about 18" diameter so calculated about 1500 lbs) on to the the LT15 mill. Has a Lofton root grapple which is pretty heavy so we were over the 1500 operating capacity but as long as the log was all the way in to the grapple, worked great. We're millling some beams for an equipment barn that need to be nearly 16' but for the most part, think I'll be working with 10-12' logs so should be in good shape and save the back a bit. We've got about 10 more of these large (to me) logs to do so looking forward to the challenge.

I had originally thought I'd be able to use my small Kubota tractor but it's lifting capacity is only 500 lbs and less with pallet forks. That isn't much of a log- found this loader locally with low hours (1220) so hoping it will work out. Have a chipper/shredder on this tractor so will use that to chip up the scrap and try to stay on top of the mud.

Getting quite an education from all the information in this forum, thanks to all for sharing!

Here's a pic of the loader, it was dark but you get the idea!

jpgreen

Welcome to the forum Dave.

If that nice piece of equipment wimps out on some logs, ship it west, and I'll help you recover from some of your grief and heartache..  smiley_biggrin01  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

isassi

Don't listen to jpgreen...I don't think his intentions are honerable  ;) I, on the other hand, would be more then willing to trade you my 743, a very experienced machine, for your less then desirable, inexperienced, 763  8)       

Good luck with it, it looks great, and I do wish i could upgrade!

jpgreen

Dave- don't trust anyone with the werd Hennessey under their name.

-might be prone to drinkin' if you know what I mean...  :D

davemartin88

Quote from: joasis on January 19, 2006, 07:56:44 PM
Don't listen to jpgreen...I don't think his intentions are honerable  ;) I, on the other hand, would be more then willing to trade you my 743, a very experienced machine, for your less then desirable, inexperienced, 763  8)       

Thanks to both of you for the feedback and the offers. The guy who is actually building my barn had a 743 loader that he liked a lot before he bought his JCB 212S TLB. His good experience with the series helped me to decide to go ahead with this one wth a little more capacity.

From reading here in the forum, there seemed to be mixed feelings related to skid steers for this type of work but I only plan to use if for loading and moving logs, wont' be taking it in to the forest or anything where it might not be suitable.

Thanks again.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Be very carefull with jpgreen, he has been known to steal things right out from under your nose ;D :D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

isassi

Hennessy is the brandy, and i think you spell worse then I do.... :D :D :D What say we flip a coin to see who can BS him out of that fine machine??? ;D Now back to real time. What you will find with a bobcat is they are limited..your will handle 400 more pounds then mine, but when you get to tipping weight, it will get your attention. I use mine to load logs on my mill only when my backhoe is out on a job. Today the bobcat went to where we are starting 2 new houses and it will do site work and then concrete buggy duties for the next week before coming home. :)

jpgreen

I love Hennessy...  smiley_biggrin01

Dan_Shade

drinkin'!  i'm never sober when i'm drinkin!

nice catch, i prefer the method that makes you mess your drawers for moving logs :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Minnesota_boy

I've used a couple machines like that to move logs.  The customers made me do it.  They had logs where I couldn't get the mill and said, "There's the Bobcat, move them when you're ready for them."  Then they left!  :D

Consider putting tracks on that machine.  You'll find that you can go more places without getting hung up, and they don't tear up the mill yard as much.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

IL Bull

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on January 20, 2006, 08:38:36 AM

Consider putting tracks on that machine.  You'll find that you can go more places without getting hung up, and they don't tear up the mill yard as much.  8)
Tracks also increase your tipping load.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Kevin_H.

I have been running a very used 743 for several years and it has done an ok job. We did hang about 400 lbs on the back of it and this will help with the tipping problem. We have been looking at going a little bigger and something with a few less hours on it, but we keep on finding other stuff to buy.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

isassi

Since my bobcat works all the time, I too have been thinking about an upgrade, but I will stick with probably the 763...I would love an 863, but frankly, it is too big. It would be a much better machine around the mill, ect. but since our work comes first, I have to consider things like weight, where it can and can't go...ability to carry wet concrete around soft sand...and on and on...of course, what would be great is having 2 bobcats... ;D

ksu_chainsaw

We have been using skidloaders for a long time on construction jobs and around the farm.  I started out using an 1845 Case, upgraded to a 1845C Case, then to a 75XT Case, now to a 70XT Case.  The best one out of the bunch was the 75XT as it had a park brake button on the lever which allowed you to position the forks to position metal to be welded or bolted together.  The worst one out of the bunch was the 1845, as it took forever to change buckets, as every attachment was beat up, and the pins were almost impossible to install without 2 guys and a massive sledge.  On a recent job, we rented a Bobcat S250.  That is the best machine that I have ever run.  The wheels are spaced out further to give you a smoother ride, and a greater lift capacity- we were lifting bundles of used ties, and never came close to tipping it.  Just wish I could afford one of those machines- it had A/C, heat, radio- every creature comfort you could want  ;D

