iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I made a heck of an attempt to get to the visitation but failed miserably.  I was able to work with my forestry team that will go to the national ffa contest next month for the 2nd time, in person this morning, gave a forest disorder test to the rest of the class and planned to leave school after the morning classes.

Right as I was about to leave, I found four non-ag kids smoking stuff they should not have been in the ag bathroom.  Dealt with that and headed north.  Traffic was abysmal.  Normally, it would take a little over five hours to get to Perry, Ga from my place.  Today, I-75 was a parking lot, and it would have taken at least 8-9 hours to get there.  It looks like we will be dealing with a major hurricane later in the week. My intention was to drive home from Perry tonight and do the job as normal tomorrow.  I hate that I was not able to properly pay my respects to such an awesome person.  WDH (Danny) was an inspiration to me, and school was always in session in his presence.  

Going nowhere fast, or should it be going nowhere slow or at all? 
I did stop by Earl Hazlewood's place on the way home.  Some of you who run Wood-Mizers probably remember him.  He told me to tell all of you hello and he too, admired Danny and the knowledge that he had and shared.
Caveman

Magicman

You may not have gotten to the visitation, but you did not fail.  Your heart joined our hearts there. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

It was a nice visitation. They had pictures of him through out his life and with his family. Yellowhammer, Fishpharmer, J.R. Warren, Brandon Honeycutt and myself made it there to make a showing for the forum. A pretty good sized crowd was there and most took a while to leave. Lots of standing around outside sharing stories of how many time that man had done something good for us. Rest in Peace Danny your work here is done.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

aigheadish

It's hard to read through these and not think about the folks that go too early. My dad was one who went unexpectedly (and 20-30 years too early) and as I read through this thread it's very hard to not read in some similarities. Emotions are funny as I sit and cry over a person I never met and only had a few pleasant interactions with on a forum. 

It's interesting to hear all the lovely comments about people and I wish we, as a species, did better about making these comments to the people while they can still hear them. 

All that being said it seems like a good opportunity to thank you all for providing a great place to learn and build friendships, and welcoming in some goof that doesn't know much or have a whole lot to add (though that doesn't stop me). The wealth of knowledge and comradery here is very special and all you guys are part of it. Thank you. 

Sounds like, like my dad, Danny had a bigger effect on people than they or the people around them even knew. 

"Your work here is done" really hits me in a sorrowful way. It's totally what I believe but also seems terribly unfair and confusing.

Much love, y'all.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Bruno of NH

Thank you guys for representing us folks that couldn't make it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Raider Bill

Quote from: caveman on September 26, 2022, 08:35:21 PM
I made a heck of an attempt to get to the visitation but failed miserably.  I was able to work with my forestry team that will go to the national ffa contest next month for the 2nd time, in person this morning, gave a forest disorder test to the rest of the class and planned to leave school after the morning classes.

Right as I was about to leave, I found four non-ag kids smoking stuff they should not have been in the ag bathroom.  Dealt with that and headed north.  Traffic was abysmal.  Normally, it would take a little over five hours to get to Perry, Ga from my place.  Today, I-75 was a parking lot, and it would have taken at least 8-9 hours to get there.  It looks like we will be dealing with a major hurricane later in the week. My intention was to drive home from Perry tonight and do the job as normal tomorrow.  I hate that I was not able to properly pay my respects to such an awesome person.  WDH (Danny) was an inspiration to me, and school was always in session in his presence.  

Going nowhere fast, or should it be going nowhere slow or at all? 
I did stop by Earl Hazlewood's place on the way home.  Some of you who run Wood-Mizers probably remember him.  He told me to tell all of you hello and he too, admired Danny and the knowledge that he had and shared.
Wild Bill and I both wanted and discussed making the trip but with the storm coming both of us have properties to harden. Good thing we didn't as today they will stop westbound traffic over the Tampa Bay bridges and make them all eastbound. We wouldn't have been able to get home.
Everything's North and East is a parking lot.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for representing us that could not make it.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Danny dedicated himself to his family, he would not want anyone to put themselves or their family in jeopardy for him. 

Stay safe down there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

My favorite rendition. We played it at my Dad's funeral.
Rest in peace my friend.
Amazing Grace - Rhema 7yr old Gospel singer plz "Share" - YouTube
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Old Greenhorn

I'll just offer this up. I believe Danny would have liked this. It's a traditional Bluegrass Gospel tune covered by many. I'll bet he even played it a time or two with others.

