iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

installing picture

Started by cluckerplucker, March 24, 2008, 09:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluckerplucker

I tried to ask for help on blade type for lighterwood and post a picture but everything disappeared when I tried to post a picture .Mine are in jpeg. and I dont know how to make them smaller . cluckerplucker
cecil

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

CP,

I can't offer any suggstions on a blade, but I would be interested in your experience cutting lighter.  I have a guy with a bunch whack of lightered logs that I might could get, but I have wondered 1) what they would be like to cut and 2) what you would actually do with the lumber, er resin once it was cut.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

cluckerplucker

cluckerplucker     The  slabbing of the lighter went fine till halfway thru then broke the blade on a rock hard section. I used diesel as a lube to soften the buildup of pitch. the customer wants to build coffee tables and lacquer the surface. He wants small stump cut to make wall placques.I just need to find the right blade.
cecil

Fla._Deadheader

We used Munks Blades. Lightered takes a slow feed. Don't have a LOT of 'sperense
with Lightered, but Tom does.  Can you get a Wood Mizer 4° doublehard ???  They are supposed to be good for HARD logs ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

The problemwith "lightered" is the pitch, not the hardness so much.  The heat from the blade melts the resin and it sticks on the blade and fills the kerf.

The solution is not 100%.  It is to keep the blade cool.  The #1 thing is a super sharp blade and change it often.  A dulling blade heats up more than a sharp blade.

A wider set works sometimes to make the kerf wider and keep the sides of the blade from contacting the sap.

Flooding with Water or Water and soap will work.  I know it does because that is my first effort.

Putting a petroleum product on the blade will work if the band doesn't slip and the product doesn't stink up the boards.  It just makes it harder for the resin and sawdust to stick on the band body.

Finding the right cutting speed is important.  The faster you cut, the hotter the blade gets.  Cut too slow and you're wasting tooth tips.

Making sure that the wood is as clean as you can get it is important too.

Then, if you aren't being real accurate, make sure that you leave enough on the board that the "miller" can straighten it back out.   Just don't leave so much that it becomes a problem to him and his planer.   He will have some of the same problems that you do.

"Lightered" wood is brittle.  Don't allow off-bearers to throw it around.  Otherwise acceptable boards will split and break.

Nate Surveyor

Boy! Tom has just about covered all the bases!

One thing that is frustrating, is to HIT A ROCK!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Thank You Sponsors!