Charles

badpenny

Mine is a 610 Bobcat,1000# lift, so when I move a biggish log, it tends to stay real low to the ground. It has forks, a dirt bucket, a snow bucket modified from a wheel tractor loader, and a set of grapple forks. Handiest thing since pockets on shirts as far as I am concerned
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

isassi

Here is another thought for thos e reading this thread who may be thinking about skid steers: I think Bobcats are the best, but that is personal choice at work. It is like lots of equipment that was designed with any propritory operating system. I can run a bobcat (foot controls/stick steering)with the best of them, but a case with hand controls to me is like a another planet...same with backhoes. I run Case backhoes..period...John Deere style (2 stick) machines take some getting used to. My Ditch Witch has a backhoe attachment that uses 2 stick, but Cat style, backwards from the JD style...I guess what I am getting at if you have prior experience, stick with what you know...it is safer....if you have no experience, you will learn easily on whatever machine you choose, then have fun trying not to look stupid on  a different make machine...safety is also an issue 'cause no 2 machines have the same capabilities or handle the same.  :P

davemartin88

Thanks for the feedback so far- may look in to a set of tracks but would be interested to know just how much less damage they would cause- can see how they would help with traction. From my initial look at the steel ones that the Bobcat dealer was selling, they were very proud of them- any good sources I should check out?

I guess the tipping load is increased because some of the load is spread towards the back tires by the tracks? Are rubber treads better than steel for minimizing damage to the yard? Do they change the handling considerably- not that it matters to me since I'm such a rookie.

This evening I went and used the grapple to lift about a 25ft, 15" d. oak that had blown down- cut off the stump/roots while it was held in the grapple, then cut it to two pieces. Used my small Kubota to drag it out of the woods, then picked it up with the skid steer and have it ready to mill- was a lot of fun!

Thanks again, dave.

woodbowl

What is the smallest skid steer out there? I am looking at the ability to travel light to the job site. Also, has anyone ever heard of a rough terrain hand fork that is self propelled? I've seen hand fork lifts in a warehouse on a concrete floor but those would get stuck around a mill site.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Brad_S.

Woodbowl,
In the Bobcat line what you'd find on the used market is the 400 series. They are meant for light duty like clearing stalls and barn alleys. The cab is so small and tight that you can't hit the Pizza Hut buffet too often to be able to use it. They weigh a little over a ton and are rated at 600 lbs. IMO,my experience with having owned a 743 prior to my current 863, the 743 was just barely up to most of the jobs I asked of it. I can't imagine a smaller machine would be of any value to you on job sites.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

wiam

I have used a Dingo made by Toro.  It is a walk behind skidsteer on rubber tracks. Probably not much more than 3' wide.  Not sure but I think it weighed around a ton.  It had a smaller version of the skidsteer quick-tach tool mount.  It worked pretty well for augering post holes, but wood be useless around a mill yard.  It is more of a landscaping tool.

Will

oakiemac

I use a Bobcat 873 for miliing, moving lumber stacks, and skidding logs. I can't imagine a smaller machine would do the job. Yesterday I loaded a huge red oak that was 10' long and 34" at the small end. The old bobcat struggled but she lifted it up on the mill. I doubt a 700 series machince could of done that. Of course it all depends on your situation. I get some big hunking logs so I need the lifting power.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ely

i have a 773 and lots of times need a zillion73. i can't imagine how i made it without one so long. i was used to the case line of skid steers and the bobcat was not too difficult for me. i use mine a great deal and sometimes overuse it. have yet to have need of the seat belt and really hope to avoid that need.

Tom_Averwater

Nice looking 763 . We have a 763 with Logering tracks on it. They are like a baby bulldozer with tracks on them. We also have a 442 Bobcat. With a couple of 2 x 12s I can load it in my pickup . We added 150 lb. weight on the rear door on the 763. That helps alot with tipping.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

davemartin88

Thanks for the feedback on the 763- got some real time in on Saturday moving some logs that have been down for a while in our yard. Cut some 25" oak logs to 16' long and then wrestled them out. They were at the bottom of a hill so that added a bit to a tendency to want to tip forward but once I got them to level ground, moved them without a problem. Since I was in a tight area, used the grapple to skid them out to my driveway where they could be picked up and moved near the mill. Nothing unusual here for professionals but a lot of fun. The grapple is pretty heavy, don't know the exact weight but guess if I get in a pinch to lift a heavier log, could go to the pallet forks to get a little extra capacity.

Getting a lot of rain here and the ground is really soft so going to take a few days off, it's raining again so may be a while before we get back to moving logs but have a nice pile near the mill to work.

Tom- would be interested to hear more about the tracks you have on your 763 and the weight on the door- might be worth a look? Are they rubber or metal? What did they cost? How much of a dfference do they make on damage to the ground?

Thanks again, dave.

IL Bull

One of the problems with adding counter weight the the rear of a Skid Steer is that without a load on the front they like to ride on the rear wheels.  This is a little nerve racking for me plus you could only load on a trailer in reverse.
It would be nice to be able to transfer the weight to the rear when a increased tipping load is needed and be able to transfer to the front when there is no load on the front. 
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!