The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Beware of rotting frames on 2011 to 2021 Chevy Silverados  (Read 2681 times)

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Beware of rotting frames on 2011 to 2021 Chevy Silverados
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2021, 05:48:34 PM »
I run 6.7 fordsso I donít have trans problems. The gm shifting thing is well known. I just donít like gas engines. None will get the fuel mileage or pull with a diesel. The only one that comes remotely close is the 7.3 gas

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 06:49:26 PM »
I remember that one Jeff. That's what I am hoping to avoid because we love the truck and it was supposed to be our last. They use a neutralizing chemical that's supposed to eliminate the rust for good but I have my doubts and there is no corrosion warranty after 36 months.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
Another week gone by and still sitting at the dealer.  The tech starting on it had symptoms of Covid so he got sent home  for 10 days.  Then right after that another tech got the same symptoms and was also sent home. First one had covid and the second has the flue but still both have 10 days off. I don't  think businesses with vaccinated employees can trust the vaccine to work at this point.  Anyway they just can't find qualified help so I am on hold along with those scheduled behind me. Still  have the new Silverado so it's not so new anymore.  Checked mileage  last fillup and it's  19.8 combined local and a couple  longer trips. Can't  complain they are being  totally honest with  me and I bet they have buyers lined up for the loaner.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »
I figured that I would do a final update to this. The dealer had it for 3 months and kept promising to have it done in 2 weeks. At the end of 3 months I got a call that it was to bad for them to fix and there were no GM dealers in the area that would touch it. They were sending it to Ziebart to remove the bed , strip the frame then neutralize the rust, and coat the frame. Was told it would take a couple more days. Well the next day they dropped it off in my driveway and picked up the loaner with zero contact or paperwork. There was Ziebart dripping off everything and they just sprayed over the peeling undercoat and rust under it. I made a video for GM

It's private but this link should work
To see how the TSB was handled and GM said it was past the 36 month warranty period and they didn't care that it was started before the warranty ended and all Chevy truck frames rust like that in a little over 2 1/2 years. GM really sucks and no longer applies this TSB even though it's still a problem on the 21 models. Apparently they had the dealer park it out back till the warranty expired because it would have cost to much to fix it. I made the video above for the dealer and told them to spread it wide. Turns out the owner of this dealership and 4 more was never told about this problem ( even though I asked the service manager to notify her ). I got a call with a offer to buy back the truck for what I paid for it but seeing how it was over 3 years old they couldn't refund the sales tax.
My wife's car needed replacing and the owner also has Subaru dealerships so we came up with a deal for a new Subaru Forester for my wife to get most of the tax back with a discount and a big check. Well only took 8 weeks to have a new Subaru my wife wanted built and shipped to the US. Today we picked it up and traded in the rust bucket. She loves it

Now I am still looking for a new truck which is another story. I had a deposit on anew Tundra but started seeing so many problems with the new generation online that I got that back. Would have been full MSRP and a 9 month wait with the people in line in front of me plus 68 k for a truck and you may not get the color or options you ordered. They just make what they have parts for and you have the choice to refuse it after waiting 9 months. Looking at going back to a Ford now but it could take a year to get what I really want. I want a V8 and they are becoming dinosaurs. looked at Ridgelines and can get one so may pick one up to hold me over. It's a terrible time to to buy new trucks even with gas prices rising.

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2022, 07:15:51 PM »
i know someone that bought a 20 last year with the 5.3 he is claiming 20 tp 24 mpg seems a bit high

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 5.3. I can get 21 actual mpg driving 60. Pulling a 3,000 lb trailer it drops to 17, pulling 7,000 lbs it drops to 12-13. Its got the 3.43 rear I think so its not a banshee offf the line towing.

Also have an 02 Silverado 4x4 5.3L. 17.5 is the best it will do.

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
They use a neutralizing chemical that's supposed to eliminate the rust for good but I have my doubts and there is no corrosion warranty after 36 months.

I wonder if they gonna spray it with Ospho?

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2022, 10:29:14 PM »
Toyota brought my 2011 Tacoma in for that frame inspection this fall.  Even though they found no rust issue (I seen the inspection video) they still cleaned, wax filled, and plugged all the boxed frame areas, no charge to me.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2022, 08:28:30 AM »
Toyota brought my 2011 Tacoma in for that frame inspection this fall.  Even though they found no rust issue (I seen the inspection video) they still cleaned, wax filled, and plugged all the boxed frame areas, no charge to me.  :)
That's the difference  between  Toyota and GM. Toyota stepped up and has taken care of customers with  problems they had with a vendor part. GM is trying to hide this and refusing to apply TSBs for a known problem they caused cost cutting back in 2011 and it still exists today. I made a big mistake switching from Ford to GM  trucks and should have done  more homework because it's a common problem  for GM vehicles. They used to fix them but now just blow off the customers saying their frames are made to self destruct in a couple years so just plan on replacing their trucks often. The 6.2 in it was getting a start up ticking at 6k miles so I am guessing it was starting the lifter problem also.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »
The Chevy frame rot goes all the way back to 88, first year after the "square body" trucks.
Gen 2 Dodge Dakota's have the same issues.

