iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unexpected call

Started by charles mann, January 27, 2023, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I actually really want to cover my mill with a roof instead of a grill cover.  ;).

Crossroads

Quote from: doc henderson on February 01, 2023, 06:50:00 AM
I got a nice one with my mill but with the changes made, it was a little tight to get on.  they sent me the next size up but it was so much material to get on top, that I quit using it.  
Definitely a chore in itself to put the full head cover on. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

charles mann

Quote from: Nebraska on February 01, 2023, 07:46:31 AM
I actually really want to cover my mill with a roof instead of a grill cover.  ;).
Same here. 
I could go buy the wood from a box store, but im not sure exactly where my mill will live and iv got a very large wood pile i need to learn on and start whittling it down. I also dont want to handle the logs no more than need be even though i have a crane and tractor with a 3000# lift FEL, and where the log pile is, most likely wont be the first and final home for the mill. Which is my old garden site, which i want to reclaim as a garden. 
So for now, id rather protect my investment with a cover. Heck the past 3 days, we have rcvd enough rain/sleet to blanket anything stationary with 1/2"+ of ice. Luckily no freezing rain just thunderstorms, and temps starting to get above 32. But been w/o power since 3am and its 56°in the house, even with the fireplace going. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Magicman

I am thankful for my sawmill covers because my sawmill has lived outside 24-7 it's entire 25 year lifetime.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

charles mann

MM, exact reason why i want a cover, or covers. To costly of an investment to leave it to the elements, esp with some of the electronics/electrics these units have. Mine is only power feed, but no sense in deliberately subjecting it to the elements. 
Temple, Tx

Crossroads

Called Woodmizer this morning to get an estimate on my delivery date. Got a completely honest answer. "With the supply chain issues and getting engines, we're not giving delivery dates at this time. We don't want to miss lead customers " 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

charles mann

Crossroads, at least they were honest. 

Im guessing mine was from an order someone else placed and i was next in line for a 15 wide. 

I will be doing a dye pen inspection of the welds Just in case, since there are numerous reports of new mills with failed welds. 
I told krystal at wm tx i would be doing the inspection, and she said if i find any, report them immediately and they would make it right. 
Temple, Tx

Magicman

Quote from: charles mann on February 02, 2023, 09:21:53 PMsince there are numerous reports of new mills with failed welds.
smiley_headscratch  I guess that I missed reading about them. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wintergreen Mountain

congratulations . Are you done your home made mill?
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

MattM

Quote from: Magicman on February 02, 2023, 09:37:22 PMsmiley_headscratch  I guess that I missed reading about them.
I think the quality and standards may not be what it once was ...
I still have to contact my dealer to mention all this but I got my new LT35HD about two weeks ago and my first 12inch cant was off square by 3/8 of an inch. And when I looked down the bottom of the can't the bed rails were all over the place. I thought maybe it was trapezoidal just cause I wasn't used to the hydraulics and maybe shifted it when clamping but the second cant was exactly the same when squared off the back stops. So I put it in the garage and checked the alignment.... Nothing was right. Luckily I've had a mill and am familiar with how things are supposed to be set up because I'd feel bad for a newbie that didn't know anything about milling if they had a brand new mill that nothing was right on.
With the machine leveled on a cement floor and using two Starrett squares for the measurements....
-Going off the first bed rail which was the one that was the least off the saw head was up 3/16th on the idle side instead of 1/16.
-the side supports when in the down position were tilted out 1/16th
-in the up position were tilted in 1/8th
-most of the bed rails were low on the idle side and almost all were different distances from the blade(idle and drive side)
-the front Pivoting rest was 1/4 lower than all the other bed rails
-The rear Pivoting rest was 3/16 higher
- the debarker cut 1/2 above the blade
-the sawdust chute looks to be 4-5 inchs shorter than ones on YouTube so the strap barely holds it in place, just giving it a jiggle makes it drop so there's no way it's staying up while driving.
-the trailer brakes did not work when I got the mill. On the drive home I thought it might be my brake controller but really they were so far out of adjustment they did not apply enough to give any braking
When I first got it the blade tension was not set up at all and the blade was so loose it was floppy.... So I'm not sure how they would've adjust things at the factory...
I almost wonder if I got a Monday morning/Friday evening mill.
Up here in Canada this mill costs $45k so receiving a mill that is not set up and having to do a full alignment on it is kinda like buying a brand new truck that I have to put all the oils in and set the toe and camber on.

I think that standards the past couple of years just aren't what they used to be, it seems like nobody give a poop. I bought a popular brand dual tooth setter half almost a year ago and it was advertised as being all 1/2in plate. All the pictures showed that it was as well as YT videos. When I received it the bottom plate was only 1/4 and something that it came with for aligning things was inches shorter than their manual stated it should be so was useless for said alignment. I contacted them, not to get money back... Or even complain, but to let them know so that they could change the description on their website so that they wouldn't be falsely advertising what the product was. They said thank you but to this day the pictures and videos all show and advertise 1/2 plate....  ???
LT35HDG25

charles mann

Quote from: Wintergreen Mountain on February 18, 2023, 07:43:56 PM
congratulations . Are you done your home made mill?
Not far from done, but not not near either. I dont have a lot of item left, but what i do have, is both labor and fabricating intensive. 
Took the redeye from LAX, Ca to DFW, Tx on tue, got to dfw at 5am and drove 3hrs hm wen morning. After a brief 2 day rest-ish, got up fri morning and drove the 4hrs to the TX WM. Arrived just after 8:35 and was loaded, strap down and pulling out of their yard just before 9am, heading 4hr back home. 
Got hm fri afternoon, coupled up to my gn for a 4 hr drive to ne tx this morning to get loaded with tornado blow over red oak. I could only load 4 logs due to the estimated wt., with 1 log guessing in around 10,000#, another a lil over 5000, another around 3500 and the forth we didnt bother with the calculator. 
Once loaded, went across the street to assess other blow downs and bucked another red oak, 35" at the butt, around 42" near the first crotch 11'4" up, then got another 8' log to the next crotch.
 Also getting 8-10 pines, about 30-40" at the butt, with good straight growth 40'+ up, but 4 had the tops broke out about 30' up. 
Gonna head back thur night to get cutting at day break fri morning. Gonna try and get another 20,000+ lbs.
Will start prepping the site for the mill pad this coming week and hopefully get it set up after i get back from ne tx. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

MattM

When i was loaded and strapped down, pulling out of their yard, i noticed the whole head tilting side to side. Yes, its top heavy-ish, but once i got to the next town, 10 miles away, i stopped to get more straps and to finish cutting the plastic wrap off, that wind proceeded to shred. 
When i was putting 2 straps on the cross bar, i noticed how crappy the hold down hardware was installed. They ran the lag bolts in to close to the edge of a pallet board, then instead of moving the bolts or putting a thicker support board under the board, nope, they ran another bolt next to it, ripping the board even further. Kind of a p poor workmanship from the crating/shipping department. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!