Going Up Home to Line in Green Pastures (Live) - YouTube
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

Quote from: customsawyer on September 27, 2022, 06:03:23 AM. . . Yellowhammer, Fishpharmer, J.R. Warren, Brandon Honeycutt and myself made it there to make a showing for the forum. A pretty good sized crowd was there . .
Thank you gentlemen for representing all of us that couldn't make it there.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

newoodguy78

I never met Danny or spoke with him. With that said he taught me a lot and have actually used some of his big words to stump a few people. My sincere condolences go out to his family and all you  folks that were close to him.

Reading through this thread is very humbling for multiple reasons. When it's my time to go I can only hope my boots are on and my friends can share as many stories and offer up some fine music as everyone here has.

This a very impressive and honorable tribute put together by everyone here.

YellowHammer

Danny was a great guy, and it's a rare thing to know someone who had no enemies.  Certainly I don't qualify in that category.  

I was honored to meet his family that I hadn't met before, and also his brother.  We stood around and told stories about Danny, and it was nice to talk about some of the good times we had.

Although his death was untimely, he had a full, rich life and an amazing family.  Good people.  

By the way, as bad as the traffic was going down, it was worse coming back.  Wow, and I don't think I've ever seen so many convoys of utility trucks, transformers, heavy equipment, and spools of wire headed down south.  

And once again thanks to Jake and Tammy for letting Martha and I stay for the night.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

Robert, I am glad that you and Martha were able to go.  I too, was looking forward to meeting Danny's family.  He bragged about them (in a humble manner of course) often.  Currently, there are 30000 linemen stationed in Florida to help restore power after the storm.  I saw hundreds of them heading south on I-75 yesterday.  

Is there anything that Danny was not good at?  He not only found and collected arrowheads and other points, but he could tell you what era they were likely from and why.  He could ID wood better than most.  I would not want to be up against him in a dendro contest.  His woodworking skills were admirable as well.  I never got the chance to take him fishing but I suspect he was better than adequate in his piscatorial pursuits also.
Caveman

SawyerTed

Just a thought regarding "his work being done", it struck me that this thread is a testimony that "his works" live on in the lives of those  he touched.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doctorb

I was so sorry to hear of Danny's passing.  I have PM'ed with him as much as anyone on the Forum, and that's over 10 years or more.  He was open, sharing, understanding, and a great "Teammate".  I only met Danny once, and it was early on at a Pig Roast.  We hit it off immediately.  He invited me to join him at home and he offered to give me a week of tree education that I couldn't get in a lifetime.  I was working back then, and couldn't take the time away.  I sure regret that now.  He was a very solid man who knew from whence he came, spoke softly, and treated others with respect.  He and I discussed his health issues, as well as those of his wife, often and at length.  I'll sure miss talking with him.  He was the kind of man you hope walks this earth everywhere, but you know does not. RIP my friend.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

customsawyer

Doctorb that must have been the pig roast that you and I were elected to go get ice. I remember Jeff laughing and saying he never pictured the two of us in the same vehicle. I have to agree on that thought but we made it work and it was my pleasure to meet you.
A couple have commented or shared my comment about his work is done. No hard feelings but his is. It is our responsibility to take the kind heart and knowledge that Danny shared with us and make sure he is never forgotten. That is my friend and anytime I was doing a task for him he brought out the best in me. I pray I am able to perform at that level like Danny is watching every day.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doctorb

Ah, yes.  The ice run.  My recollection is that we came back with a trunk full.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

customsawyer

I'm going to word this in a different way. For those that was here at the last project and watched me unload the log truck. Well that happened to be Mr. Charles Hill of Hill logging. He is one of two crews that Danny would allow on his place to cut timber. Can any of you imagine being a logger and you have to go cut timber on Danny's place. No pressure right? I have hundreds of stories I could share where I was doing something for Danny and you would have a meeting with the entire crew, (me, myself and I) before you got there. The main topic of discussion was "don't mess up". Danny brought out the best of anyone around him. You wanted to be half as good as he said you were. He would build you up so high I actually believed it for 10 minuets or so until I messed up again. There was no one like that man. He and my memory of him is awesome.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

That is a good description "He would bring out the best" in people.

Yep.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

aburnette165

When I first got my mill I reached out on the forum for help with training and Danny and Jake both reached out and said I could come hangout. I went to Dannys since it was closer to me. He taught me more in a day than I can remember about milling and trees. Gave me a tour of his property and house and shop. Even fed me lunch. I will always remember his willingness to teach and to be kind.

Crossroads

I am sorry to learn of Danny passing, I never had the pleasure to meet him, but seemed to alway gain a perspective fr reading his posts. It was easy to tell that he was gentleman. Jake, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, I understand you were quite close. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!