iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Done - selling everything

Started by Southside, November 30, 2019, 02:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Tis a vicious circle when your business progresses beyond one's self and is dependent upon hired labor.  My "tongue in cheek" Reply #12 above applies only to me because I am "retired" and my sawing income is supplemental and not required for household expenses, etc.  

Now, that does not mean that I am not trying to grow the business and increase it's footprint for the future.  I have a Son and Grandson who are developing a multi-faceted business and the sawmilling business meshes very nicely into those plans.  It would still be "sawing only" and not include any lumber related sales.  Each business facet would provide a service, not a product, and not be dependent upon "hired" labor.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Operating as a business with employees requires a different level of insurances.  Loss prevention expectations from insurance companies includes drug testing.  I worked in facilities management for a small manufacturer, our liability and worker's compensation insurance required drug testing.

Managing employees when the employees are just working to get a paycheck is a real drag.  It's really difficult to change that attitude.  When an employee sees their contribution to the enterprise as important, they can be a pleasure to work with. Again, it's hard to create that attitude if it's not there to begin with. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Don P on December 01, 2019, 09:19:55 AM
One of the shops I worked in hired interns from NCSU, that is when I learned a lot of wood science. I ended up buying and being given their textbooks so I could keep up. That was a win/win. Another thought was hire a vet.
I really like the college interns idea. I like to hire selected high school students and in my remote rural area we have a few kids like that who grew up working and will do a good job for you and exercise good judgement and common sense. Of course I almost never hire help - I typically refer them to the customer if he needs help so I don't have to worry with that set of paperwork and regs and such.

I had to get help loading hay bales in the field last summer and got 3 kids - an 8th and 10th grader and their 20 y/o sister. Reagan drove my truck in the field and the boys and I loaded the truck and stacked. She could drive as well as a big man and it gave me a good, hard working crew to get me out of a jam.

That's another thought though - we should hire more women. Many are physically able and would rather do that kind of work than waiting tables. I had women working for me in the USMC that I'd put up against any hairy-legged hard tail.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

I've got a couple aunts, the pair maybe would hit 250 together. They can work, and EAT, any man under the table. We got kicked out of an all you can eat shrimp dinner, I was just trying to keep up with them!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Quote from: Nebraska on December 01, 2019, 08:33:02 AMSeveral of those colleges around you have forestry/agricultural departments, you could figure out an or several intern positions through one of those departments,

That's an interesting approach, never would have thought of it.  Thanks to my calf I even have multiple contacts at VT these days too... Try and sell the idea they could continue with their ongoing "Pumpkin Patch" study here in an on-farm environment.  Of course I first have to convince the calf to come back here....

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I called up temp agency for our new potential employees.  I write the job description, then they do all the initial screening, drug tests, interviews, insurance, everything.  The employees work for the agency, I write the checks to the agency, and they pay the employee so have full power over them.  If I say the employee doesn't work out, then they fire and hire others. That's how several of the pallet mills and other heavy lumber and labor operations around here work now.

The good thing is it solves the drug test and insurance problems, as well as unemployment and stuff.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

JoshNZ

Sad to hear there is no help around. What about an up and comer out of highschool? We take about 50 staff each year for our kiwifruit harvest season, usually all European/NA travellers. For the most part they're great but I understand the skill/training to be useful around a sawmill is prob quite different. How long does it take before someone (let's say average Joe with no experience, but reasonably practical) is safe and useful?

Sixacresand

Nothing last forever.  I know there will come a day when me or the sawmill will go out the driveway for the last time.  If it is me, hopefully there will be fresh sawdust stuck to my pants.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Southside

I have no issue with taking on someone with zero experience, it's probably better that way. The issue we face here is desire to work is basically non existent, coupled with a lack of pride in work and the end result is an unemployable individual. 

I have one employee now, he has his moments, but for the most part he does a great job. Our location is also a double edged sword. Far enough in the country to be able to saw and farm without issues, but no population nearby to draw from. In all reality we are not that long of a drive, but finding quality people who will make it is an issue. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Nebraska on December 01, 2019, 08:33:02 AMits pretty special when one of them gets into veterinary school and asks you to white coat them.
Nobody mentioned Vet school, but the threat of being "white coated" has come up in the past.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

The quitting part would be easy. The everything for sale part would never work here. In the past I have tried to sell sawmill machinery and it is hopeless. People today don't buy things they can't sit on and drive.

Jim H

Sometimes it's good to get up out of the weeds of day to day operations and look at the long term. Back in the fall a friend who is a homebuilder approached me about working for him as a project manager. So in January this twenty-two year odyssey of being a full-time sawyer will turn into a weekend side gig and I'll be back in the world of construction. Over the last few years I've made decisions about farming , finances, and sawmilling that kind of surprised me when I made them. But I think figuring these kinds of things out intentionally, before you're forced to by circumstances beyond your control will make for less headaches in the future.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside on December 01, 2019, 02:15:11 PM
Have you had any yet?
No, not for the sawmill operation, but yes, in my other job we did it for years, decades.  It became our preferred method of hiring unskilled labor.  
I had a half a dozen myself of such contractor part time, full time, or temp employees.  Basically, the job agancy assigns an off site company supervisor who has knowledge and experience in that area, be it cleaning services, maintenance, painting, garbage disposal, property book, heavy equipment operator, pallet making, construction, concrete, repair, etc. They are also responsible for certification training, such a getting a forklift or other operators liscense, because they foot the insurance bill if the employee hurts themselves.  Starting salary is about $15 an hour, and they develop a pool of employees that they can call on a day or two notice if one of their other employees bails or needs bail.
These job agencies only get paid when their employees get paid, so they make it a point to keep employees working or getting decent help for you.  Their goal is to find a good long term employee that can stay with your operation, because then they get long term income.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

I will look into that. I have no issue with starting pay of $15 if a guy is willing to learn. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

White coated is when the incoming first-year students get presented  their white  laboratory "coat" with their name tag identifying them as a veterinary student. They can ask a mentor to present it to them. So it's an honor to be thought of that way. 
Most likely since you milk cows, raise chickens, and make fancy custom pine  flooring, your white coat might have no openings in the arms and funny straps. ;) Obviously if you stop your ventures  you most likely can find work as a juggler.  Lots of qualifications there.:D :D ;D

Tom the Sawyer

In my area, temporary employees (sawmill labor, no driving or equipment operations) is $19 p/hr to the agency.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

DR Buck

This is why I have purposely tempered my business.    I sawmill what and when I want.   Granted, I don't depend on the sawmill business for living income.   That is covered by retirement from my previous day job.   But that's been the plan and business model for the past 15+ years since I started milling.   

I have no employees, and milling is done on my terms and my schedule.   I like it that way.   I have had several opportunities to expand and mill full time.   I did not take any of them.   I advertise, mill and kiln dry.  Last year I bought a new mill and this week I purchased my 2nd Nyle kiln.  It get delivered tomorrow.   I keep busy and now thing are picking up here in my new location after moving.   I plan  to stick with my custom milling and drying and continue to not let it drive me or my schedule.   I like having the extra cash to do things but if I'm idle and have time for other endeavors, that's great also.

If you not happy with what you are doing, then do something else...
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!