A friend just parted out a beat 99 Chevy half ton ext cab. The frame broke on the hoist, when he set it down, the top of the box was pushing against the cab.
Newest I've seen break is an 02, 2wd regular cab. Low mile truck that lived outside its whole life.

Ed
Frame/cab supports being rusted out goes far back, well beyond the 1980's! Very true for GM trucks and made a few old trucks a tough fix as they became unsafe to use or restore. Restoration parts do exist for them but not a panacea. Extends to other brands  too.
 Very large subject here really. I've done enough use and repair to know it kills some old trucks.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2022, 02:32:20 PM »
Mufflers and frames are the same, the more you drive them, the longer they last. Don't park on the grass, the rising moisture activates the salt you picked up in winter or late spring. Rust likes heat. If you drive on salted roads don't ever park in a heated garage, leave it in the cold. Heavy spring rains need to be driven in to wash the bottom of sand, salt and mud, then park on pavement or gravel. Low milage and garage kept have little to do with the underneath of a vehicle.

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2022, 03:19:46 PM »
I have 12 year warranty on the frame of my 2014 Tacoma. 8) They did an inspection on it this year and did a fresh undercoating, no charge. It's not drove much in winter. Most miles is warm weather and salt free.
My '05 Tacoma failed inspection 2 years ago due to frame rust.  Toyota replaced the frame at no charge.  It took a month, but was worth the price (free).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2022, 04:35:37 PM »
Mufflers and frames are the same, the more you drive them, the longer they last. Don't park on the grass, the rising moisture activates the salt you picked up in winter or late spring. Rust likes heat. If you drive on salted roads don't ever park in a heated garage, leave it in the cold. Heavy spring rains need to be driven in to wash the bottom of sand, salt and mud, then park on pavement or gravel. Low milage and garage kept have little to do with the underneath of a vehicle.

If that was true all 7 of my previous Fords would have had issues like this. Last 05 F350 this replaced was still in good condition at 13 years of the exact same mileage per year and conditions. Had less rust then this had at a little  over 2 years. My wife's 2010 Focus is still good. Chevys rot from behind the  frame coating pushing it off, Fords don't. The last 7 new Fords I bought prove that to me.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2022, 08:29:51 PM »
It is very true. I did auto body work for 33 years and have seen and worked on rusted cars. The people who commute to the city have the highest milage and the least rust on their cars.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »

If that was true all 7 of my previous Fords would have had issues like this. Last 05 F350 this replaced was still in good condition at 13 years of the exact same mileage per year and conditions. Had less rust then this had at a little  over 2 years. My wife's 2010 Focus is still good. Chevys rot from behind the  frame coating pushing it off, Fords don't. The last 7 new Fords I bought prove that to me.
I was not referring to your Chevy at all, just making a statement that in general is true. Some how your truck got an early start with rust that is trapped, like powder coat does to rust.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2022, 08:21:11 AM »
i deal with more rust than most with plow sand trucks. my 04 f550 finally need a patch on the frame where the salt sand comes off the bed chain. this truck has sanded roads since it was new. every fall and spring i spray the frame and under cab and body with hydraulic oil. fulid flim works but cost more. and do not wash it till winter is over. i pull the floor mat up coat that the door drains the plastic cover where you open the door pull that and coat it. pull the plastic behind the seat and spray the inside of the cab corners. if you are in snow country and do nothing to preserve it rust will get it. if calcium is used on the roads the car wash will not get it all and the water reactivates it same as parking it in a warm garage. when winter is over drive it in every rain storm there is and drive through every bit of standing water you can find 

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
My 2004 Chrysler 300M has 240K on it and still has the original exhaust.  My 2000 Dakota Pickup which has 150K sat more over the years and I have replaced the tail pipe twice and the muffler once.

The real problem with the Dakotas is the brake lines rust out bad(accident one time) and the frame rusts away at the bed joint.  Dodge made a two piece frame so they could put different cab/bed configurations on the truck and they bolted on different frame components in the rear.  The State Inspector told me not to bring it in again without fixing the frame, so I have to take the bed off, remove the gas tank and weld it up.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tree Rotting Out ?

Started by sr73087 on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 08:41:13 AM
by stumpmakerr
xx
Tree rotting at base, cut it down?

Started by sr73087 on Urban and Community Forestry

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 02:54:19 PM
by Engineer
xx
Rotting tree, dulling chain?

Started by bendjoseph on Chainsaws