iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well, trying to get back on the horse and get my butt in gear. Feeling better all around and someday my left ear may even let sound in again. ;D Still a little on the tired side, but gonna keep pushing.
 SO I went down to Bill's a bit later than normal and found a new surprise. 

No idea what this is gonna be, maybe a kiln or wood storage. I didn't get to ask him yet. SO iwnert down to the mill with the toolcat and pulled this log. I need to make 'a bunch' of 2x8x8' for the shop gable wall. This log is only 8' plus and since we don't mill stuff so short and it's a junk log anyway I figured I would use it up and free up the space. It had a bunch of rot on one side.

It was also a bear to turn. In that photo, you can see the clamp is at it's full height, so I used the chain turner to help hold it. It didn't look too pretty from the end either.

Bill came by about the time I had taken the first slab off and asked why I picked that one.  :D He watched me struggle to roll it for a bit and saw that I was getting it, just slow and easy so he went back to work too. He thought I would start with smaller logs, I just wanted that big dog out of the way. I got 14 decent boards out of it and it's gone now. Took me over an hour, that one did, because of it's size and bad shape I needed to waste a few cuts.
 I bucked a couple more logs for tomorrow, then headed home with some junk 2x4x12's and started building a raised skid to lift the machine up and down from the loft. Maybe this weekend. Got the frames cut and screwed up. Should finish that up tomorrow.
 Fairly tired, should rack out early tonight then do it again tomorrow.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Well I didn't rack out when I should have last night. I found two Bogart movies on TCM back to back and couldn't resist. One I had never seen before. Good stuff. ;D
 But still feeling a bit better, the left ear is nearly clear now and I got to the mill around 10am. When I got down there I saw that his semi box trailer count had doubled this morning. (Actually I saw that trailer go past my house at 7am and thought it a little weird to see a beat up trailer behind another friends show quality semi truck. :D then I put it together in my head, no coffee yet at that point.)

(Cooler in the mornings now, needed a sweatshirt). I milled a couple more smaller logs for Bill's needs and decided I needed to mil up my ERC logs to get them drying now. The first one up was the smallest and if I was looking at any other species, this would have been firewood, but I treasure every piece of ERC, so I mill whatever I can.

That one had a rot groove up the side where I lost some yield , but I got what I could. The second log was kind of middle sized, maybe 10-12" with less damage. The third log was the largest of this group and had pretty nice wood with lots of red heart.

I got pretty good wood out of that and took some 6/4 boards with all the remaining being 4/4. I brought it all home and sticker stacked it in the garage for better safer drying.

Yeah, that top layer and a half is off and will be redone as I add more. I still have the butt log left to mill. I also have some stuff I milled back in the spring I will stack on top of this, that stuff is pretty much all air dried. This stuff, in my mind, is like gold to me because it is so hard to come by (with my methods). I am very pleased to have it. In fact, when I get this stuff air dried, I may take it to the kiln for proper finishing now that I have access to one. I have a build in mind, for my own home for a change, and I want to, for once, start with prefect wood. I milled everything in random widths, trying to get the most out and knowing I would be planeing, ripping, and jointing all the wood to size anyway. I think I already have enough for the cabinet type thing I want to build, but I will get that butt log done and finish the stack off.

After I cleared all that stuff up I wanted to fix the tank valve on the lubemiser system on the mill. That dang plastic valve on the tank has a rubber bushing inside that either froze and broke or just failed at some point and messed up the flow. I figured that out a month ago and took the bushing out, but there was no way to close the valve. We talked to the WM guys at Boonville and they said "just buy one locally, it's cheaper". So it waited until I got annoyed again. Today was that day. I was going to go to town and look for a valve and then thought "Hey, this is a stupid plastic valve. Why not put in a proper valve instead of this plastic crap?" So I looked in my parts drawers and sure enough I had a nice brass valve, NOS, so I grabbed it and some tools and went back to the mill. Well apparently my old eyes can't tell the difference between a 1/2" and a 3/4" NPT by eye anymore and I needed a bushing. Bill showed up to grab slabs for the OWB and said all he had in the shop would be black pipe and neither of us wanted that. SO I threw the stuff in the truck to finish in my shop. But I needed to catch up with him on other stuff and finally he said "can we have this conversation over a beer while I fill and re-fire the OWB?" SUre...so up we went and did that while I asked questions. We got the OWB filled up and re-started and I learned that he actually had 5 of those trailers he got at a commercial cleanout job. He got paid to remove them and empty them as well as the building they were in. They will wind up in the back 40 for storage or if anybody needs one, he can make a deal. ;D We caught up on a bunch of stuff, those 16'slabs we have at the kiln are ready, but we will likely got out and plane them at the site, for an added fee, then trailer them back home, it will save time. We need to arrange a day to do that. I am pushing to get the slab poured in the steel building so we can move forward on making a woodshop at temporary slab storage area. But he needs to get the gable wall done on the second story of the shop expansion before the weather comes in. He has the lumber to get that on a good start.

