iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BMS250 Sharpener 220 to 110?

Started by 123maxbars, June 23, 2018, 11:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Recently got a new Wood-Mizer BMS250 sharpener. I got the one that is pre wired for 220v but plans have change and it looks like I am going to be utilizing my garage to sharpen blades. I currently only have 110 in my garage and running a new 220 circuit at the moment just isn't feasible due to other issues.

The manual doesn't state anywhere if this is possible. I plan on talking with wood-mizer Monday about this but wanted to see if anyone on here had converted their sharpener to 110?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Percy

Quote from: 123maxbars on June 23, 2018, 11:20:59 AM
Recently got a new Wood-Mizer BMS250 sharpener. I got the one that is pre wired for 220v but plans have change and it looks like I am going to be utilizing my garage to sharpen blades. I currently only have 110 in my garage and running a new 220 circuit at the moment just isn't feasible due to other issues.

The manual doesn't state anywhere if this is possible. I plan on talking with wood-mizer Monday about this but wanted to see if anyone on here had converted their sharpener to 110?

Thanks for any suggestions.
My BMS250 came wired 110....Sparks or Marty will know this stuff for sure but Im here to give you hope..  ;D I have converted many electric motors from 220 to 110 and versa visa(thats visa versa, visa versa :D) by rewiring the connections in the motors terminal compartment(they usually have a diagram in the box with voltage and directional wiring schemes). The electronics may or may not have their own transformer for powersupply and this its the stuff I know nothing about. Im rooting for you ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

I have zero experience with the sharpener but the schematic should be inside of the motor cover plate. 

Normally for 220, the hot leads are 1 & 4 with 2 & 3 strapped together.  For 110, the hot leads are 1 & 3 for one side and 2 & 4 for the other side. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Perhaps in the manual? I'm sure it will discuss using only 220, but maybe there will be talk of converting it there. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tawilson

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 23, 2018, 05:44:32 PM
Perhaps in the manual? I'm sure it will discuss using only 220, but maybe there will be talk of converting it there.
He checked and I looked through mine. All I found is you have to order the voltage you want. It's got 2 motors and a controller so there will be some finanglin to.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Lawg Dawg

Just pull you a 220 wire right quick, probably runs better on 220. BTW , did you get the setter to go with it?

Probably $50 materials and a couple hours, I'll ride up and help you get er done!  ;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

gmmills

Unfortunately you have a dedicated 220 volt machine. No wire swapping is going to enable you to convert it.  It may be able to be done, but not without changing some expensive components.  The grinder motor itself is 220 volt. It would need to be swapped out for the 110 volt model. Although the motors themselves look nearly identical they are voltage specific. Have separate part numbers.  The transformer in the control box will also need to be changed to a 110 volt model.  The 110 pump motor is the same for both units. The rest of the machines motors and electronics are converted to 12 volt  DC by a bridge rectifier on the circuit board .  

Simple fix at this time would be to purchase a generator capable of putting out 220 volts.  

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Magicman

Sounds like you need a step up transformer.  You would have to know the wattage of the sharpener to get it sized correctly.  I just made a quick Google:  LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

You could potentially make a "special" cable using two 110 outlets, so long as each 110 is on a separate hot Line bus in the panel. (connecting two 110's that are running off the same Line bus will not work due to no voltage potential between the two).

If you have two 110 circuits at your garage location and can determine or change them so that one circuit is on Line Bus 1 and one is on Line Bus 2, then you could use 1 ea. as the two hots of your 220.

DISCLAIMER: I very much doubt this is kosher to code or electrical best practices, but could work.

If not, or you do not understand this, Magic's solution is a good one!

FYI, I recently got a 250 sharpener as well and opted to go 110 to give me flexibility of site(s) even though I have 220 or can install it.
I figured that it doesn't take much power, so 220 not needed...for me.

Good luck!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

123maxbars

I appreciate the help from everyone. Looks like since the machine is 220 dedicated I am gong to just run a temporary 220 outlet to my garage. The long term plan is to finish up a small dedicated sharpening building beside my kiln. that should be done this summer and I can then move it out there. Thanks again for the input, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Crusarius

how close are you to the dryer outlet? get an extension cord.

Thank You Sponsors!