Carbon Offset Programs - Interesting Article

Started by peakbagger, May 08, 2022, 07:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peakbagger

Maine specific but an interesting read.  

Maine's large landowners aren't participating in carbon offset programs (themainemonitor.org)

There is lot of activity in Vermont with these programs, I think many of the VT transactions are non profit groups with preservation goals using the sale of offsets to purchase blocks of land that really had no intent to even cut the lots. This has happened to a lesser extent in Maine, but between Irving, John Mallone and Bayroot fewer large blocks come up. 

NS_HuntNFarm

There was big talk around carbon pricing to take hold in Nova Scotia. I am not sure what became of it but some larger woodlot groups were looking at the financial opportunities associated with woodlot management strategies around carbon capture/credits. We have to regulate carbon pricing provincially through some sort of tax or be forced into the federal dictated system. The last I heard we were going with a cap and trade system. This would have been beneficial to woodlot owners wanting to participate in carbon capture management. I am sure there will be more buzz in the coming years around this. I probably should have kept up on it a bit better. 
Orchard farmer & Forest tech (almost), I may like trees......

kantuckid

Yesterday I talked with a rep from Forest Carbon Works discussing their long-term approach to marketing private forest carbon credits. They send an agent to your property for certification and pay per acre, annually on a long term basis for forest carbon credits. Not per credit as does NCX. 
A typical contract is 25 years which makes sense for a forest thats not going to offer a harvest, or an owner having no intent to harvest in the near term future.
 They come up on any carbon credits google search.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

There was a lot of 'talk' here in NB with woodlot groups 20 years ago. I don't know of anyone participating or getting any benefit from it. One news article was group buying an old family woodlot to manage for credits, they weren't going to give any money to the family, other then the family sold the land to the group. There was no money for them to own the land and put the land into the scheme. I'll guarantee that there wasn't 1% woodlot owner participation, as in other land owners. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Take care not to "tie up" your valued timber lands for a long period of time. Be aware of the long-term commitments, often 25 years.
~Ron

kantuckid

"Carbon-credit Surplus Could Soon Turn to Shortage"
Thats the front page article in todays Wall Street Journal, 9/24/2022
Mentioned there-in is NCX but no other carbon credits marketing companies. 
I see no logic to making a 25 year contract that ties up our own forest for a much lower rate than the NCX annual set-ups.
 I was tentatively offered $900 annual for our 89 acres under a 25 year contract.   When I looked for other companies in that business they were all farm related and seemed to be fixed on 200+ acres and not forestry connected. 
The article has some lively letters which are mostly those who see this as a woke, sham program for large corporation who have a need for PR and tax write-offs. 
One letter was in support stating it was a bipartisan effort, etc. etc., but IMO, it's all about green & climate related stuff and I think the lobby for those companies like Weyerhaeuser or Exxon oil, airlines, so on, probably talked it up in Washington DC into what we see now. 
I seriously doubt that people like professional foresters were a part of the legislation unless they were a spokesperson for the big guys, not an on the ground industry person.  

Walnut Beast

Very interesting! Guess what happened to the timber company that had 100,000 acres in offset program in Oregon. You guessed it. Up in smoke and that ended the payments. Guess who buys the credits? Some of the biggest polluters. So who is it really helping 😂. That's why you get that nice little check that your tickled about!

Walnut Beast

So basically if your a company that's polluting and you want to stay in compliance you buy credits. That's why some of the biggest gas companies, airlines and more  private sectors are doing it

kantuckid

Quote from: Walnut Beast on October 12, 2022, 04:47:50 AM
Very interesting! Guess what happened to the timber company that had 100,000 acres in offset program in Oregon. You guessed it. Up in smoke and that ended the payments. Guess who buys the credits? Some of the biggest polluters. So who is it really helping 😂. That's why you get that nice little check that your tickled about!
"That check" isn't gonna happen for me as they never sold my carbon credits this year even though I agreed to the then current much lower credit figure of $6 in the last few months of their cycle. It's bucks for BS IMO, but I'll take it as one of the very few $$$ perks of owning a small forest. 
I do keep getting emails from another carbon credit company but no way on earth am I gonna sign a 25 year contract @ $900 annual, then tie up our timber at age nearing 79! Our sons can decide those future events. Deer hunters might pay more w/o carbon crazyness involved?
 I read about how "green" such and such company is in advertisements and giggle. Airlines may take the cake along with web social circle folks. Seriously, whats possibly green about google? It's part of their homepage.  :D

IndiLina

Quote from: kantuckid on September 20, 2022, 07:35:03 AM
Yesterday I talked with a rep from Forest Carbon Works discussing their long-term approach to marketing private forest carbon credits. They send an agent to your property for certification and pay per acre, annually on a long term basis for forest carbon credits. Not per credit as does NCX.
A typical contract is 25 years which makes sense for a forest thats not going to offer a harvest, or an owner having no intent to harvest in the near term future.
They come up on any carbon credits google search.  
Forest Carbon Works sent an agent out to my tracts but she got spooked because the locals were making 'threatening sounds' and left in the night without completing the survey. Bit of a joke that this company sends out kids scared to actually be in the woods. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

That's another problem are the contracts they want you to sign. Guarantee they will not let you out very easy once you sign. 

Walnut Beast

I've got the solar farm people calling today wanting me in. Now once you sign your in and on the land buying part they have a out on not buying. Now how fair is that!   On the land prices thread there was a parcel of land that was several million with a signed future solar contract on it. There will be plenty that definitely won't like that! Be careful before you sign some long term contract 

SwampDonkey

What happens if you're 100 miles from your ground and someone steels your timber and they figure you clearcut it yourself? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

"Arranged timber thefts" might become a thing? :D

Here in KY,. esp. the coal counties, mineral rights and the old notorious broad form deeds can also involve timber rights.  Several of my wife's siblings bought some property that adjoined her Mom's land and then recently sold it having cut every stick of marketable timber off it then my BIL mandated that it be sold with he and two sisters keeping the mineral rights. I was surprised they sold it, as I'd never have done so, which is one reason I was adamant to stay out of the deal to begin with. Someone from CA bought it sight unseen, over the phone, for more than it originally brought with timber & mineral rights.