I got back home after a couple of beers and grabbing some eggs from his chickens and I looked around and had one galvanized bushing for the valve. So I put it all together and it's ready to go back on. By that time it was past dinner time, I called it a day. Pat was over at my son's getting the boys off the bus, so she was late getting back. We had a later dinner and I broke the news on this build I have in mind, She is not only on board, she has input. SO that's good. I want to put a little extra effort into this and see if I can actually do some woodworking stuff like the real guys do. This will be one of those "I get it done when I get it done" type things where I learn as I go and have a lot of stops and re-starts. At least that's what I think it will be. Patience has never been one of my virtues, but in this case, it's the only way because my 'in my mind' construction plans include a lot of things I have never done, just seen and wanted to try.
 Whatever.
 Tomorrow is another day for all of us.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Yesterday I didn't do much, mostly got a bit more ready for moving the machines up and down. I got the old table saw cued up at the lift point after I made a path to move it there. I shuffled things around down stair to make room for the toolcat and finished the skid riser platform to get up high enough for an easy move on and off the deck.
 I went down to Bill's later and replaced the valve on the lube tank and that works well now. I forgot he was out for the day at an auction. (No joy there.) As I was leaving he was coming in and we chatted a bit. He was having a small party that evening to set off the burn pile that he couldn't burn during his party because of unsafe conditions. It needs to be burned down to make room for more of the storm damage stuff coming in all the time. The pile stands at nearly 20' high and 35' or so in diameter.
 SO after dinner the wife and I went down, enjoyed some light snacks, met a few new people and some old friends, had a couple of beers, and a heck of a fire. 

I slept in a little this morning as my back is starting to bother me and that hip pain is back. I missed my chiro appt this month because I has the crud. Eventually I got the shop final prepped for the move. Bill came down with the toolcat and his 5 year old helper, Little Inga. Got the old saw down, and the new saw up, Then we got the double drum sander in the shop on the floor. That thing is dang heavy and is going to need a complete rebuild. Everything has to come apart, it's all rusted and frozen up. I just have to make sure the two motors work before I get too far into it. It takes a lot of my floor space so I will have to get on it. 
 BUT Bill has 3 woodsheds he has to build and I need to cut lumber for. He has no cut list. ;D I have to get my last ERC log done and out of there, then I can start on the hemlock 6x6's and 2x6's for the bases and pine for everything else. Guess I should make up a drawing or something.

Anyway I spent some of the afternoon reading an old 4 page thread here on the FF that I got sucked into and then went out in the shop and started putting things back together. I put the rail back up on the loft, replaced the sanding bench, moved the RAS back where it was, and the new table saw where it will go. I moved the stuff around on the ground floor so I could get the Mule back in it's bay. Next on the list is to re-do my dust collector duct work to correct my newbie errors on the first try, and run the ducting for the new saw. I have to also add on overhead 2" pickup for that saw. SO some cutting and fitting will be required. That all may have to sit for a while. Looks like the milling needs to get done soon.

There's always plenty to do around here, especially at the rate I work.

Old Greenhorn

Full day today. I went down and milled up that last ERC log. I saved to butt log for last and was very disappointed. It had lots of rot cracks, and ant nest, and was generally poor, I barely got 3 clear boards out of it, the rest is all compromise. I milled it all and brought it home and stacked it, then I moved the stuff I milled in June over and put it on top of the stack. A quick calc tells me I have over 300BF, but a lot of that will be lost when it dries and I rip out all the crud sections. I just left it full length for an even stack. 

Anyway, it sits there drying. I had lunch, then went back to the mill and loaded all the slabs from these logs into the truck and I shoveled off the deck making all ready for the next orders. I brought the slabs home and threw them on a trailer. I am thinking of making smoker wood/kindling bundles to put up for sale at the Egg stand. I don't know if anyone uses ERC for smoking, but it makes great kindling. I like small cutoffs for air fresheners. I left one on the dash of the truck and one in the toolcat. I also stuck one in the bathroom by my desk. ;D

I had to run a neighbor down to town to catch a bus, so I did some errands there, then back in the shop. Dinner, and then back out in the shop after to start hooking up and fixing my dust collection system with the new saw. I also took photos of the old saw and posted it on marketplace. I finally plugged in the saw and tried it. It's like night and day over my old one. Yes, this was a fine upgrade. I am looking forward to running that cedar through it and trying my hand at making a cabinet we need.

