iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deep forest portable sawmill ideas???

Started by Rgdsolution, October 23, 2021, 02:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rgdsolution

I guess deep forest isn't truly accurate but best illustrates the question. I searched for posts on this but none specify how portable they are especially if cutting 20' +\- logs. I want to mill my logs for a couple timber frame builds without relying on heavy equipment to move the logs. Right now I'm using an Alaskan sawmill and although it works and I can get just about anywhere, the time it is taking is wearing on me and I'm considering other options. I basically want to use my atv and trailer to get the mill out their then carry it into a bush over a felled tree and cut it up and haul it out?? I'm only using it on these two projects and as a hobby so I don't want to spend crazy. It seems the Lucas 10-30 is the way to go for price and portability but haven't seen it in person yet and would just love to get some more advice or ideas on the subject. The Peterson is great but expensive and the band saw styles are usually one piece and less portable at least from what I've seen. Any thoughts??
Rgdsolution

longtime lurker

You're on the right track with a Lucas Mill. I had one, put enough log through it for a couple years to keep the bills paid... very well built piece of equipment, the best backup service of any company I've ever dealt with ever (that's the parent company I don't know about other dealers), and exceptionally good value for money.

I don't know how many hours mine had on it when I sold it - best guess 8000 or so hours but 12k wouldn't surprise me - and it was still working fine when I sold it.

It's not the most portable of portable sawmills but unless you're carrying it up a jungle clad mountain on your shoulders and heli-lifting out the sawn it's portable enough, certainly work well with an ATV, tractor or pickup. That's the thing right - you have to get the sawn product out - and anything more portable than your 20' beams becomes moot. But setting up over the log on uneven ground close to the stump is what swingmills were designed for.

I've moved on from the Lucas Mill, but it got me along the road to something far more productive. I would never hesitate to recommend their product.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

scsmith42

You definitely want a swing blade mill for the situation that you listed.

Personally I prefer the Peterson because It's easier to double cut with versus a Lucas.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

maple flats

I used a Peterson for 17 years. I started lift as an ATS (all terrain saw), I later converted it to a WPF, (winch production frame.) The ATS is likely more suited for your needs and the price is lower. Mine was a 20HP 8" cut. A single cut could do an 8x8, a double cut did up to 8x16. Mine did logs up to 20', track additions are available if needed.
The Peterson is a great saw.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

richhiway

get a logosol and a  two big saws with proper ripping chains. I used one to break down the log and one to cut the boards. Saved a lot of time changing chains.

Ultra portable and for cutting timbers you can't beat it.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Nomad

I'm a big fan of the Lucas.  Unless you need a 10" cut I'd recommend the 8" mill.  It's a fine, well designed, well built, simple piece of machinery.  Easy to assemble.  Easy to maintain and adjust. The slabbing option adds considerable versatility, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

mike_belben

You know whats a heck of a lot more portable?  A couple broad axes. 

Once upon a time a good tie hack with a chalk string could probably outproduce an alaskan.  Amazon bush loggers still make great freehanded chainsaw timbers using just the tip of a long bar so it cant steer around in the kerf.  I was with you until you said 20 feet.  My alaskan grew into a lightweight framed track cutter that makes great square lumber using a chainsaw and is very light but it still needs to be leveled and the log rolled ontop.  20' is too much for one guy to roll with a peavey
Praise The Lord

Erik A

I don't know much about swing blades, but I am partial to the turbo saws. I am looking for an 8" saw because of the production compared to the weight of the saw. One rail over head should be easier to set than two rails on the ground out in nature?

Get one and cut up your timbers, then call me, so I can buy the saw when you are done!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: mike_belben on October 25, 2021, 09:08:22 AM
You know whats a heck of a lot more portable?  A couple broad axes.

