iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel or Soap Water

Started by pezrock, October 08, 2021, 01:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

Quote from: KWood255 on October 17, 2021, 07:18:59 AM
I have a WM LT35, with the standard gravity fed lube tank. I would like to try diesel, but I doubt I can regulate it properly with the water jug lube system. It seems to be very inconsistent. Any recommendations on an upgrade?
I added the drip valve that I purchased from cooks on my LT 35.  works great..  just replaced the clear line from the water jug to a rubber fuel line from napa and I love it.  1 drip per second when I mill fresh cut white pine full of sap and the band stays clean..  sometimes I run it with hemlock, sometimes I cut it dry. 
I just added lazer to my LT 35 also to speed up my first cut on logs with some taper and to resaw my first few cut offs that I can turn into usable lumber.  lazer is sweet!  

WV Sawmiller

Durf,

Not meaning to change the direction of this thread but the laser interests me. Do you saw indoors or out? I heard outside they are hard to see. Do you see the full length of the log or just the start? I'd be more interested in seeing where the blade will be exiting the end rather than starting which is not a big problem for me. Was it a factory/WM laser or an engineered special?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Durf700

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 17, 2021, 11:57:25 AM
Durf,

Not meaning to change the direction of this thread but the laser interests me. Do you saw indoors or out? I heard outside they are hard to see. Do you see the full length of the log or just the start? I'd be more interested in seeing where the blade will be exiting the end rather than starting which is not a big problem for me. Was it a factory/WM laser or an engineered special?
I mill inside my building. the laser I purchased is exactly the same as what I saw on youtube channel "sawing with sandy".  he installed laser on his woodland mills sawmill about a month ago.  he has all the links in the video description.  I mounted my laser right by the sawdust shoot on my LT 35 along with the on off switch. my band wheel door can open without hitting the laser where I mounted it.  I can see the laser around half my pole barn I mill in! it should pay for its self on 1 load of logs by getting an extra board or 2 since I can now see exactly where my blade will be cutting at the far end of the log.  I can quickly raise up a toe board and know where I will end up at the far end.  the cut offs are much easier to re saw now as well and know on the 1st cut where you will be at the far end.
not sure how great they will work outside in the sun but I am very happy with my set up in my building. 

KenMac

Green lasers are much more visible in sunlight and are readily available also.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the response.

It would take me a while to get used to sighting down that side of the mill as I have always been used to checking with the debarker and blade height on the right-hand side. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

I use Dawn/water cutting hardwood.  What are you cutting?  Maybe Diesel works better for pine pitch?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jb616

I use Simple Green for hardwood and Pine Sol for Pine. I still get a little pitch from the pine, maybe I need to up the concentrate a little? 

pezrock

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 18, 2021, 12:35:53 AM
I use Dawn/water cutting hardwood.  What are you cutting?  Maybe Diesel works better for pine pitch?
I was using Dawn/water. Now I have the diesel dripping about 1 drip every 3 seconds. Blade is clean and everything is running great. So far I am happy. Time will tell as far as drive belt, feed hose and anything else that it makes contact with. So far, I noticed that the sawdust build-up on the blade guides is less since the switch. I am really liking it. Wish I switched earlier. 

Crossroads

After 3 years, the clear hose has gotten hard, but it still functioning. I did replace my lube tank at around 1100 hours, the cap stretched and would come off the threads. Not 100% sure that had anything to do with the diesel or not, but that's what I blamed it on. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Mlanier

I really think it just depends on where you are and what you're sawing.
If you're up north and the pitchy-est wood you saw is white pine then water and dawn will probably do you just fine.
If you're in the Deep South and saw a bunch of SYP then you've got to use a diesel drip. 
Water and dawn, or pinesol, just won't cut the pitch from SYP

TimW

Quote from: Mlanier on October 20, 2021, 06:49:47 AM
I really think it just depends on where you are and what you're sawing.
If you're up north and the pitchy-est wood you saw is white pine then water and dawn will probably do you just fine.
If you're in the Deep South and saw a bunch of SYP then you've got to use a diesel drip.
Water and dawn, or pinesol, just won't cut the pitch from SYP
I saw almost entirely SYP.  I use dawn and water and when the blade sound changes from sap buildup, I open my valve and flood the blade.  When the sap disappears, the sound quiets down, then I close the valve back to drip.  

Before I change blades, I open the valve up and clean the blade of sap.  Dawn and water works.  Sounds like you are not using enough.
I can't wait until I get my Lubemizer kit installed.  Then I won't have to manually adjust that darn valve again.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Mlanier

Hey Brandi!

I tried every amount of water with dawn that you can think of, would just let the blade run and just dump the water on it but nothing works as well as a diesel drip.
All I need is about one drop every couple of seconds and there's no pitch build up on the blades or guides, the saw runs so much quieter, and I'm getting more life out of my blades.
I really didn't want to put a diesel drip on my mill and talked myself out of it more times than I can count, but since I put it on I'll never again saw pine without it.
I still use the water and dawn for hardwoods like oak or hickory, but if I'm sawing pine (which is what we saw 80% of the time) the diesel tank goes right back on the mill.

Tristen

Quote from: KWood255 on October 17, 2021, 07:18:59 AM
I have a WM LT35, with the standard gravity fed lube tank. I would like to try diesel, but I doubt I can regulate it properly with the water jug lube system. It seems to be very inconsistent. Any recommendations on an upgrade?
You are correct you can not regulate it properly with the standard valve from wood mizer.   you need a Sight Feed Needle Valve, Brass put it in the middle of your old water line and fill the tank with straight diesel.  I use one drip every 2-3 seconds on hard wood.  If i am sawing pine with a lot of sap i will turn it up to one drip every second.   
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Tristen

If we are taking a vote i would vote diesel.   Everyone has already talked about how well it cleans and cools the blade, but another benefit of diesel is it makes the daily mill clean up very easy.    When i ran water there was always big globs of wet sawdust, almost like mud, every where on the roller guide, the blade belts and the sawdust shoot.  With one drop of diesel every 2 seconds there is only DRY sawdust coming off the log so the clean up is real easy.  
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

Thank You Sponsors!