iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The rolling pin revolution

Started by Don P, March 28, 2023, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

For some years Farmers Markets in my state have operated under "Cottage Rules" that allow people to sell some products that we recognize a pretty safe at the farmers market without having a full blown built and inspected kitchen. A person can sell non fridge baked goods, bread, cookies, jams, jellies, some high acid canned things, etc. It is a good law...  you haven't heard of trouble from this, it has worked fine. No online sales, no interstate transport.

Pre pandemic it was for off line, payment by cash of check at point of sale only. Our market, and most in the state went online during the pandemic. There was an exemption for the past 3 years that allowed the customers to use credit cards to place orders and pick up. People ordered and paid online, the farmers brought their goods in Wed mornings, stuff was boxed for each order and the clients drove thru and picked up a box in the afternoon. These foods were able to move just like produce and meat as far as business went. It worked, everyone survived and the market had no Covid or food borne illness coming from it. Software evolved in that direction. There were zero food incidents statewide caused by using the online credit card payment system vs face to face transactions. This online system was not being used to ship exempt processed food across state lines.

My wife was on a webinar about a week ago with the state farmers market folks. With the emergency declaration rescinded the state has decided to go back to the off line requirement of the cottage laws. In this 3 years the markets and how they interact with the public has changed. Ours does both in person and online, it works. As with many of these things the webinar was not a well attended meeting. To ascribe intent, this is going to be a collections program. She protested and said that would kill half the markets, and was pretty much told to endeavor to persevere.  Violation is a misdemeanor but same as a DUI. For selling cookies. I see there's new flour and yeast in the pantry.  Guess I better go earn bail  :).

stavebuyer

Petty tyrants in noble pursuit of the greater good.  ::) ::) ::)

Don P

I Mean.

What encouraged me was that when times are tough, these little markets were finding another way. We need other ways! Anything that encourages small, independent, distributed, production of anything, in house, is a good thing! Nothing can take out those kind of people. Encourage people who are trying with everything we've got. 

Michelle has been doing an after school program with some of the elementary kids. There is an enclosed raised bed garden outside and a hydroponic setup inside. It was in the entry at the request of the principal so everyone could enjoy watching things grow. 

Some suit from the head office visited last week. It's now in the back corner of the remedial reading room. I know they mean well but it sure isn't right.

Whew, let's go do something fun  :D

K-Guy

If you give bureaucrat's a chance, they will legislate the fun out of everything!  > smiley_furious
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

rusticretreater

Remember when Obama wanted to tax yard sales?  It will only take a brave intrepid soul to make some news waves and they will back off of the farmers markets. I'm surprised the state farmers associations haven't raised some ruckus.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Don P

I deleted my thoughts there earlier. They have been supporting all the intolerable acts. For all their good intentions...

newoodguy78

It's a bummer to hear they're going after the little producer yet not surprising. Any small established direct retail operation I know producing anything saw sales rise in the last few years. Now they want a piece of the pie   :snowball: :snowball: .
If they want to govern someone they ought to start with the person they see in the mirror.

thecfarm

The mirror.
Just like a lot of people I have met over the years. If it don't have anything to do with them they are all for it. 
If it does have something to do with them, they don't want it.
Meaning it has to better them or they don't want it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

There was a little specialty shop that was told had to cease selling home made jam. My guess is someone opened a jar and never finished eating it for 2 years to the point it was growing 'whiskers', as mother would call it. Government wants you to eat all them poisons in the factory jam put in on purpose. Anything that can kill the lower organisms can kill a human, just takes more of it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

My BIL in Birmingham said the city has shut down teens getting out mowing yards because they did not have business licenses and such. I am sure the large landscaping businesses were at the root of it. Where is a kid going to learn basic work ethics and running a business if he can't do odd jobs and such. Its truly a shame. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!