iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow Poplar Fence?

Started by ebath, March 25, 2008, 06:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebath

I millled 900 bd. ft. of yellow poplar last weekend to side my new solar kiln. The boards are 4/4 x 5 1/2" by 8' 6". I have a friend who is interested in using my leftovers to build a small privacy fence.

I don't know if this is advisable or what to price to charge.

Any information on sealants, pricing, longevity, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed

DWM II

I think it may do ok as long as you do finish it, exterior paint would likely do best but I'm sure some of the other clear exterior finishes would do ok as well. Definitely avoid ground contact. One With Wood may know better as he has a very nice building sided with yellow poplar I believe. I would price it similar to pine, in the .80 to 1.00 a bd/ft range.
Good luck, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Ron Wenrich

I wouldn't recommend it for a privacy fence.  They get too close to the ground.  Tulip poplar is not very rot resistant.  You can seal it, but how will you do it in the future?  You would have to have access to both sides of the fence. 

Poplar as a siding is a little different.  You can keep the water off of the siding much better and keep things like leaves or grass clippings away from the house, where they may build up on a fence.

Much better species to use than tulip poplar.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BBK

I agree with Ron, Poplar does not last long even painted as a fence.

It works well as interior trim and even structural framing if you can keep it from the weather.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Skip

IT will last a good long time if you keep it off the ground  ;)  I have sawn 1000s bdf for fencing many over 5-6 years old and still looks good unpainted. (yellow poplar)

SeeSaw

I have also sawn and built fences from Tulip Poplar. It actually works better for this application than many might believe. The only reason that I used it is because it's what I had the most of and its easy to get. I have had very good luck by staining the fences with a good quality Oil Stain.  Not latex!!!!  A fresh coat of stain every two years and they have lasted much better than I ever expected.  The key is keeping it somewht protected from the elements.  If you do not stain it all,  I have no idea how long it will last as I have not been brave enough to try that. Good Luck
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

rewimmer

We saw poplar for all our horse paddocks because we have so much of it. I have draft horses and we use telephone poles for post and we do saw the boards a little extra heavy for the abuse of a 2000LB horse scratching their butts on them. We put them up green and after they dry a little we use black stain from the orange box store. Some of them are 8 years old and look great. They do bow a little but not enough to look bad.
Robert in Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!