iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beware of rotting frames on 2011 to 2021 Chevy Silverados

Started by 21incher, September 23, 2021, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Mufflers and frames are the same, the more you drive them, the longer they last. Don't park on the grass, the rising moisture activates the salt you picked up in winter or late spring. Rust likes heat. If you drive on salted roads don't ever park in a heated garage, leave it in the cold. Heavy spring rains need to be driven in to wash the bottom of sand, salt and mud, then park on pavement or gravel. Low milage and garage kept have little to do with the underneath of a vehicle.

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 23, 2021, 04:17:50 PM
I have 12 year warranty on the frame of my 2014 Tacoma. 8) They did an inspection on it this year and did a fresh undercoating, no charge. It's not drove much in winter. Most miles is warm weather and salt free.
My '05 Tacoma failed inspection 2 years ago due to frame rust.  Toyota replaced the frame at no charge.  It took a month, but was worth the price (free).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

21incher

Quote from: moodnacreek on March 12, 2022, 02:32:20 PM
Mufflers and frames are the same, the more you drive them, the longer they last. Don't park on the grass, the rising moisture activates the salt you picked up in winter or late spring. Rust likes heat. If you drive on salted roads don't ever park in a heated garage, leave it in the cold. Heavy spring rains need to be driven in to wash the bottom of sand, salt and mud, then park on pavement or gravel. Low milage and garage kept have little to do with the underneath of a vehicle.

If that was true all 7 of my previous Fords would have had issues like this. Last 05 F350 this replaced was still in good condition at 13 years of the exact same mileage per year and conditions. Had less rust then this had at a little  over 2 years. My wife's 2010 Focus is still good. Chevys rot from behind the  frame coating pushing it off, Fords don't. The last 7 new Fords I bought prove that to me.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

moodnacreek

It is very true. I did auto body work for 33 years and have seen and worked on rusted cars. The people who commute to the city have the highest milage and the least rust on their cars.

moodnacreek

Quote from: 21incher on March 12, 2022, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on March 12, 2022, 02:32:20 PM

If that was true all 7 of my previous Fords would have had issues like this. Last 05 F350 this replaced was still in good condition at 13 years of the exact same mileage per year and conditions. Had less rust then this had at a little  over 2 years. My wife's 2010 Focus is still good. Chevys rot from behind the  frame coating pushing it off, Fords don't. The last 7 new Fords I bought prove that to me.
I was not referring to your Chevy at all, just making a statement that in general is true. Some how your truck got an early start with rust that is trapped, like powder coat does to rust.

snowstorm

i deal with more rust than most with plow sand trucks. my 04 f550 finally need a patch on the frame where the salt sand comes off the bed chain. this truck has sanded roads since it was new. every fall and spring i spray the frame and under cab and body with hydraulic oil. fulid flim works but cost more. and do not wash it till winter is over. i pull the floor mat up coat that the door drains the plastic cover where you open the door pull that and coat it. pull the plastic behind the seat and spray the inside of the cab corners. if you are in snow country and do nothing to preserve it rust will get it. if calcium is used on the roads the car wash will not get it all and the water reactivates it same as parking it in a warm garage. when winter is over drive it in every rain storm there is and drive through every bit of standing water you can find 

rusticretreater

My 2004 Chrysler 300M has 240K on it and still has the original exhaust.  My 2000 Dakota Pickup which has 150K sat more over the years and I have replaced the tail pipe twice and the muffler once.

