iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unexpected call

Started by charles mann, January 27, 2023, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

I received a call today from the local WM dealer. Evidently my mill is kinda ready for pickup, 8 months early, but due to numerous failed lift assist cylinders on the 15Ws, WM did a recall and the dealer said it will be ready next week to take delivery once the recall cylinder has been replaced. 

GREAT, but next week is my first week of my 2 week work schedule, so it will be 2 week of extreme anxiousness, not to mention 12 hr days of boardum to make it worse. My plan was to to pay down about half the mill price before taking delivery, and use the 8 months to hopefully finish up on my wide mill build.Im hesitant on bumping myself further down the line, which may push the next mill out beyond my original (oct/nov 2023) delivery date.

Welp, either way, i guess i need to become better at time management between building and learning.   
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

doc henderson

well you got options! :)  hope it works out well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

charles mann

Quote from: doc henderson on January 27, 2023, 01:14:39 PM
well you got options! :)  hope it works out well.
Im taking delivery of it on 16Feb, no doubt about it. It'll split in half a late V day and early B day to myself. Im not taking the chance of getting pushed further down the list. 
Temple, Tx

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Congratulations. Glad your getting it 👍

scsmith42

Congratulations!  Post pix after you get it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

Congratulations! Get it when you can. Remember If you want something done give it to a busy person.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

charles mann

I tried the search function and found a comment from @Nebraska about a grill cover being used as a mill head cover, but not knowing which mill he has. Does anyone know which grill cover would fit the mill head on a 15W w/ pwr feed? I have a PB1000/Austin grill cover that the wind has flapped it enough at the bottom of the hopper to tear it. I bought a new grill cover and if i can repurpose the cover, i will. If it wont, i'll buy a head cover from WM. 
Not trying to be cheap, just repurposing if i can. 
Temple, Tx

fluidpowerpro

I bought a golf cart cover for my Mill. Works good.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

terrifictimbersllc

I've always had a Woodmizer cover on my sawmills. The first one was still going strong after 19 years. The one I have now on my second mill, going on 4 years, still like new.

Yes, they are expensive but I often wished I could buy a grill cover as good as as my mill cover.  :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Resonator

When I first got my mill it still had the black plastic wrap on it, I saved it and used it as a cover to start with.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

DanMc

YIKES!!!!!!  This is amazing news!  I have an LT35HD on order and last I heard, it would be available at about the same timeframe, Oct '23 !!!!

Shysters!!!!!!
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Magicman

Wood-Mizer's covers are made from "high-quality, fiber-reinforced material".  My covers were bought new with my 1998 sawmill.  The proper cover would be well worth $225.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

charles mann

With no answers to my specific question on a grill cover, i'll buy the wm cover and be done with protecting the equipment.
Temple, Tx

DanMc

I was thinking of going cheap, but seeing that the WM cover can last 20 years further down south, it sounds like the WM IS THE lowest cost approach!!!!  One more thing to add to my order.......
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Andries

The original WM covers for the LT40 control box and motor have lasted 21 years up here in the glaciated Prairies.
All sorts of tarps have bleached out or shredded by the wind, but they kept snow and ice buildup off the mill. I was getting tired of buying new ones every year. Ordered up the LT40 sawmill head cover a month ago. It was pricey, but it looks like it will last a long time. Its not black but a putty coloured shade with the usual WM orange logo. Colour coordination might become a big issue around here.
Also, the material isn't very flexible at -25°F , who'd a thunk?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

I have individual covers for the engine, control box, and lube/fuel jugs.  I can travel with them on but it is my understanding that you should not travel with the full sawmill head cover installed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Thanks for the reminder MM, there are many tie down grommets at the bottom of the cover.
However, at highway speeds it'd probably balloon up and create a sensation. 😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

charles mann

Quote from: Andries on January 31, 2023, 11:56:38 AMAll sorts of tarps have bleached out or shredded by the wind, but they kept snow and ice buildup on the mill. I was getting tired of buying new ones every year.
Not meant strictly for Andries but for all. 
Iv wondered about billboard material. People use them in lieu of run of the mill box store tarps, and evidently they last many times longer than regular tarps. 
I used to see billboard material on fb mp but havent seen it in a yr. I do have a lamar billboard business a few miles up the road from me. 
Temple, Tx

hilltopper46

Quote from: charles mann on January 31, 2023, 03:59:33 PM

Not meant strictly for Andries but for all.
Iv wondered about billboard material. People use them in lieu of run of the mill box store tarps, and evidently they last many times longer than regular tarps.
I used to see billboard material on fb mp but havent seen it in a yr. I do have a lamar billboard business a few miles up the road fro
I see the vinyl billboard material advertised on Craigslist currently, at least in the Milwaukee area.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

SawyerTed

Motorcycle covers and ATV covers work well for sawmill head covers.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

From the sounds of it the WM covers are made of depleted uranium.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I got a nice one with my mill but with the changes made, it was a little tight to get on.  they sent me the next size up but it was so much material to get on top, that I quit using it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jpassardi

Old commercial roofing membrane (if you know a contractor) is very durable but heavy to put on.
If you're not mobile milling I'd suggest building a shed to cover the head of the mill. Well worth the effort. Works well for a manual mill, if you have a hydraulic with drag back the layout needs to be 90*. It's also a good place to store all the other small stuff needed for milling - spare chainsaw, cant hook, logging tongs, wrenches, etc.
One downside to covers is they invite mice to build in your engine.
Oh, and whatever size you build it'll soon be too small...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Nebraska

Timberking B-16, it was 72 inch grill cover, I will take  a picture and post it on my way to the office. It could be a little bigger but is doing the job. It's seems like it was around 30.00$. Just saw the question, calving season is upon us and work is picking up. @charles mann

Thank You Sponsors!