The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Wonít Be Sawing For A While  (Read 3004 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Wonít Be Sawing For A While
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »
My knee pain experience is much like Yellowhammer (for me). 
Several years back, knee pain mentioned to my Dr. brought the comment "we can replace the knee anytime you want".  Three years ago, the Orthopedics clinic started some "joint seminars" where the joint surgeries were presented by four Dr.s.
Key for me was they talked about movement/exercise. I discovered the stair exercises that helped the knee pain. But sleeping at night the pain kept me awake. Tried foam pads, etc. and didn't want to take Advil more than one a day. 

Had tightness in the upper leg muscle and experimented with a random orbital sander as a vibrator.  That was over a year ago, and may (or may not) be why I do not have any major pain in my knees. Still bone on bone. 

First consulting visit to the Ortho Doc in July with X-rays resulted in a scheduled right knee replacement Dec. 1. Pre-surgery visit 2 weeks ago and was asked how the pain was in each knee. Said I really don't have pain, just some stiffness after setting. Both the Dr. and PAC asked me why I was going for a replacement. Answered that I thought I understood that was the only option to "bone on bone" so planned it after deer hunting season. 

Then I heard the explanation that in a study of knee replacements, 19% had pain after the surgery. So it wasn't a cure-all for knee pain. 
The Dec. 1 joint replacement surgery was cancelled. 
I continue to use the orbital sander to massage both knees while sitting in the area just above the knee cap for about 10-15 seconds every night. Remove the sand paper.. :D
Works for me, 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
I've heard it said the only difference in a terrorist and a physical therapist is you can shoot the terrorist!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »
It also sounds like your physician knows his stuff, so that's a good part of the battle also, as they are willing to work with you.

I've had some excellent Physical Therapists, and some not good ones.  The better ones will make adjustments to my exercises to limit pain.  This is what I said about the "cookie cutter PT" places.  As my Physician told me, pain in rehab serves no purpose.  In contrast, it causes harm as it generates inflammation, which causes an auto immune response from the body, which causes more inflammation and increases recovery time, swollen muscles, aggravated nerves, etc.  Proper rehab is just opposite, it triggers endorphins that make you feel better, reduces swelling, increasers alignment, etc.  There is a big deference between the PT companies and practices that do it.  I will not go to a PT facility unless it is non hospital affiliated (independent) and has at least one PT trained physician on site at all times.  Most of the hospital affiliated PT facilities are used as training for fresh PT graduates.  Not acceptable to me.  All physicians will direct their PT prescription to whichever facility is chosen, whether hospital affiliated or not, and they will do their best to increase healing and decrease pain.

I'm not dogging any body's PT experiences, but I am just stating my own.  I have gone through proper and improper PT for several things, and the differences in approach and result for the same conditions is amazing between different facilities.

Also, prior to joint surgery, I requested pre op physical therapy to get a jump start on muscle flexibility and strength.  So post surgery PT went extremely well.  I knew the exercises, my body knew the exercises, and the trauma was reduced during surgery, especially when the surgeon does full range of motion trials.  So I would highly recommend it.  Its also one reason I keep up on my exercises, whether I do it in formal PT of at my house.  It decreases knee pain, sure, but it also prepares me for surgery with the best chance of a successful outcome as possible.

My Mom has had to knee replacement.  First was not good, she ignored PT, didn't put her heart into it.  The second one, she knew better, did pre surgery PT, then faithfully did her post surgery PT and the second knee replacement healed in well less than half the time and she was mobile very quickly.  Same surgeon, different knee, different outcome.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2021, 02:07:16 PM »
Again I am very thankful for the kind words, messages and the varied experiences you all have shared.

The surgeon is expecting much improvement. The deed is done.  I had carrot cake therapy at lunch. Doctor said donít do much until PT says I can.  