The real problem with the Dakotas is the brake lines rust out bad(accident one time) and the frame rusts away at the bed joint.  Dodge made a two piece frame so they could put different cab/bed configurations on the truck and they bolted on different frame components in the rear.  The State Inspector told me not to bring it in again without fixing the frame, so I have to take the bed off, remove the gas tank and weld it up.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

21incher

Well the new truck finally showed up at the dealers Thursday and it's home today. Had to wait for the trailer brake controller to be installed. What a joy to drive and has a 7500 pound tow rating. I will soon find out how well a tiny 4 cylinder tows. I can't believe how cheap the insurance is on this compared to the 1500. Exactly 6 months from the day it was ordered with 8-1 week delays waiting for a truck to deliver it.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

I know I've watched a LOT of your videos now. I just read that, and I could actually hear you narrating it in my head!  8) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

Quote from: 21incher on June 11, 2022, 05:52:41 PM
Well the new truck finally showed up at the dealers Thursday and it's home today. Had to wait for the trailer brake controller to be installed. What a joy to drive and has a 7500 pound tow rating. I will soon find out how well a tiny 4 cylinder tows. I can't believe how cheap the insurance is on this compared to the 1500. Exactly 6 months from the day it was ordered with 8-1 week delays waiting for a truck to deliver it.

I have a customer with the Ranger and pulls a dump trailer when he picks up his orders .
I asked him about towing with it.
He said it pulls like a dream. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Quote from: Jeff on June 11, 2022, 06:46:22 PM
I know I've watched a LOT of your videos now. I just read that, and I could actually hear you narrating it in my head!  8) :D
Unlike  your videos  that are exciting and I never know  what's coming next,. 8)

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 12, 2022, 05:39:24 AM
Quote from: 21incher on June 11, 2022, 05:52:41 PM

I have a customer with the Ranger and pulls a dump trailer when he picks up his orders .
I asked him about towing with it.
He said it pulls like a dream.
That's what I  have also. I plan on pulling my 6 x 10 dump trailer. Just will have to watch what I put in it. Always  had a V8 truck before but this little  2.3 engine  really  comes alive when the turbo kicks in. It has the 10 speed transmission from the F150 so it should be strong enough. It has almost 1500 pounds carrying capacity that is more than the Silverado had. 

Bruno of NH

My customer leaves with a big load every time and lives in the White Mountains. 
He's very impressed with the truck
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Every GM I have had except the 4.3 v6 has ticked (1) 8.1 , (2) 6.0 , (1) 5.3 and 4.8 it's annoying. 
5.3 has 2,030.00 hard miles on it and is rusted like a champ.

Cornerstone

What a terrible experience that was 21incher... wow. I sure hope your new vehicles last you a long time without incident. I guess most of these frame issues and general rust problems are primarily due to the way the northern states handle the icy conditions. I remember when I lived in Connecticut (30 years ago) it was common to see full quarter panels missing as well as being able to see the road through the floor boards. Since I've been in Texas I've not seen it at all, unless it was a car that was moved from the north. I generally drive Chevy's and all the V8' do tick as mentioned above, but now that I need a heavier duty 1 ton truck I'm thinking to go with a Ford Diesel. It'll be the first daily driver I've had that's a diesel. Not sure how I feel about that yet!
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

21incher

Quote from: Cornerstone on June 12, 2022, 09:27:14 PM
What a terrible experience that was 21incher... wow. I sure hope your new vehicles last you a long time without incident. I guess most of these frame issues and general rust problems are primarily due to the way the northern states handle the icy conditions. I remember when I lived in Connecticut (30 years ago) it was common to see full quarter panels missing as well as being able to see the road through the floor boards. Since I've been in Texas I've not seen it at all, unless it was a car that was moved from the north. I generally drive Chevy's and all the V8' do tick as mentioned above, but now that I need a heavier duty 1 ton truck I'm thinking to go with a Ford Diesel. It'll be the first daily driver I've had that's a diesel. Not sure how I feel about that yet!
It's a known problem with a TSB out and they rot from under the wax coating. There  are videos showing the cross members rotted away on 3 year old trucks.  My previous F350 was 13 years  old in the same conditions and still in good shape underneath. Toyota had the same problem and replaced the frame on many of their trucks made with the Dana frames. The Ranger frame looks to have an epoxy  type coating and hopefully  it stands up as well as my previous  Fords. That 6.2 was developing a tick when first started and I see they are replacing  lifters on many of them now. Up here the farmers all seem to be going with super duties with gas lately. Good luck finding one as they stopped taking g orders for them several weeks ago.

Thank You Sponsors!