iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions for owners of Turner sawmills

Started by cbar, January 17, 2022, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar

Hi everyone 

I am building a small hobby bandsaw mill as a project.  I'm using trailer tires as wheels and a 10 hp gas engine.

I have a couple of questions for anyone with experience with Turner Mills:

1. Wondering if the tires are typically a little out of round when inflated to 60 psi and if so is it necessary to shave or them to be round?

2. Are there any guidelines on tensioning the blade? I realise the blade can't be tensioned as can be done with solid cast iron wheels because the crown will come off the tires.  Just wondering how blade tension is obtained.

3. Is it necessary to use a water coolant for the blade?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

farmfromkansas

Don't know anyone who has a Turner mill.  My mill is a Cooks, and has crowned steel wheels, which are perfectly round.  It can be easily adjusted, so don't know why you want to go with tires.  See home built mills posted, some got their wheels from surplus center and use belts, like a Woodmizer, TK and others, but you can buy wheels from Cooks, along with guide rollers and other parts, such as spring tensioners.  If I were to build a mill, think I would source my parts from Cooks. And yes you need to run some blade cleaner-coolant if you cut green logs.  Dry logs don't have any pitch that sticks to your blade. Green logs cut easier.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

berryjb

I'm a rookie Sawyer, using an early, very well used Turner mill which I really enjoy - I've no experience with any other mill.  I keep the tires inflated to 50 psi, and have not noticed any out of round.  I can adjust the tension using both the tire pressure, as well as the built in adjustment mechanism - I just tension to feel, and I do not use any coolant on the blade.  Hope that helps

W5E2J

I have had one for about 20 years. Solid reliable sawmill.  The tires do get out of round a bit. and I probably will get my local tire guy to true them. He did balance the last set I bought.   W Jones 

Thank You Sponsors!