iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling sap.

Started by Joe Hillmann, April 08, 2015, 10:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

Does anyone here have any experience selling maple sap?

I am thinking about selling some next year but don't know what to expect.

What is it worth?
Can you keep it overnight or do they want it the same day it came out of the trees?  How do they measure it?  And any other things that you think are important that I don't even know to ask about.

Mapleman

Joe - http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/SapBuying2010_files/ShouldYouBuySap.pdf

This is a link to some info published by Cornell that explains in some detail the ins and outs of buying and selling sap.  There's a link in there to a spreadsheet developed at Cornell that allows you to enter in the current bulk price for syrup, and the percentage of that price that is to be allocated to the sap producer, the sweetness of the sap, and which then gives you the price per gallon for that sap.  The bulk price and the percentage allocated to the sap producer should be agreed on before the season starts, so there's no arguments later. 

In my case the guy I've been buying from and myself have decided that allowing him 65% of the bulk price is fair  This is on the high end of what I'm willing to pay but he brings me nice clean sap that hasn't sat around for days.  Some guys only allow 50%.  We're using a bulk price of $2.40.  Going by the spreadsheet, he's been getting 51 cents a gallon for the 2.5% sap that he's been bringing.  The spreadsheet is for sap delivered to the sugar house.

You'll need a way to measure the volume of sap, which can be tricky without a flow meter.  We go by the markings on the side of his plastic tank, it might be a little imprecise but we're both OK with it.  You'll also need to measure the sweetness of the sap.  You can spend a lot of money on a refractometer but I use a hydrometer made for measuring sap sweetness, just float it in the sap and take a reading.  When I bought the hydrometer I also bought a dip cup to float it in, its a lot easier to use than a pail or the sap tank itself.  The longer hydrometers are more accurate. 

As far as when to deliver the sap, you'll have to work that out with who you're selling to.  In general the fresher the sap the better.  The buyer isn't going to want the sap at the end of the day when he's already shut down, and his sap storage situation will also have a lot to do with when he wants it delivered.  Good communication between you and the buyer on a daily basis is important. 

I hope this answers more questions than it raises....

Dave

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Joe Hillmann

That is some helpful information.  Knowing the going somewhat of the going rate for sap helps too.  For all I knew it could only be worth a few pennies a gallon.  But knowing that $.50/gallon is on the high end I can kind of get an idea of if it would be worthwhile for me to for me to contact a buyer. 

This year I collected 500 to 600 gallons of sap but it was only about 1.3% sugar(it took 55-60 gallons of syrup to make one gallon of sap)  So I assume that would make it worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $.25 per gallon?

Farmer Jim

A large local producer buys and bases price on the tables in a small book that comes with a Maple News subscription.  Seems as though those tables are something Cornell puts out.  He used to just buy the sap based on sugar content and bulk price as per those tables, but I am told he now boils it to see the quality of the syrup before paying.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Chuck White

There is a local producer about 6 miles from us and he's paying $.36 - $.40 a gallon.

Best bet, find one of the larger producers and ask about next season.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Chuck White on April 10, 2015, 06:03:37 PM
There is a local producer about 6 miles from us and he's paying $.36 - $.40 a gallon.

Best bet, find one of the larger producers and ask about next season.

I will probably ask around to see if I can find someone local.  There are two in the area that I know of who will buy it but are 30+ miles from where I am tapping the trees.  It would be nice if I could find one closer.

millwright

Joe, there is a place not too far from you that buys it, it is  Anderson's and they are between L uck and Cumberland.  They have a good website.  I just go to Anderson maple syrup.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: millwright on April 12, 2015, 02:48:39 PM
Joe, there is a place not too far from you that buys it, it is  Anderson's and they are between L uck and Cumberland.  They have a good website.  I just go to Anderson maple syrup.

Thanks for the tip, but they are 40-50 miles away so I doubt I will use them.  I was at the local grocery store today and they had syrup for sale from a sugarbush that is about 6 miles from where I am collecting.  So I will try contacting them this spring and see if they buy sap.

Thank You Sponsors!