I'm tired, but at least I can now work a full day without being exhausted and pooping out by 3pm.
 Now I have to start getting things figured out for that shed order.

Nebraska

I'd share some Red  Cedar for some White Pine.... :)  Red Cedar is probably even more lowly here than Mulberry  it's a weed to most. . 

Old Greenhorn

DEAL! I am sick of EWP, just about all the 2x stuff I will at Bill's is that stuff. You saw the video a few months back of the log piles. He does have a bunch of cedar he's collected, but it still sits in logs. I love the smell myself. But mostly, it has character. Most of the other wood we have is boring. SM, HM, RO, Ash is all ho-hum wood for me.
 Heck, we run his OWB on EWP 365 days a year. We throw in 5' logs of it all the time.
 I hope out of that 300 BF I have enough to make a few things after I've cut out all the punky cracked stuff. I will say that I have learned from that potting bench I made out of the stuff that it really doesn't hold the color if you treat it with Lindseed oil. But that was for an outdoor application. I will try poly, maybe spray, to see if I can get some color to hold.

doc henderson

I use the spar urethane and it turns brown instead of grey.  the big logs often have ant colonies and or pith rot.  Wish you were closer.  I have used the best of the first 200 logs given to me by a guy clearing a farm for wildlife, and he has another 400 waiting for me to pick up... sorry to bring up "brown" again. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Well, we have them around here, but I generally don't get them myself. I just enjoy something different. Yeah that butt log had all the usual issues, including cracks, rot pockets, ant nest, etc.. I think a lot of that will wind up being short 1x4's for trim and such. I sure am not going to waste any of it. I've got my eye on 3 nice walnut logs Bill has, two look to be veneer quality. But he is waffling between selling them and milling them.

That urethane you use, is it oil based? The wood I made the bench from was pretty old, laying around for 15 years and I think that had a lot to do with the color. I didn't want to plane fresh surfaces since it was already planed out.

Yeah, I wish you were closer too.

doc henderson

it is a surface finish by minwax.  uv protection added spar urethane.  it will peel over time.  some of the oils for exterior may work well like waterlox.  I will get a pic of the little library instaleed a few years back I think.  it still looks great, from the street.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

The last couple of days I have been bouncing around on small and different things, bucking some firewood, messing with that drum sander to see what I need to do and how I am going to do it, getting the old TS ready to go out the door and trying to find a buyer. I also continue to try and straighten up the shop and reassemble everything, the duct collector ducts, and all the stuff I moved to switch out machines. It's all coming along slowly. I went down to Bill's last evening to work out a BOM for these woodsheds but I missed him, he was out on an emergency call or something.
 This morning I got a text an hour or so before word hit the forum about Danny (WDH) and I have been thinking about him all day. For a guy I never met, he sure taught me a lot but what set him apart was that he taught me (us) how to figure it out or where we could look it up. Knowledge is power and he had a lot of that. I've been reading the comments in that thread all day off and on and the thing that stands out is how much he shared with everyone he interacted with. It's a universal comment, it would seem. He really was that special. I feel so badly for his family. This family we have here is gonna be hurting for a while too, he was a big part of it and I know many here were quite close with him, not the least of which were Jeff and Tammy. SO not only have I been thinking of him but I have been thinking about those good friends he had here on the forum. I know I am not the only one feeling down all day today. I still don't know what else can be said. I will surely miss him. We have all lost a good man in him, but as was already said, we are richer for having known him.
 So I stumbled through today. I had a guy come look at the saw, but he is a tire kicker and said he has one other one to look at before he decides. Great, a waste of my morning. After he left I went down to Bill's again, and again I missed him. Feel like I am spinning my wheels. I did get some photos of that last table build from the client, so I got those up on my FB page and they are now shared on the RiteLeg page also. Not great photos, but beggars can't be choosers.

You can see the custom paint Deb legs on the table and benches. 

In the above photo you can see the mineral stain I fought with. The client accepted it as a 'feature'. They say they 'love the table'. Good enough for me. I got the slabs from Bantle's Boards and the legs from RiteLeg, obviously. It's a 3 hour round trip for me, but one stop shopping. The nails I found in the slab were a surprise but I worked with it and didn't ruin any cutting tools. I put this tree at about 80 years old. If I recall correctly @Tam-i-am told me this slab came out of the same log as the LogRite conference room table slab.

Nebraska

Old Greenhorn

Thank you. I was semi-happy with that one. The nails threw me off a bit, but I left the stain as a 'feature' and epoxy filled the holes. Not much epoxy on this one at all maybe 9 oz. by weight on the whole thing and most of that was sanded off. But I did try coloring the epoxy to match the legs on a whim. I got the color match pretty spot on, but there is so little epoxy you almost need a loupe to see it. The lie edges on this one looked very nice and were a selling point. 

Guydreads

I would die to have wood like that here lol. That is craftsmanship right there!

Old Greenhorn

Oh my! Thank you. Red Oak is very common here, we use it for firewood. The client specifically requested this because he has a progressive farm where they grow trees, fruits, and vegetables. They are in a very different micro-climate from my area and at 2,200' elevation and he can count all the red oaks he has on his property without running out of fingers. He seems to like that wood. As I said it's common here, but to get the width I would have to do a glue up. As it turned out Bantle's Boards over in CT just restarted their operation within the LogRite/RiteLeg Facility. They have a large stock of kiln dried slabs stored inside. So I could pick up the legs and the slabs in one shot and even pick the slabs I wanted. I worry about shipping damage on custom painted legs. The only downside is driving through CT and SE NY traffic. I just add 4 hours of my time to the bill plus some gas. On a table this expensive it's a small amount. Starting with good materials is a key to getting a good output. Having access to a slabmizer on my road is also handy. I think it took less than 2 hours to get all three slabs flattened and back to my shop.

I know finding hardwood in EU is tough. I spent some time with a Journeyman floor restoration fella from Germany at a wedding a few years back and we were leaning on a Red Oak bar I had made for the couple as a wedding present. He marveled at the wood we have available and he asked me how hard it was to get that wood here, how far did I have to go? I pointed down across the road and through the trees and said I 'had to go all the way across the road, wanna see the stump?' He just shook his head and said, we can't do that, and even if we could these trees are not there.

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 22, 2022, 05:01:37 PM

In the above photo you can see the mineral stain I fought with. The client accepted it as a 'feature'. They say they 'love the table'. Good enough for me. I got the slabs from Bantle's Boards and the legs from RiteLeg, obviously. It's a 3 hour round trip for me, but one stop shopping. The nails I found in the slab were a surprise but I worked with it and didn't ruin any cutting tools. I put this tree at about 80 years old. If I recall correctly @Tam-i-am told me this slab came out of the same log as the LogRite conference room table slab.
Here is the table from the same tree.  We left all the staining as character.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Guydreads

Yeah, here in Spain in the mountains, you have to get PERMITS to cut down ANY tree (even on private property). As an American living here, I find that just annoying lol. It's actually easier to get a permit to cut down live trees than dead trees, as they say that the dead trees are the "habitat" of the things that associate with dead things lol. Well, yes, that is true. However, there are so many dead trees, that it will soon become an overpopulation of these critters. Yes, large hardwood is hard to find here, however we do have a local oak that is REALLY knotty but very solid wood. We also have American oaks. You can occasionally find a 36" base oak around. Pine is the major source of wood income around here. We have a local sawmill that also sells some oak, but not in large boards at all.

Old Greenhorn

I've been pretty melancholy since last Wednesday's news. It's been pretty hard to take on a number of levels and I also feel bad for the guys here who really got to know and enjoy Danny, a hell of a man, who was their good friend. Life goes on, but those first steps have always been hard for me. I've never been very fast at anything to tell the truth.
 Anyway, Friday the temps dropped around here pretty good. I went down to Bill's in the afternoon and we hooked up his small 16' trailer and drove an hour west and up about 1,500 more feet in elevation. We landed at Gary Mead's shop around 5:30. I should have brought a jacket. ;D The wind was a-whippin out there as dark fell. We were going to plane them in Gary's shop after the kiln, but they were just a bit over the 24" he could fit, some phones calls with the client and it was decided to do them on the slabmizer at Bill's place, still tricky to do the 16.5', but what the heck. So we loaded the trailer and tied it down. Bill found out Gary likes dark beers, so we brought out a growler and went back in the shop for some 'samples', Gary, his guy, Bill, Bill's little 5y/o girl Inga, and me. Gary gave Inga a special tour of the shop and answered all her questions. He loves kids and has school groups visit often.  He had already given copies of his books to Bill for her on our last visits. She also found some 'interesting' cutoffs from various glue-ups that were destined for the wood stove which Gary happily gifted her with. It was after 9pm by the time I dropped the trailer at Bill's place. Dang but it felt pretty cold for mid 40's and no jacket.

