iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil mist in air, best way to exhaust?

Started by jimbarry, May 19, 2021, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

I run one of those Woodmizer BMS250 CBN sharpeners, oil cooled. It produces a mist in the air. Even with the cover down while it is running, a fair amount escapes. And there's a good amount just waiting to waft out when I open the cover. The top of the cover has a small port (3 inch think) for connection some sort of venting equipment. I am considering either exhaust outdoors, or recycle indoors. Not  a lot of CFM required. 

Anyone have a suggestion for what type of direct vent blower to exhaust outside, or some sort of blower/filter setup to keep it indoors.

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

mike_belben

If you want to reclaim the oil, make a breather canister out of just about anything, milk jug or bucket whatever.. full of fluff to condense the oil.  It could be brillo pads, cotton batting.  Hanging light chain is pretty common for diy race car breathers so it cant get ingested after breaking down over time. It wont rust due to galvanizing and oil coating.  A small one can be made from cutting up a bottle torch canister.  Its already tall and thin with a funnel spout when upside down.

Anyway that fluff adds surface area and collects the oil out of the air and will allow a drainback tube.  Now you just need some vacuum on top to pull the fog out of the grinding head and through the contraption.  

Torit and smog hog make industrial solutions for this on enclosed CNC machines with oil based flood coolant.  There used to be an inch of goo fur growing up the walls at the plant before smog hogs.
Praise The Lord

John Mc

When we had oil mist issues from the water soluable cooling oil on our rolling mills at work, we found that simple exhaust vents did not help. All we ended up with was a bunch of oil-soaked ductwork. We added an electrostatic precipitator, and that made a big difference. Ours were large units (big enough that I could probably fit inside if the box were gutted). I've often wondered if anyone makes smaller units, but neve have looked around for one.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!