Once upon a time a good tie hack with a chalk string could probably outproduce an alaskan.  Amazon bush loggers still make great freehanded chainsaw timbers using just the tip of a long bar so it cant steer around in the kerf.  I was with you until you said 20 feet.  My alaskan grew into a lightweight framed track cutter that makes great square lumber using a chainsaw and is very light but it still needs to be leveled and the log rolled ontop.  20' is too much for one guy to roll with a peavey
Agree. Having owned a Peterson i'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of a swing mill being considered a portable alternative to the chainsaw mill for going off into the woods. Perhaps under the right circumstances but it takes a fair amount of open space to set up one of these and it is not the 15 minute exercise that seems to be often quoted as such. Good idea to make sure that the understanding is there about the set up, breakdown, transportation and storage of one of these mills.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Greenhighlander

I have a Jobber J100 running a 395 xp .  It is much much faster then the Alaskan style and saves your back. I can mill the logs right where they fall and it is quite portable just breaking it down into two pieces. Even more so broken down into 4 . 

There was quite a learning curve because I had a hard time finding information on it and the manual that came with it left a lot to be desired . But it is well built and works great.  

Good luck with your search 

barbender

I can't see how you will do better than a CSM for being portable and making beams. 
Too many irons in the fire

Joe Hillmann

I don't have experience with a swing mill out in the woods so maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.  When I played with one we set up bunks under the saw and rolled the logs on to the bunks to cut it.  That worked quite well and was pretty fast.  I would think if you plan to set it up in the woods over the log you need to clear the area and level the mill for each log.  That seems like a lot of work each time. 

My thought is, if you can get a four wheeler and trailer in and the finished beams out, you can probably get the logs out with a log arch or a trailer with a long tongue.  Once you have the logs out you can do the cutting with any type of mill(or hire a mill if it is cheaper than buying and you  only intend to do this project with it)

Also if you can get a 4 wheeler and trailer in you can probably get a 4 wheeler pulling a band saw in as well.  I am not sure on the price of a swing mill, but I think you can buy an entry level band saw with a trailer kit and a couple extensions for about half the price of the mill you are looking at.

I spent all winter milling up a cabin.  My long logs were 34 feet.  I got them out of the woods with a 2wd 18 hp tractor(similar size to a medium 4 wheeler) and loaded them and rolled them on the mill with come-a-longs and cant hooks.

That also depends on the diameter of your logs.  An entry level mill can't cut much bigger than 24 inches and around 18 inches is probably the sweet spot of most production/difficulty of handling.  And if you are getting into huge diameter logs then a swing mill is a very good option.

I am not trying to talk you out of buying a swing mill, I am just giving you something to think about.

Erik A

One thing, the swing mill would spit out 1x or 2x while getting down to the timbers! 

Also, my L35 wont always lift a 24" x 16' pine log, you have to drag it to the mill and set each end. So if you are doing 20' I understand the appeal of leaving some of the weight right where it landed!

mike_belben

Trying to get edged lumber from an alaskan is hell.  

They make some sense in live edge slab and in 4 wack timbers, but thats about it imo.  Id build a roundwood frame or log cabin or cordwood cabin before i tried to make framing lumber with an alaskan. The first boards will rot by the time you start on the last ones, and your body will be shot. 
Praise The Lord

Rgdsolution

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll tell ya I hadn't researched the pricing much and we'll though I'm sure it can be worth it the Lucas mill costs a heck of a lot more than some bandsaw options but I still love the idea of it though I too worry how much surrounding trees I'll be chopping to clear space for it out their. I consider trying to move the logs out and maybe I've just gotta be more creative, I've got an odd shaped trailer dedicated for it I just haven't had time to set it up to see the size logs I can move. I won't pull the trigger soon on a mill but I think it's inevitable at some point. I've looked at the logisol but I just don't see how it'll save much time and like you said rolling and yanking around any 20' log is asking a lot with an Atv and one person even if it's a little ways onto a trail to mill. I'm gonna set that trailer up just to see what's possible. I've already milled an entire 1 1/4" 16x20 floor with the Alaskan as well as a bunch of extra wood so it's plenty capable but I might have grown a grey hair or two in the process only two ripping chains though believe it or not. Thanks for the info I'm gonna try my trailer and see if I can even move some of these logs then I'll start considering if I have many options in keeping it simple.
Rgdsolution

Thank You Sponsors!