Nyle vent.

Started by firefighter ontheside, July 06, 2020, 05:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Does the Nyle vent open when it has power and then close again when power is removed?  Hope that makes sense.  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RichTired

I think you have to clap your hands to make it work... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Southside

My guess is yes as I hear the relay close and the fan kick on when it opens.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: RichTired on July 07, 2020, 07:24:12 PM

lol.  When I was a new firefighter back in 1992 we didnt have fancy alerter systems that turned on our bunk room lights.  Instead we had a clapper that had a lamp plugged into it.  When the loud claxton would go off for a call, the clapper would turn on the lamp.  Of course it also turned on in the middle of the night when someone would sneeze or cough.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on July 07, 2020, 07:30:59 PM
My guess is yes as I hear the relay close and the fan kick on when it opens.
Just wondering if i can buy just the vent and wire it to a thermostat that turns on power when the temp reaches the set point.  So the vent would open when too hot and close once the temp goes back down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

The Nyle vents are passive louvers.  They don't have a mechanism themselves, when the fan is running, the airflow is enough to swing the louvers open.  When the fan turns off, the airflow ceases and the louvers close by gravity.

As such, its always a good idea to occasionally manually trip the louvers by hand to make sure they aren't sticking.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 07, 2020, 08:02:55 PM
Quote from: RichTired on July 07, 2020, 07:24:12 PM

lol.  When I was a new firefighter back in 1992 we didnt have fancy alerter systems that turned on our bunk room lights.  Instead we had a clapper that had a lamp plugged into it.  When the loud claxton would go off for a call, the clapper would turn on the lamp.  Of course it also turned on in the middle of the night when someone would sneeze or cough.
OH, I laughed WAY too hard at this. When I started as a volley, I thought I needed a pager charger that had a set of dry contacts to turn on a light to get me going. That was pretty stupid. I passed on it because I didn't want to disturb the wife too much. As it turned out my brain was trained such that before the first set of tones finished I would have my socks on and be out of the bedroom before the dispatch was finished. Oh, and the wife? For some reason she hardly ever heard the pager go off. I could leave on a call at midnight and get back at 5:30 and the only reason she knew I was gone at all was because she heard me coming in around the time she got up. In some (very small) way, I miss those days.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

@Old Greenhorn yeah, I was already working fulltime when I got married, but then I started volunteering for the dept. where we live and I had the same things.  She would not hear me leave and then wonder what I was doing up when I was coming back home at all hours.  When we had kids, I stopped volunteering.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed