iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt35 trailer ball size?

Started by MattM, February 02, 2023, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattM

I'm going to be picking up my Lt35 tomorrow  8) and Im putting one of those big broom things on the truck to try to keep some the calcium on the roads (pretty much an instant rust maker) off the mill. It's suppose to be fairly cold here tomorrow so I don't want to have to fool around in the dealership parking lot changing my ball around once the big broom thing is attached. What size ball is on the lt35? 2 or 2 5/16? 
LT35HDG25

Resonator

My LT28 is a 2" ball, I'm thinking the LT35 is the same (guys with LT 35's could confirm this). Also it has a flat 4 light plug, I use an adapter to connect to the round 7 blade socket on my pickup.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

Yep - 2". Mine has the round 7 pin light/brake adapter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Having to pull it through the salt right away would kill me. Myself, I would look into getting a flatbed I could haul it on, just to keep it out if that trash. You will thank yourself every time you have to turn a nut or bolt on it in the future!

Failing that, I would consider spraying every nut and bolt with a penetrating lubricant. Salt is horrible on a mill, mine had been pulled in salt before I bought it and I've broken many a fastener off over the years because of it.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

As much of a pain as it might be I would delay the trip until the roads are dry.

Rust issues aside, how long will you be without a mill if some fool behind you dosen't stop in time? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

MattM

Sadly putting it on another trailer won't make much difference up here.... My tractor can attest to that. Had it 5 years with not a speck of rust on it and had to haul it to the dealer an hour away last winter in my dump trailer for transmission warranty work,  By the time I got it back two weeks later it had rust everywhere.... And the front wall of my dump trailer is a foot taller than the tailgate of my truck.

The way our roads are up here anything within 50 feet of the back of the truck and 10feet high gets covered in calcium mist.
That's why I'm putting the big dust broom on to help catch some of snow and mist.

Thankfully it's been really sunny and cold the past few days so hopefully the highway will be nice and dry tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The worst thing is the mill has been sitting at the dealer since mid December (before we had any snow) waiting on the extra hydraulic side supports. It still doesn't have them, I keep being told they should be in in a week or two....since December 16th. So I finally asked if I can just come get it and they're supposed to mail me the side supports. I could've just got it a month and a half ago when it was warm and dry :'(
LT35HDG25

MattM

Quote from: Southside on February 02, 2023, 12:05:25 PM
As much of a pain as it might be I would delay the trip until the roads are dry.

Rust issues aside, how long will you be without a mill if some fool behind you dosen't stop in time?
:D no trouble to tell you don't live in Canada haha, I'd have to wait till early May. 
Towing a trailer in the winter up hear doesn't worry me in the least, I do it regularly and in very bad conditions. 
The roads are actually really nice right now but vehicles still kick up the calcium mist if there's any moisture on the road at all. Even if there wasn't any on the highway I would still hit calcium on the rural roads I have to drive on the get to the highway. 
The reason I'm going tomorrow in stead of next week is because its supposed to warm up in a few days and then rain/snow all next week. Tomorrow is supposed to be -26C/-15f and nice and sunny so the roads will be as dry as they can possibly be in the winter here.
Oh and thanks for the ball size guys, 2inchs it is  8)
LT35HDG25

Magicman

Do you have access to a steam cleaner or at least a hot water source to hose it down with?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattM

Nope no steam, I'll just have to hose it down next week when it gets above freezing. This is just a fact of life up hear you learn to deal with.... It sucks though, especially for vehicles, I wish they would use sand like they used to. 

Two days ago I had to replace the main stainless brake line on my truck that goes from the abs module to the rear axle. It was completely corroded for 5 feet of its length and had burst open.... I had just replaced it 4 years ago... :-X  and when I jacked up the truck the frame rails started collapsing, they were perfect last year.

Next truck is getting a good quality undercoat from the start.
LT35HDG25

Stephen1

MattM Good luck with the travels. I have had to move my mills over the years on our roads, we might even be worse up here, they send out a tanker truck to spray the calcium chloride before the storm. 
I have a carwash down the road from me, so the once or twice a winter I pull the mill, I will go thru the power wash and then I pour the ATF to very nut and bolt on that mill every time I lube the chains.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Jeff says he hasn't seen a problem with his WM that when delivered was named the "slushmizer" iirc. Came from CO to MI in snow covered roads. 

But having a good supply of Blue Creeper from Logrite is the best penetrating fluid on the market, bar none. Also is a fine lubricant as well. A million used for it. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerTed

I believe I'd carry several heavy contractor garbage bags and duct tape. Wrap the control console, hydraulics box, engine and anything else a bag and duct tape will cover. Everything else would get a good coat of transmission fluid.  

Good luck and safe travels.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

I'd check if they still have the black plastic wrap the mill came from the factory with, would at least protect the engine mill head.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

MattM

Thanks for the support guys, I'm sure it'll go fine. It's not my first time towing a mill in the winter time. It will be my last time though  :D
.... Unless I upgrade in the future and get it in winter.....

It should still have the plastic on the head. When I went to pick up my new sharpener a few months back all the mills were left wrapped up. And if not I'll probably wrap it up myself depending on the conditions. 
LT35HDG25

Stephen1

One thing I would plastic wrap would be the fuse box just in front of the battery box, it is down low and gets the worst of the road mess. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

MattM

Your a day to late... I brought it home yesterday. The head was still wrapped so no issues there. One thing I'm not to happy about that I didn't notice until today because of the snow that was on it at the dealers is the top rail was covered in rust scale... The dealer is right next to salt water and the mill has been sitting outside for 2 months.
I sanded and lubed it today but there is still light piting everywhere but where the head wrap was covering the rail. It really should have been lubed up to prevent rust. When you pay almost 45k CAD for a machine it should be mint when you get it.
LT35HDG25

Thank You Sponsors!