iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut cut today w/ pics

Started by Sparty, March 21, 2008, 05:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic...it's regarding walnut sapwood.  I just happened to be slicing up some nice walnut crotches this weekend  :)  Why does the sapwood sometimes turn an aqua-blue color in some spots almost immediately after cutting  ???

When I went to stack the crotches on Saturday, I was looking at some of the crotches that I cut last month, and noticed quite a bit of checking on them  :-\  They were logs that had been sitting for a while...don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.  I decided to experiment with some  anchorseal on the crotch areas this time.

Ironwood

Yes, that blueing/ greening does seem to occur with frequency where water can lay and penetrate (esp. crotches). Generally the sapwood can change color damatically from piece to piece right after sawing and even as it ages.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

The stainning is caused by chemical reaction between the wood and iron . The tannin acid in the board will darken with contact with any steel other then Stainless steel .It is common in oak , helmlock and butternut , wallnut ... probably a lot more.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ohsoloco

I've seen woods turn that blue-black color when exposed to iron, even walnut heartwood.  This doesn't seem like it would be the case with the color change I'm talking about, but perhaps it is?  The color is like a teal (sp?)....like a carribean ocean almost.  It seems to follow the grain somewhat as well, especially right along the sapwood/heartwood border.

Ironwood

Ohsoloco,

Yes, that is the color, and I must agree I think its the exposure to the air as opposed to the metal blades. Walnut is VERY air reactive and and changes dramatically immeadiately after coming off the saw, so much so, that i began to think about putting a disclaimer with all my right off the saw walnut pictures that this is a representation of the material "as it came off the saw" and it can change alot when drying no matter how much special attention you give it. Some architects and designers have problem even with subtle color variation from the pictures, which are taken in the "wettted down " mode, and I don't want to do that after it is dry.

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

Yeah, it's neat to open up a walnut log that's been sitting around for a year or more, and the ends of the boards for about a foot or so in are a different color than the rest of the board.  When it's fresh cut it has olive hues to it, and then very quickly changes to a more purplish-brown color.

Husband

All I can say is  WOW  :o :o
Some VERY nice looking pieces of wood there!

Sparty

We were scared for a moment when we found some slight black marks on the end of one of the prime logs.  We all thought that there was metal in the log.  Then I remembered that the tree didn't have those marks a couple weeks ago.  I then realized that I had left a chain on the end of the log for a week.  A week of metal to bare walnut, in some wet weather, only left a very small black mark.  My point is that I would be surprised if walnut would react to  brief contact to a metal blade.  Oak, maybe, but I've never known walnut to do that.  If the blue stain follows grain lines, I would suspect bacterial stain.  I don't have much experiance with stain in walnut, but bacteria would be my guess.

Lud

Sure is pretty Walnut.  I mostly cut hardwood but no walnut on the mill ....yet!  Handsome stack! 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!