Saturday I had forgotten I promised to take my wife out to the cauliflower festival in Margaretville. She reminded me. ;D SO.... out we went, right back on the hour drive west I had done the night before. The festival was OK (this time I had a jacket) and I ran into the boys from the CFA I know and a few other folks. But we didn't find anything special. Since we were only 5 minutes away from Gary's gallery, I talked the wife into a visit. Gary wasn't there, but he doesn't lock the gallery and invites guests in as long as they sign the book, which we did. She really enjoyed his work and all the details. I am getting pretty good at explaining his work and the neat details. After about 40 minutes or so, we left and as I was approaching the op of his driveway, he was coming in. He said "Hey I saw you across the field over at the festival, but by the time I crossed, I couldn't find you, now here you are!" We laughed and I explained I wanted my wife to see his work even though it makes mine look a lot worse. :D We are looking forward to getting Gary to come here for a visit to Bill's place and maybe mine too since he has to drive past it anyway.

Not much on Sunday, I did some firewood work but when the rain came and I decided I was wet enough I piddled in the shop a bit and then came in the house and figured out how to burn up that stupid Amazon gift card. I ordered 2 X-cut chains for my 450 and a new weather station thingy. Just temp and humidity indoor and outdoor. It's a silly little thing. I had a cheapy that has worked fine for more than 5 years, but the remote isn't working anymore and I have found that it is the first thing I look at every morning and the last thing I check every night, and I miss it more than I thought. So I blew almost 60 bucks on a better one. Hey, it was a gift, right? It arrived this evening and is working just fine, I'm happy, but really looking forward to trying the new chain on the 450 more. ;D

Today we had the monthly chiro appointment, which we missed last month due to my COVID. I needed it. Got home, did lunch, and I headed to the mill. We have 3 sheds to build and I spent an hour or so on Sunday making sense of Bill's sketches. I broke the sizes into a spreadsheet, then tried to derive the log requirements out of that. It's still a confusing mess. So I went down and started picking, bucking, and stacking logs.

Bill came by on the forwarder and he moved a couple of logs for me. In the process of chatting, apparently he gave me the wrong floor sizes and the 6x14' shed is actually an 8x10' shed. So some of the logs I cut might be wasted. Anyway, I did get some logs ready to mill, this stack and a couple on the mill deck.

I also tagged a couple of hemlocks but they are way up on the pile and I need Bill to grab them off with the picker. I am not doing something dumb, not here anyway.

The hemlock pile is all 20-24 footers, except a couple of 16's. Because of the shed size change, some of the logs I cut may be wasted, but we'll see. It's all good. Extra 2x4's never last very long around here. :D
 Anyway, black clouds came over and the sky dumped...HARD. So I threw the saws in the 'cat and headed up, right behind Bill. I headed home soaking wet and re-did my spreadsheet based on the 'revised' shed sizes. One thing that I felt really good about is all the pine logs came from directly across from the mill deck. This just helps to reduce that pile and open up the area so that it's MUCH easier to get logs in and out. It's one of those things that bothers me EVERY time I move in logs. Taking steps to save steps. It's also the area that gets flooded, mudded, and frozen during all seasons. Bill told me he has all the materials to run the drain through he's wanted to do for years, so clearing that out will make it easier to get in with the excavator and hammer and open up a drainage trench in the rock, lay the pipe, and grade it all over. That will be a real improvement. The mud can be 10" deep sometimes and hang in for weeks in the cooler weather.  The ice is even worse. We never seem to have time to fix this stuff, but we have time to fight with it everyday. Hope we can get that drain in before the ground freezes.
 Tomorrow is another day and I guess I'll try milling some stuff up.

aigheadish

Good job making me sad to have not visited Gary when we were up there! Sounds like you guys are becoming quick buds, that's neat. Some day I'll have to make a trek up there to visit you again, maybe for a few days so I can bumble around some and you can show me some more sights, without that pesky family in tow. (I'm obviously kidding, my family is cool, but they aren't as into the wood stuffs as I am) I'd love to help out on the mill with you and see how that whole process goes. I'd find a hotel room though, my car is a bit tiny for sleeping in (but would be lots of fun around your roads up there).
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am sorry about that, but we had to make choices and the walking tour of Woodstock was kind of the substitute for the 3 hour loop out to Gary's plus visit time. Surely you would have enjoyed it, but your family would have been anxious to move on, I think. At the time I didn't know we could have access to the gallery whether he was there or not. Now I know better. 
 Gary does have a lifetime of knowledge and acquired skills he is willing to share for the asking and yeah, I guess we are hitting it off with shared experiences and he has taken a liking to Bill and wants to visit his place soon. (He made one little comment a few weeks ago that saved me hours of finishing work on that last table.)
 But you can't do everything at once. You are welcome back anytime and we have a guest room you can use, but it only fits one person. Or maybe we could put you up in one of Bill's campers out in the woods. No power and pretty dark, but comfy in the right weather and VERY private. :D
 Maybe on one of my visits I can shoot a walking tour video of his studio if it's OK with him. Maybe that will make up for it a little. I missed his show last week so will be waiting for the podcast this week. I did run into the show hosts at the festival Saturday.\

Next time I will try to do better. ;D

aigheadish

Hahaha, I wasn't really saying that to guilt trip you, I understood the constraints and we still had a lovely time! A video would be neat!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Well, I didn't post here yesterday and instead I posted over in the 'Watcha Sawin?' thread because most of my concerns had to do with that. ICYMI, here's a hint:

I also think I mentioned that Bill had a SXS dropped off for a little test run. A 3cyl. Diesel. We ran it around  in the swamp and had water halfway up to the dashboard, then a bit in the woods. I think he likes it, but this one is not for sale, just a tester outer.

Good ground clearance and very peppy with a 40 MPH top end.
 Last night Bill called me and asked me to stop by the place he was eating dinner with other friends for a beer. He told me to look in the back of his truck for some 'prizes' he picked up for us. He would not give me a hint. So I went down and found this:

Lots of roller tables, which we have been looking for for nearly a year. Always too expensive or too far away. Well now he got paid to clear out a warehouse and he found these. Looks like we have plenty to make life at the mill a lot easier. I already have ideas and can't wait to get the current mill order done so I can start messing around with them. When I grow up I wanna be like Yellowhammer. ;D

Today I milled some, with great caution. I am watching everything since the crash. Only a couple hundred BF done, but I had no new incidents, so that was good. Those green hemlock 6x6x10's are pretty dang heavy! I have 4 more of those to go plus a bunch of 1x and 2x, I just want to get the hemlock done first.

I ran errands in the later afternoon and found Bill at that warehouse cleanout. What a mess, now I know why they have had to spend so much time there. They are also tearing the roof and trusses off half the building for safety reasons. A lot of work.

My wife has her biggest show of the year this weekend and I have to go help up set up 'the bones' tomorrow (canopies, tables, shelving, etc. It's not fun for me, but she needs the help doing a 10x 20 booth with all that 'stuff'. Hopefully I can get some milling in too., but that is iffy.
 Tomorrow is another day.

thecfarm

Yes, on the hemlock.
I am great for sawing the tree and then sawing lumber, all within an hour of the tree hitting the ground. I had a friend help me on some hour old full 2x8x12. We worked putting them things up.
Well, I had some that dried about a month. He was dumb enough to help me again.
He liked it much better this time. He was shocked on how much lighter they were.
Now that's a friend!!!
I just about wore him out one day and then he comes back to help again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

Pretty gutsy running that loaner through the swamp, I love it! For anyone reading I've seen the swamp and it's legit, the only thing I can think to compare it to is the swamp where Yoda lives. I'd be worried about getting out in it and getting stuck, sounds like fun though! 

Sweet rollers! How much reconfiguration of the orientation of the mill will it take to make good use of them? Or will it just take rearranging log piles?

Good luck to your wife with the show, I hope it goes well. I've helped my wife set up for some shows and it's no joke! Usually involves taking fair amounts of heavy stuff long distances, on foot.  

Old Greenhorn

Cfarm, this is the only stuff so far I have used the forks to get off the mill and stacked, just too heavy. The EWP ones I did with little issue.

Aighead, if it didn't get through the water, he didn't want it. He only has a few days to demo it, so might as well get that over first. It did well. ;D

We don't plan on doing anything to the mill. These rollers will be outboard for handling lumber and slabs with less lifting and faster speeds. We (I) have yet to decide on a startup configuration. Work in progress.

Nebraska

Thank You Sponsors!