iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any steam engine saw milling/threshing show (bee) going on in the midwest?

Started by Sedgehammer, August 11, 2021, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I can find threshing shows, but none have saw milling that i can see. When i was a young boy (say 48 years ago.....) I can remember our local fair. They had steam engines sawing/milling wood and had threshers running also. I can still smell the wood (my most favorite smell) being cut and milled. I'd like to take me family to one if not to far away. 

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

gunhandle

Steam-a-Rama Sept. 16-19 Republic, MO, Fort Scott ,Ks Oct 1-3 check website for info

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

The Ederville show in Carthage NC (first Friday in November, and that weekend) has a steam driven sawmill, as does the Silk Hope show over Labor Day.

One of the biggest steam shows is in Rollag, MN, but I don't know if they have any steam powered sawmills.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmfromkansas

Central Kansas Flywheels used to have a show where they thrashed some grain, sawed some lumber on a circle mill, and had some old tractors including steam powered, but could not find a posting for a show date.  You might look at their facebook page.  It is located on the north edge of 
Salina, Kansas. Salina advertises that their city is a great place to vacation, but I would disagree.  They just want you to come and spend your money. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

The one in Fort Scott lists a saw mill operation being demonstrated.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I think Rollag has 3 mills operating. One is a large mill, that they usually power with a steam thresher. It's been a long time since I watched it run, but it is impressive! I don't remember exactly, but there is a main saw and top saw, the Cottonwood they were cutting had to be 5' diameter. The sawyer rides on the carriage and he is getting after it! Rollag really has some impressive displays, you can't take it all in, in a day IMO.
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

I thought it was about this time of year, well, you better start driving its going on now  :).
Sycamore IL about 50 miles W of Chicago;
Steam Show - Northern Illinois Steam Power Club (sycamoresteamshow.com)
They have a sawmill and shingle mill.

goose63

@barbender is spot on Rollag has it all but you need more than one day to enjoy it all.

Thy have 3 big saw mills 2 run by steam. 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Sedgehammer

Quote from: barbender on August 12, 2021, 03:15:04 PM
I think Rollag has 3 mills operating. One is a large mill, that they usually power with a steam thresher. It's been a long time since I watched it run, but it is impressive! I don't remember exactly, but there is a main saw and top saw, the Cottonwood they were cutting had to be 5' diameter. The sawyer rides on the carriage and he is getting after it! Rollag really has some impressive displays, you can't take it all in, in a day IMO.
Rollag is where? what show is that called? thanks

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Cedarman

Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis runs their steam engine powered sawmill about every day during the fair.  They sawed 12 to 14 of my big cedar logs to make blocks that they make shingles which are really plaques that they stamp and sell. 
Visited the fair on the way back from the PR.
One pioneer booth has 12 oz milk for $.50 and refill for $.25  Hits the spot on a hot day.  Ice cream is super delicious also.
Fair runs for about 3 weeks first part of August each year.
Pioneer village has lots of other stuff to check out.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DWyatt

A good friend of mine has portable circle saw for his steam engine. His Neighbors have 3 steam engines now that they have basically rebuilt from the ground up. They are 2 brothers that have both been machinists and farmers their whole life. I watched these steam engines show up on a flat bed literally in boxes. They rolled a new tube, forged their own rivets, the whole nine yards. Anyways, there was just a show at the Findlay, Ohio fairgrounds last week that is all steam engines and antique equipment. My friend takes his steam engine and sawmill every year. Here's a coupe pictures from a show they host at their house every year, steam engines from across the Eastern US. 

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sedgehammer

Quote from: DWyatt on August 13, 2021, 07:55:19 AM
A good friend of mine has portable circle saw for his steam engine. His Neighbors have 3 steam engines now that they have basically rebuilt from the ground up. They are 2 brothers that have both been machinists and farmers their whole life. I watched these steam engines show up on a flat bed literally in boxes. They rolled a new tube, forged their own rivets, the whole nine yards. Anyways, there was just a show at the Findlay, Ohio fairgrounds last week that is all steam engines and antique equipment. My friend takes his steam engine and sawmill every year. Here's a coupe pictures from a show they host at their house every year, steam engines from across the Eastern US.

That's so cool

Resonator

Edgar Gas and Steam Show, August 27, 28, and 29th, 2021. Show grounds are near Edgar Wisconsin, which is located about in the middle of the state. My "Chasing the sawdust dream" thread has pictures of them sawmilling with steam power 2 years ago.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Cedarman, that sounds like an excellent state fair! Unfortunately our state fair (and even our county fair) would be nothing more than a carnival if not for the livestock. I can skip our's and it doesn't hurt my feelings🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

DennisK

Albert City Threshermens Show, Albert City, IA. Same weekend each year, started Friday and ends today.

gunhandle

Missouri River Valley Steam Engine Assc. Boonville,Mo Sept. 9-12 Circle mill ran with steam engines and gas tractors 

Larry

I was told their was going to be a sawmill running, but I wasn't listening real good.  I'm going for the hammer in.  Their will be some Master Smiths, Journeyman Smiths and Forged in Fire Competitors.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!