iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Frontier OS31

Started by Broncman, February 02, 2023, 07:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broncman

Just took delivery of my new OS31 mill this week. Currently waiting on my lot to dry up from the rain so I can get some more gravel hauled into my pad. Got the mill, blade sharpener and setter.

Long range plans are to mill lumber for our house on my property.  Short term is to get a solar kiln built, some drying sheds and drying pads to store the lumber. 

We have about 13 acres of gun barrel straight Tulip Poplar,  some hickory and a few white pines. I have about 8 or so ash that are dying from the beetles that I will saw up as well. Family raises cattle and they have quite a bit more timber on the farm.

Will build some sheds and small barns to get my feel for milling before we start on the house. First thing is to mill a bunch of stickers! Looking forward to learning all I can and have enjoyed reading all the posts on here.

Ken
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

cutterboy

WELCOME Ken and good luck with your plans. You must be impatient to get your mill running.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Broncman

Yes! Wet weather has hit here and halted a lot. I did pick up plate packer to help with getting the lot ready . Had to do some grading and it is soft. Flatland here in my area of western NC is very little if any!
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

APope

Welcome to the forum! You'll like running the 31 after putting it together. Shouldn't be hard once you get some dry weather for a bit.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

trimguy

Welcome, and yes on the stickers. You will need way more than you think.

jpassardi

LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

thecfarm

You will like sawing.
Get yourself a Logrite cantdog or peavey to turn those logs. Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA!!!
How are you getting the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Broncman

I already have a few peavies , will check out the other stuff. I have a trailer that I added a log arch too. We have several tractors and I have a "skidder" so to speak.  Got a smaller log arch in the works right now that I can hook to my tractors or other equipment. 

My dad and I are looking at another tractor with a heavier bucket capacity to install a grapple on. Right now, I just cut the trees and drag the logs to a spot I can load them with my trailer that has an arch and winch on it. 

I have a new 5K lb winch that will go in the mill to help get logs on the mill and turn them until we can get a grapple for one of our tractors with a front end loader. 
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum.  Where in Western North Carolina are you? I'm in northern Cleveland county.  Right on the Burke county line.  Lots of mud here too. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

SawyerTed

Welcome from another NC sawyer.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

stanmillnc

Welcome - I'm based in Charlotte, but often up your way in Watauga county.

Jack S

welcome Broncman, Am in Mooresville. Have a norwwod lm29.   You will do well

Broncman

Quote from: Patrick NC on February 03, 2023, 09:47:58 AM
Welcome to the forum.  Where in Western North Carolina are you? I'm in northern Cleveland county.  Right on the Burke county line.  Lots of mud here too.
Patrick,  I am down in Haywood county off of I-40, Fines Creek. Almost in TN
Ken
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Patrick NC

You're about 2 hours from me. We spend a lot of time up that way in the summer.  Wife likes to go to Cherokee and Gatlinburg. I like to drive the scenic routes on the way back, even if it takes an extra day. I've been through Fines Creek before. You sure are right about not being much level ground around there. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

yankeeredneck

Seems there are plenty of us NC people around lol

Welcome to the forum. I have been a long time lurker of this forum and have found everyone here very knowledgeable. I myself will be ordering a HM130max form Woodland Mills but have heard some great things about the Frontier models.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

teakwood

Quote from: Broncman on February 02, 2023, 07:15:26 AM
Just took delivery of my new OS31 mill this week. Currently waiting on my lot to dry up from the rain so I can get some more gravel hauled into my pad. Got the mill, blade sharpener and setter.

Long range plans are to mill lumber for our house on my property.  Short term is to get a solar kiln built, some drying sheds and drying pads to store the lumber.

We have about 13 acres of gun barrel straight Tulip Poplar,  some hickory and a few white pines. I have about 8 or so ash that are dying from the beetles that I will saw up as well. Family raises cattle and they have quite a bit more timber on the farm.

Will build some sheds and small barns to get my feel for milling before we start on the house. First thing is to mill a bunch of stickers! Looking forward to learning all I can and have enjoyed reading all the posts on here.

Ken
We have a unwritten rule  here on the FF: No fotos, didn't happend. 
We like fotos!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Broncman

Got the base rough set. Hopefully if weather holds,I can get it all assembled this weekend. 

Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Thank You Sponsors!