The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: heating oil delivery  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: heating oil delivery
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
The young can't think anymore. 
FedEx dropped a box of new bands Friday night while raining. Under the eaves of the shed , right in front of the opening . You can't make this stuff up.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »
A man I worked with had lost his right leg at the hip in a logging accident the next valley over from where we were working while spooling the lines on a grapple yarder. He got pulled in and went around the drum and there is really no room for a person. He was around 50 years old then and recovery was slow.
Around 10 years later he came and ran our hydraulic log loader. He got out of the truck every morning with his lunch and his crutches, set everything on the track and swung himself up onto the track then crawled to the ladder and up onto the deck then up a couple of stairs into the cab and loaded trucks and swung logs all day. He could have stayed at home and collected comp the rest of his life but enjoyed logging.

On the other end of the spectrum a guy I went to school with never really liked working at at all and ended up working for his BIL who owned a bulk plant driving fuel deliveries. I was in my early 20's then and had a mobile equipment steam cleaning business during winter when the logging was shut down for snow. I got a call one day to meet the owner of a tug boat down at the harbour. It seemed our friend had gone down to fill the tug with diesel and a day or two later when the tug was under way down the sound with a boom of logs they were in the habit of boiling up some water for tea. Well when they turned on the water tap ,diesel came out. They wondered if I could flush it and the answer was sorry, no.
He managed to keep his delivery job but lost it a short while later when he forgot to reel in the fuel hose and drove down the highway and through town with the hose and nozzle skipping along behind.

Uffda! :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »
Or another high light.
I have a 50# bag of grain on my shoulder and they open the truck and say, Oh wait, I have to move the groceries.
I wait by the door and make sure they are all ready. But some customers will say, all set, and than they look in the truck and start moving groceries. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
I got the freezer moved. Had to use a 4 foot extension cord.... doesn't everyone carry one of those ??? Darn useful in my life  :D

Now the mini driver can use his own darn ladder if they get here before I get a promise from a new company.

Found a fill cap behind the freezer !

Decided I would just build a shelf and keep a 12 volt battery out there so I could use a fuel pump to transfer the oil. I have a bunch of electric pumps from my snowcat rescue days and still have to use one to fill my unregistered plow truck cause the fill line is Not slanted and you can't pour it in cause it's under the flatbed too far .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 04:30:04 PM »
I called the company that delivers propane to this house and my old house ( now sold but had them 40 years...) They said they needed to see the oil tank. That's fine. Someone would call to make an appointment for this afternoon. They didn't. I called at 1. Next story is he would be here between 12 and 4. That didn't happen either. Since I was home all day dusting the tank and cleaning up my garage, I know the first company hasn't been here either.

I had called 2 other oil companies. One doesn't deliver out this way and the other isn't taking new customers. Have 2 more companies to call tomorrow ::) Then I'll just buy a couple more cords of wood and hope that lots of it is ash. I do have a large ash tree to take down but it has a lot of rot.

Was outside looking around and a tree had fallen on the electric line. Only about 4" diameter where it lay on the line. Broken 10 feet up. Got that down without much excitement.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »
Spruce bunny, What ever happened to your state motto?

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 07:04:23 PM »
Live free or die ? It's still around but no longer applicable to many situations.

To add to the whole mess... On Sunday I drove 20 miles to a gas station that has off road diesel. It costs 20 cents a gallon more than heating oil for some reason. It was just going to be a test run cause I only had 2 five gallon cans.

The pump was incredibly slow and then the power went out ! It came back on quickly but I would have had to put my card in again and that seldom goes well so I just went home and put the measly 4 gallons in my excavator. The guy in the store said the pump was slow cause it hasn't been used much ??? I thought that was pretty strange !

I need to get more 5 gallon cans and find a closer and cheaper provider !

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 07:12:17 PM »
The outfit I get diesel fuel and heating oil from is ok. I pay a set amount over the rack price. He has it easy itís 15 miles from the tank farm to here. I had a long talk with another dealer last summer. Most get .60 to .70 a gal. To deliver it. And should there be a price drop they may not pass it on.he said some try to get .90 to 1$if they have more customers then they want. As I was told itís a easy business to get into. Buy a truck and within two weeks you will have all the business you can handle

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
Diesel and heating are the same thing here bolts ultra low sulfur . Off rd diesel they add sales tax here and for heating oil in the garage in the house no tax.diesel will go up another .20 or so in dec. when they start winter blend.in the northeast there is a 99.9% chance itís Irving fuel no matter what it says on the pump

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2021, 07:35:46 PM »
Live free or die ? It's still around but no longer applicable to many situations.

To add to the whole mess... On Sunday I drove 20 miles to a gas station that has off road diesel. It costs 20 cents a gallon more than heating oil for some reason. It was just going to be a test run cause I only had 2 five gallon cans.

The pump was incredibly slow and then the power went out ! It came back on quickly but I would have had to put my card in again and that seldom goes well so I just went home and put the measly 4 gallons in my excavator. The guy in the store said the pump was slow cause it hasn't been used much ??? I thought that was pretty strange !

