iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade circle mill sharpener

Started by glendaler, October 12, 2021, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendaler

Thought I'd share my latest project. I've always been terrible at making things straight or square by eye so I wanted a jig to sharpen the bits on my Belsaw. I looked at all the commercially available ones but some are quite expensive, and with the current global situation, not likely to arrive. I headed to the scrap pile and got to work. I liked the idea of the dexter file guide but figured it was exessively adjustable and I only have one blade to deal with so mine got all welded up once the angles were proper. I also went with plastic on the backside of the file against plain old bolts rather than ball bearings or hardened rollers. Anyway, been seeing a few circle mills showing up here lately I thought someone might find it interesting. 

Belsaw A10 circle mill,

moodnacreek

The Dexter saw guide is a refined version of your jig. It is adjustable for any mill saw. The file is not attached as it is held in the other hand and it is dropped in between the pins. To bad you are far away as I have a collection of saw filers and grinders of wish 2 are Dexter's. They work good and are still made.

BUGGUTZ

That's a cool setup, well done. I was lucky to get an Andrus sharpener from a friend on the cheap. After he saw my file job he said I needed it.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!