iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker

Started by Bruno of NH, March 31, 2019, 08:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Morning folks
Anyone have a Baker 18hd with hydraulic options?
How are their mills and service?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

RAYAR

I don't have a Baker 18, but my mill is built very similar to a Baker 18 and it's a very solidly built mill and simple to operate.
The one thing I would do first thing is with the drop legs in the travel position, I would drill just above the tubes they slide through and insert pins to make sure they can't drop while traveling. Doesn't seem to matter how tight you crank that T-bolt, one day one will drop on you. I had two drop on me on the same day at different times and I know I tightened them good.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

thecfarm

When I saw them at the Bangor show,they look like a rugged mill. Just like the Thomas you got.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Ray
I need to get into some hydraulics
That's why I'm looking.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I just meant that they are a rugged mill like the mill we have. Looks like they put some steel into the mills. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I would keep my Thomas if I could get a power feed back and forth added to it.

RAYAR

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 31, 2019, 11:24:04 AM
Ray
I need to get into some hydraulics
That's why I'm looking.
Mine is all manual, but maybe some day I'd like some hydraulics too, especially loading arms.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

47sawdust

It might be more work than you want to get involved in but I'm thinking you could add a power feed to your mill.If you go to Kbeitz's gallery you might find helpful info as well as how to's in some of his old posts.Pineywoods is also a great resource for retrofits.
When I was looking at sawmills I called Baker and they gave me the names of several owners near me.I am sure they would do the same for you.
Good luck,Mick

I just looked through forum member Kellogg's gallery.He converted his cooks mill to power feed.Wheel chair motor and dual chain drive.
Homemade bandsaw mill power feed part 1
youtube
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

Mick
Are you going to come on May 4th to the Northern Project 
Would love to have you come.
Bruno

thecfarm

Power feed,to power the head to go back and fourth? I saw that at the Bangor show. Very simple thing.

Quebecnewf

I have an Enercraft which was a Canadian company that baker bought out . Their 18 was a direct copy of of the mill that Enercraft made . 

I have a friend that has a Baker 18 . They scaled down the frame a bit from the Enercraft model it is not quite as strong as my frame but still plenty strong enough to handle any logs .

My mill has Hyd drive on the saw head but all other functions are Manuel .

Been running it for 26 years now . Great mill in my opnion 

Quebecnewf 

tacks Y

There is a Baker at auction not far from me this Sat. (Zip 16365 check auctionzip)  It is electric, looks like it was never portable. Hard to tell model by pic, maybe I can take a look if any interest. 

Quebecnewf

Can you post a better link . I tried some searches but no luck. I am very familiar with most of the Baker line so might be able to add some details .

Quebecnewf 

joshuar

Hello I'm a sales consultant with Baker Products and would be happy to answer any ? you may have

Josh

tacks Y

I went to look at the Baker at auction this Sat. Should go cheap, under roof but rough. Model BBS-O, 40hp electric, another motor for hydraulic, built in 97. It is a stationary mill, does open close to 36" between guides. Not used enough and rusty.

tmbrcruiser

The 36 refers to diameter of the log capacity, I believe the guides open to 26". I have a 3650E, 36 is log capacity and 50 hp electric.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tacks Y

Not sure how big it will cut, but close to 42" inside frame. Guide goes in and out with a hyd motor on arm. I pulled it out and messured about 36".

Thank You Sponsors!