iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol F2 mill

Started by Greenhighlander, October 08, 2022, 08:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhighlander

Got hit by a hurricane a couple weeks ago and the only tree that fell on my property took out my Jobber J100 mill.  I was going to just get another one as I have been very happy with it. But it looks like they are no longer being sold. 
The closest thing I can find to replace it is the F2 . 
I wanted to make this post just looking for feedback from anyone with experience with one . The good , bad , and ugly. 
 Thank you 

Greenhighlander

So I will soon have an F2+ mill, bar nose attachment, and hand winch heading my way. Thanks to insurance this will be replacing my Jobber J100 mill that got crushed by a tree back in September.

JoshNZ

That is bad luck but always the way it goes! Good to hear you'll be back up and running soon.

Greenhighlander

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 09, 2022, 03:32:47 PM
That is bad luck but always the way it goes! Good to hear you'll be back up and running soon.
I figure it is the trees either fighting back or letting me know they would prefer to be milled by the Cadillac of chainsaw mills haha
It took me quite a while to figure it out , but I was more then happy with the jobber mill.  I really think it is a great design.  Word is the company that bought Jobber will be releasing an improved version in the new year possibly. That is what the rep told me in emails anyway.
I feel like I will miss the Jobber being able to be set up and mill right where the tree falls compared to the F2+ being slightly less portable by needing a flat surface.    
For now I am looking forward to the new mill and being able to continue to clear the old farm field and keep milling the millable logs as I go. My goal this year was to mill enough for a smokehouse and a second woodshed.  

I plan on posting my adventure with it here.  

Greenhighlander

So I received my brand new Logosol F2+ .   Kind of a funny story from when it was delivered. 
The guys start unloading a few smaller boxes asking me where I want them to drop the main pallet. Right away I think , main pallet ? how big is this thing ?   They hand me another box and I look on the box and see Woodland Mills.  I then look into their truck and see the rest of the main pallet , and see one of the main large boxes says Woodland Mills bandsaw mill.  
I then mention to them that they are trying to give me someone else's mill.  They ask me if I am sure , and I said ya , this thing is worth a few times what mine is . The younger guy goes back into the truck and finds my small pallet with 6 boxes on it. 
Anyway , it sure looks like it is going to be a lot more work to put together then my old mill after looking through the assembly instructions. Especially because the instructions have those scan code things for cell phones , and I haven't had one for many years now.  
Anyway I will keep this thread updated with my learning this mill

Crossroads

That's a bummer! Is it possible or worthwhile to salvage the old mill?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Greenhighlander

Quote from: Crossroads on November 27, 2022, 10:22:20 AM
That's a bummer! Is it possible or worthwhile to salvage the old mill?
From what I can see from the damage no .  At least not anywhere near me and not for the same or less then I paid for it. I will take a picture of it now that the tree is off .  I know a fella about 4 hours from me with a metal shop and I might ask his opinion at some point. But will most likely repurpose it somehow.  
I am hoping to be able to start putting the F2 together by the new year.

Greenhighlander

Finally started putting the mill together .  Took me 3-4 hours to put the first lifter together. A couple hickups along the way but nothing too frustrating so far.

richhiway

Good luck with it. I liked mine.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Greenhighlander

I had to hit pause on putting it together as quite early into putting the second lifter together I realized I was missing an entire bag of parts. 
I am waiting to hear back from them about it. I have read nothing but good things about their customer service , so we shall see. 

Southside

So the tree fell onto it's sword eh?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Greenhighlander

Just wanted to update. 
I have been dealing with the Canadian distributer about the missing bag of parts. I won't mention them because I am not too sure about the rules here around that stuff.   But I do have to say they have been amazing to deal with. Extremely helpful from the start and only 3 days later and I am expecting the courier here anytime.  
So if that wasn't great enough service , they are also sending me a log turner worth almost $300+ tax for the hassle. Best customer service I have experienced in many years now.

Greenhighlander

I have managed to get everything but the top rail that the saw rides on , assembled so far.  

This is the log turner they sent me. Looks like it might actually work good. First thought is I would like to add extensions on the handles so I don't even have to bend over at all to use it when the log is on the ground. 

Greenhighlander

Haven't forgot about this thread. Just haven't gotten any further yet. My health is pretty bad these days and haven't had a day where I felt good enough to give er a go. 
Also trying to figure out how to swing buying one of those log arches for behind my Jeep. This mill can't mill where the tree drops like my old one and I can't physically move logs like I use to.  
Anyway , I will keep updating as I go 

Greenhighlander

I picked this log arch up a couple days ago. Seemed to be a good deal compared to what the price of new , much less beefy ones were. Not to mention I was given at least a two month wait time on a new one through wood miser. 
With the F2+ being less portable then the jobber was , this should help me get logs to the mill. Especially as I am just clearing an old farm field and can get my jeep to each log without much problem. 
Now if I can just get my health and the weather to cooperate , I hope to finally be milling in the next two weeks or so.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-machinery/bridgewater/skidder-log-winch-log-arch/1648098855

Thank You Sponsors!