I need to get more 5 gallon cans and find a closer and cheaper provider !
Not sure what you drive; but I would be inclined to get a 50 Gal transfer tank and get fuel whenever I was in town on other errands.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
I like the tank idea. Have one in a pickup already but it's going to be hard to move and I won't drive that truck in winter. So I looked at them online. Not cheap. Suppose I could use the pump I have but would need another 20 feet of hose. 

Then the problem of paying an extra $20 per hundred gallons to have it NOT delivered and that's New Hampshire price. And only source is 8-10 miles from my errands .

So I'll just keep feeding the woodstove, get my whole house blower going and hope someone delivers !

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
I have a 100 gal. in my '92 ford ranger. For fuel oil I think that is legal. the little truck has car plates not commercial . Gotta play games to get anything done.

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »
Unfortunately thatís the only way the little guy has a chance. 

Offline Bill

• Why Not ?
    • Share Post
    • Photos
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 12:00:51 AM »
Somewhat similar thing happened last winter. To be fair the driveway is long and reasonably steep.

But the Oil company ( same one for last 15 years ) said they wouldn't deliver up the driveway ( in Jan ) till I plowed it . I had just plowed . . .  

I asked why they don't put their chains on . . .  
Answer - now their policy is to only use them for emergencies .

There's an off road diesel station a few minutes away and I found an outfit that sold 55 gallon plastic drums that were fuel rated. A couple fittings, a valve and they now can " gravity " feed the fill pipe, from either the atv or the tractors bucket .

Although making extra chores at least I don't worry about getting a fuel oil delivery  and figure I 'm saving a little off the " delivered " price for those times I m not there to burn wood.

btw - the 55 gallon drums strapped in my pickup bed didn't raise any eyebrows among others getting " heating oil " from the " gas " station.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 03:32:50 AM »
You should consider an electric furnace and wood stove combination. An electric furnace is just as warm and far cheaper than stove oil purchases. Right now wood is my main heat. But Mid Sept to Mid Nov I use the electric a lot because I don't need much heat, on a sunny day here, the heat is from solar, in through the windows. Maybe a morning smudge and then the sun takes over. The bright sun can drive the heat to nearly 90F in here, an open window is a common thing from solar heating. ;) Now when I get old and crippled up more, I'll be using more Electric and wood for times of power loss, a couple of cords in the basement would likely do me out until they plant me in the ground. Power outages are common, but not a long time unless a hurricane and how many have I seen that powerful way up here in 54 years? One. And only one severe ice event, and that lasted 48hrs.

You're dealing with too much crap! ;)
ďNo amount of belief makes something a fact.Ē James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 06:32:36 AM »
Electric is not cheaper here. It's something like 25 cents a KWH. It adds up to costing almost twice as much as oil. Also don't have a generator big enough to run electric heat in a power outage but I can run the boiler on a generator. The woodstove isn't really up to heating the whole house when it's less than 20F for days at a time.

I have radiant heat. I considered an indoor wood boiler but it was expensive and I haven't a good place for the chimney. Snow coming off the upper roof would wipe it out.

At this point, I can't afford to change much. Just paid the bill for having a boiler put in my other house. It had hot air heat that was done badly then the furnace died. I spent most of the summer getting the pex up under the floor and in the ceiling and walls for the downstairs. Half a mile of pex.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 06:44:55 AM »

At this point, I can't afford to change much.
Sell one house and fix the one you like just the way you want it.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
Comparison of heating costs in NH

Fuel Prices | Energy Division | NH Office of Strategic Initiatives

Still fixing the other house. Can't sell the way it is.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2021, 07:58:19 AM »
The young can't think anymore.
FedEx dropped a box of new bands Friday night while raining. Under the eaves of the shed , right in front of the opening . You can't make this stuff up.
Well at least they delivered. We have triangle between 3 roads the does not gps and we never see the same driver twice. You can hang signs at the driveway but that's not what they look at today. Cell phones and gps have taken all the common sense away. Land marks mean nothing. Tell them when they see lumber piles and logs they are here, means nothing.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
Heating oil here would be triple the cost of electric, 11 cents a kwh. Going by real world costs in the middle of a cold NB January, $350 for electric furnace heat, $1200 for a tank oil, and you'll burn a full tank of oil up here. A heat pump is useless below 20F, your just blowing around cold air. I've used that system and they "must" install an electric furnace with it our you'll freeze your hind end off. You have to push air from one end of the system to the other and it is cold on the other end. A furnace is central and pushes heat half the distance.  Heat pump and an electric furnace is $10 grand up here, plus duct. A wood furnace and a side electric is $3500, plus duct. If you have duct already, you can use it. You wouldn't use a generator for the electric side, use generator to use the wood side, to turn the fan. A little stash of wood for the outtages would last years. ;)

The little bit of electric I use this time of year before severe cold kicks in is at most $30 a month.
ďNo amount of belief makes something a fact.Ē James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log delivery †

Started by Bibbyman on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 08:28:23 PM
by KFhunter
xx
Delivery

Started by Corley5 on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 09:26:02 AM
by Nathan4104