I feel pretty good right now

Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
Wishing you a speedy and painless recovery!  8)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »
That cake looks good.  Glad it worked out.  Youíll be back at it in no time.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
Youíll be back at it in no time.  
What, eating carrot cake?   :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2021, 06:25:49 PM »
Yep, sometimes ya just gotta flop on the couch, TV remote in one hand and a plate of cake or chips in the other. 
YellowHammerisms:

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2021, 07:06:12 PM »
In moderation of course. ;)  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2021, 08:40:12 PM »
The neighborhood has been making sure Michelle doesn't starve from my cooking while recovering from the hip job. I had to have 3 desserts but I think we're close to caught back up  :D. Only hitch is I've got a DOT physical coming up  :'(
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
Hope sheís doing okay.  Of course sheís been through a much more involved procedure.  Hope she recovers quickly and completely!  And the physical goes like you want it!
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »
If carrot cake is good, then they supplied you with the very best drugs.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2021, 05:03:00 AM »
Self medicated with the carrot cake. I had to order it when we stopped for lunch on the way home. 

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:54 AM »
Good Luck on your recovery . . follow Doctors orders 
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Very best to you Ted and Don's wife Michelle.  I hope healing is quick and PT not terrible.   I hope this day after finds you healing with no or little discomfort.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2021, 09:57:58 AM »
Ok, I feel like Iím doing pretty well on recovery.  

Today Iím up, showered and dressed.  Very little pain but still swollen.  What pain I have is controlled with OTC meds. No need for crutches or cane and can bend to past 90į without pain. I believe swelling is preventing more range.

It hurts less now than before surgery.  Iíd call that a step in the right direction.   Will know more about sawing on Friday.  I donít expect to be back to sawing until December. 

Online sawmilllawyer

• Ride hard, die free.
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2021, 11:27:42 PM »
Good for you, Sawyer-Ted, I injured my right knee in a motorcycle mishap, had knee surgery a couple of years later. While in recovery, Nurse asked me if my knee hurt I said no because it was the first time in years that I was'nt in pain. Used the crutches and followed Docs orders, took it slow and had a good rehab.I think you are wise to not rush into working at the sawmill full time.  Let it heal, the work is'nt going anywhere it will still be there when you heal up.  Best of everything
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
This is great news!  Don't rush into something and over do it.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
For those who may be interested, the physical therapist gave me three main exercises after an assessment a week ago Friday.  She said I was doing amazingly well for just over a week after surgery.  She gave me the option to decide if I want to come back.  I told her I would do the exercises for a week and decide.  I am not going back - exercises are FREE, PT visits no so much $$.

The Dr. took the stitches out last Monday and was pretty shocked to see my range of motion and minimal pain and swelling.  She said she didn't believe the PT report at first until she saw my progress for herself.  She was quite clear that I needed to wait until the surgeon releases me before I do anything besides the PT exercises and "light duty."  I'll see the surgeon in early December.

So I am walking normally most of the time.  No limp generally.  Walking on uneven surfaces is not good, like across my gravel shop driveway.  Going up stairs is no problem, going down I do feel a little tweak of pain.  Swelling is minimal and more in the late afternoon.

All in all, today my knee is significantly better than prior to surgery.  I'd count that as a success at two and half weeks after surgery.  

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »
"light duty." 
SawyerTed:
Light duty: You need to start with one 8" log x 8'long to get your sawdust fix and your body reacclaimated.
Just one a day until you get that release.
I'd hate to hear you suffered from a sawdust fix withdrawal, that would be bad.
Wishing you the best.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sawing black walnut log and post-sawing refreshment, Kickapoo style.

Started by whitepe on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 02:19:39 PM
by Magicman
xx
comparing thin kerf sawing to circle saw sawing

Started by postville on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 08:40:49 PM
by northwoods1
xx
Sawing 60" wide In GA New sawing pic

Started by GAmillworker on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 10:25:09 AM
by GAmillworker
xx
Split taper sawing vs. full taper sawing???

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 07:00:07 AM
by scsmith42